The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KM84
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

KM84

Looking to purchase a KM84. Suggestions on price, and variations in models? Anything to look out for specifically when finding one of these?
Old 3 weeks ago
Buy one as new as possible. Late 80s model in good condition think that is in the #55xxx range. I got 4 myself, had 5 at one time. But the one i sold off looked beaten up and was missing some bass.

It can be a bit hit and miss but if you're looking for an unmatched pair you might have to buy and sell a couple of times. As long as yoy don't over pay you should be able to get what you paid when you want resell.

Sweden's go price is around 1-1200$. I would probably pay 2500$ for a matched pair.

Here's a brief test with two of my km84s I did. One is from the matched mint pair the other one is a random one i bought, still quite close in #

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...ipZ2aUCpAivYeq
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i'd never spend as much on (a pair of) 84' - if so, i'd get schoeps for flat response or km184's if the slight hf boost isn't a concern...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i'd never spend as much on (a pair of) 84' - if so, i'd get schoeps for flat response or km184's if the slight hf boost isn't a concern...
it's not just the harsh character of the 184 ..they also don't have a pad..why i have no clue ..but it makes recording anything like close miked congas or rack toms a bust
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
it's not just the harsh character of the 184 ..they also don't have a pad..why i have no clue ..but it makes recording anything like close miked congas or rack toms a bust
i don't get the whining about the km184: it outperforms the km84 in every aspect, except for fr response (well, flat is not an advantage in all situations) and pad - no problem with the digital version though.

and no, i don't use condensers on congas or toms EVER! simply not needed and a waste of resources imo...

(...but before anyone starts crying: i didn't even use any for tony wiliams, airto moreira or pretty much any high profile drummer/percussionist you can think of!)

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3 weeks ago at 06:02 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i don't know i guess subjective feel but the 184 grates on my ears in the most sensitive freq area the presence range

love tony williams btw what you do with him..[i liked the 84's on racks btw..i guess we had a ton of mikes ]
Old 3 weeks ago
It's great if you prefer the km184 it's allot cheaper and accessible.!

I guess if you're doing softer music I bet the km184 could sound great but I do mainly heavy music so the km84 fits cymbal bashers allot better!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i don't know i guess subjective feel but the 184 grates on my ears in the most sensitive freq area the presence range

love tony williams btw what you do with him..[i liked the 84's on racks btw..i guess we had a ton of mikes ]
although on paper the frequency response of both the analog and the digital km184 look equal (they better do, using the same capsule), the different output stage or the conversion imo do something from which the mic benefits:

quite often, i'm using schoeps or neuheisers on string quartets and would stay clear of km184's for this application! same for km84's but for other reasons...
(unless the room would sound very dull and dampened - now i wouldn't record strings in such a room but that's another topic)
the digital version however seems to work without engaging a filter (or by tweaking filters by the same amount)... - dunno why though.

___

[tony? mixing his quintet live over here in the old world - remember an amazing story from that time, relating to tony and oh mics - and another story relating to cymbals which most aficianos probably won't believe! wrong thread though...]
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
It's great if you prefer the km184 it's allot cheaper and accessible.!

I guess if you're doing softer music I bet the km184 could sound great but I do mainly heavy music so the km84 fits cymbal bashers allot better!
it's true that i get to work with bands playing at soft to medium spl levels more often yet i also prefer 184 in loud situations, especially due to the fact that the newer version can take much higher levels before clipping! and to compensate for the hf boost, i'm using filters (on the way in)...

too many heavy hitters use too thick cymbals though! this is annoying, no matter what mics are getting used...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This KM86 (link removed) auction still looks reasonable (865 euro) with just two bidders so far. Could end up like a good deal. (not my auction fyi).

(someone removed the link for the auction, maybe it's forum policy or something... who knows)

Last edited by matucha; 3 weeks ago at 05:58 PM.. Reason: clarifying the missing link to the auction
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

...forgot to mention that i'm getting one of my km84's repaired :-) one can never have enough (working) mics!

(no idea about costs but i hate gear getting dumped which can get fixed and brought up to specs again)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"Nah, don't bother. Just donate this useless old technology to a mic museum, it won't cost you anything (except for shipping of course)............. I'm building a new mic museum, you can send your old mics to me in any quantity you like "

ehhh... old joke
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
This KM86 auction still looks reasonable (865 euro) with just two bidders so far. Could end up like a good deal. (not my auction fyi).
i bought a mint 86 for 2k US a few months past..if ya think about it is 2 capsules that were in km 84's and they go for about 1k each
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There was a time years ago when I owned both a pair of KM184 and a pair of KM84 mics. I sold the 184 pair and kept the 84 pair. Enough said.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i bought a mint 86 for 2k US a few months past..if ya think about it is 2 capsules that were in km 84's and they go for about 1k each
Is it twice that useful though? It's super rare for me to switch to something else than cardiod on my KM76s. I used omni for rooms and atmospheres, played around with MS a bit and used fig8 on snare to reject the hihat. But that was like 1% of the use in my case.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Is it twice that useful though? It's super rare for me to switch to something else than cardiod on my KM76s. I used omni for rooms and atmospheres, played around with MS a bit and used fig8 on snare to reject the hihat. But that was like 1% of the use in my case.

i use fig 8 with the 86 on acoustic gtr with vocals to reject the singer off the top of my head
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
There was a time years ago when I owned both a pair of KM184 and a pair of KM84 mics. I sold the 184 pair and kept the 84 pair. Enough said.
Pretty much the same here. I own a bunch of KM's : 3 84's, 2 86's, 2 53's, and 2 140's. I had a pair of 186's on long term loan for quite awhile. I gave those back. It's not just the bright freq rise on them - they have a "hard" feel that I generally do not care for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search