The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lower notes panned left & Higher notes panned Right
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Lower notes panned left & Higher notes panned Right

So I came up with an idea.....

What I'm trying to do is make a stereo Piano/Rhodes sound having one sound more towards the left and another towards the right. For example when playing with both hands the left hand is the piano and the right hand is the rhodes but I dont want to completely (split) the two sounds, instead having them blend with eachother as they merge...as if the volume gets lower where both sounds merge vise versa and getting panned apart...

Piano is tilted more to the left, when playing lower notes the more it goes to hard left and when going towards higher notes the rhodes go towards the right, but not completely losing the right signal from the piano, otherwise I would hard pan left/right the two sounds..

(If I pan each sound hard left and right) I would still be having the upper notes and lower notes on each side!

This way Im having one performance sound but a wide stereo piano....hope it makes sense. So the best way I can describe is the more lower notes I play the piano the more it gets panned left and the more I play the rhodes the more it gets panned right...

I was thinking there might be something like an envelope that I can (Tilt) the pan L+R balance of a sound such as piano VST Lower notes panned left & Higher notes panned Right.

Another way of explaining is to record the performance midi track and copy to another track having (2 midi tracks) layer then removing the higher notes from one and leaving the lower notes on the other and vise versa panning them apart.

Its like crossfading notes of two sounds

Would Love it if I can achieve this with Omnisphere or Kontakt.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by DimensionStudio; 4 weeks ago at 01:49 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The obvious solution, complementary EQs on L and R, doesn't quite do what you want... you can set it up for low fundamentals on the left, but those notes' harmonics will still be on the right.

You could throw together a quick plug in something like SonicBirth, filter for the lowest note at any time, and use that to control a panner. Easy program. But chords would be forced to one side.

If you want to do a lot of recursive programming, why not banks of narrow filters, each panned differently? Still will try to pan the harmonics across the field, depending on the specific sound.

How about, instead, using the ancient stereo simulation trick of complementary comb filters? The piano will be very wide, and there'll be some panning depending on the notes... but it won't be a strict left-to-right following the keyboard.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
The obvious solution, complementary EQs on L and R, doesn't quite do what you want... you can set it up for low fundamentals on the left, but those notes' harmonics will still be on the right.

You could throw together a quick plug in something like SonicBirth, filter for the lowest note at any time, and use that to control a panner. Easy program. But chords would be forced to one side.

If you want to do a lot of recursive programming, why not banks of narrow filters, each panned differently? Still will try to pan the harmonics across the field, depending on the specific sound.

How about, instead, using the ancient stereo simulation trick of complementary comb filters? The piano will be very wide, and there'll be some panning depending on the notes... but it won't be a strict left-to-right following the keyboard.
Thank you for your reply Jay...

Anything using filters such as EQ L + R Im gonna lose tonal quality.. Lets say if one track was high passed and the other low passed.. the low passed would sound dark and unnatural...

Comb filtering? adding a delay to one side? isnt that like the Haas effect?
need to search on that..

I know there is something that can tilt the pan velocity of the notes, keeping the tone but the same time the LR balance was tilted... I remember doing this on my yamaha motif xf keyboard dont know what the envelope was called something like ( xy-yx )
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i've been using allpass filters to steer things apart...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Without getting into custom sampler programs or programming Max, you can try a plugin like https://www.audiodamage.com/products/ad028-panstation or https://www.meldaproduction.com/MSpectralPan

The first will trigger from Midi note and the second can pan via frequency detection. I don't know if it would do what you're asking but worth a look.

A lot of sampled pianos are programmed with player perspective panning already. Some DAWs have MIDI processing or plugins that can manipulate the panning data so look into that too.

Also this is the Post Production forum so maybe check out the other forums to ask there.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search