The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please answer question regarding connecting components
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Please answer question regarding connecting components

May I ask a question, please? I have a Roland VT-4 which I want to use as the computer interface since I have ordered a DBX pre-amp that doesn't have a USB output. The Roland VT-4 ALSO has a pre-amp. Do I connect the Roland mike input XLR to the DBX Line Output 1/4 jack or to the DBX 1/4 INSERT jack? I want to be ale to use the effects (compressor etc.) from the DBX, of course or I would just use the Roland pre-amp by itself. Again, the chain is Computer to Roland to DBX to Mike.Thanks so much!

George
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Both are line level and will overload the mic pre input without some attenuation.

You could run the line out of the DBX in to a DI box and then into the VT-4.
Old 4 weeks ago
Although not 100% technically correct, as a live and studio engineer, I have daisy chained preamps on many occasions. It would be ideal to be able to pad the signal prior to inputting to your VT unit bit not absolutely necessary.
If the DBX unit has an initial gain and a output gain, use the initial gain to set mic level, then keep the DBX's output level low enough to not overdrive the I put stage of your VT.
If you want to be 100% technically correct you can solder a resistor in the xlr connector or get one of these https://www.parts-express.com/in-lin...-20db--240-416

Honestly though, just keep the signal low enough from the DBX and you should be fine. Use you ears.
Cheers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to respond; it was very appreciated!

Sincerely,
George
Old 3 weeks ago
Anytime.
Have fun with it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search