The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Delay to put in front of a spring reverb?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Delay to put in front of a spring reverb?

Hi there

Wasn’t sure where to post this so please move if in the wrong forum.

I’ve got a few hardware spring reverbs and would like to pick up a hardware delay unit in order to be able to add a pre-delay to the timing of the spring reverb for drums etc.

Can anyone suggest a cheap stereo delay unit for this purpose please? it needs to have a wet/dry option so it can be entirely wet, be digital to not change the character as it passes through, no feedback or repeats - just to delay the signal a few ms.

I used to use an eventide timefactor for this purpose but sold it a while back and don’t want to spend quite as much just for this purpose if I can avoid it.

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Look into the tc electronic flashback 2x4

You can create custom patches with exact specs on by plugging it into a computer
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump View Post
Hi there

Wasn’t sure where to post this so please move if in the wrong forum.

I’ve got a few hardware spring reverbs and would like to pick up a hardware delay unit in order to be able to add a pre-delay to the timing of the spring reverb for drums etc.

Can anyone suggest a cheap stereo delay unit for this purpose please? it needs to have a wet/dry option so it can be entirely wet, be digital to not change the character as it passes through, no feedback or repeats - just to delay the signal a few ms.

I used to use an eventide timefactor for this purpose but sold it a while back and don’t want to spend quite as much just for this purpose if I can avoid it.

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

We really need to know what Spring Reverbs as the frequency response to other features could become an important factor in deciding exactly the age, type or sound source of the delay and let’s not forget many more modern Spring Reverbs did come with very basic millisecond Hass to imparting delay options.

If I’m throwing a guess at some serious AKG BX or Roland to whatever Vintage Reverb you’re ideally wanting a Delay that offers envelope shaping to more then simply timing control. The Lexicon PCM-41 is perfect as is the LXP-1, 11 or 15, multi effects in the latter the 41 should be your price and then if change comes your losing nothing on the investment here.

Please, please,! Expand in details you will gain more knowledge in replies. The only stupid question is that never asked!

Good luck,
TLB
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
Look into the tc electronic flashback 2x4

You can create custom patches with exact specs on by plugging it into a computer
Thanks but no wet dry control on it so no good unfortunately.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
We really need to know what Spring Reverbs as the frequency response to other features could become an important factor in deciding exactly the age, type or sound source of the delay and let’s not forget many more modern Spring Reverbs did come with very basic millisecond Hass to imparting delay options.

If I’m throwing a guess at some serious AKG BX or Roland to whatever Vintage Reverb you’re ideally wanting a Delay that offers envelope shaping to more then simply timing control. The Lexicon PCM-41 is perfect as is the LXP-1, 11 or 15, multi effects in the latter the 41 should be your price and then if change comes your losing nothing on the investment here.

Please, please,! Expand in details you will gain more knowledge in replies. The only stupid question is that never asked!

Good luck,
TLB
Thanks for your comments.

I have two Roland space echos, a 201 and 501, and a Vermona DSR-3 and a Vermona Retroverb.

I want something that is not going to change the character of the sound that is being delayed ideally and I don’t want/need envelope shaping in the delay as that feels a bit like overkill.

I have a desk with aux sends and eq to handle what frequencies are passed to the reverbs.

I’ll have a look at the Lexicons thank you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I was just going to post the exact same thing, haha. I have a Demeter Spring Reverb. I have a PCM-41 but I was having trouble with it for predelay. There are a lot of controls on the PCM-41, and I 'm not sure if you can do just delay out. I know the PCM-42 has a dedicated delay out, but who wants to use that awesome unit for predelay? There is a Lexicon 1300 that would be perfect, but I already picked one up but it was defective, so something newer and inexpensive would be ideal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Someone recommended a Roland sde 1000 or 3000 to me (offline) for this pre-delay purpose and they look just right and would be cheap. Just need to find one in the UK.

The Korg Ssd-3000 pedal looks a candidate too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Check out BSS TCS-804 or Klark Teknik DN716.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
Check out BSS TCS-804 or Klark Teknik DN716.
Exactly what I need thank you very much
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump View Post
Exactly what I need thank you very much
I can't find much info. on either of those units. It looks like they would work, but they are also vintage and who knows for how long.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

standard (line) delays as used in live sr ages ago...
- a spx90 would also do for the op's purpose.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
standard (line) delays as used in live sr ages ago...
- a spx90 would also do for the op's purpose.
I've used my SPX 990 (or maybe its a 900) as plate predelay.

You might consider a TC D-Two as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I've used my SPX 990 (or maybe its a 900) as plate predelay.

You might consider a TC D-Two as well.
sure the d2 or 2290 or whatever delay would also work - imo the poor conversion of some of the older devices has a unique charme though.
Old 4 weeks ago
I have an Akai 630D SS machine running constantly when mixing and one of the tracks are almost always acting as a predelay for my spring reverb. After I started doing this I get the vocal sound I want at least 20% faster.
Are you on a console, ITB or somehow hybrid? To get the best out of a consumer RTR in this facility you will need some way of sending it back to itself. I know you say you don't want a feedback option, but trust me... it's so addictive for the pre delay and also somehow compensates for the lack of speed control. Dense as ****, actually I'm not that busy getting a plate for this reason since I like dry drums anyway and got access to a concrete corridor which ain't exactly flexible but sounds great. If you go this route make sure to get one with varispeed and ideally one that runs 15 IPS although I get by with 7,5 plus wherever the varispeed takes me to (10,5 I guess).
Just don't buy a nice pro deck with fresh heads to run it like this. Would break my heart and add up to the prices rising. A beat up B77 HS would be more than enough.

Also I like my Dynacord Minicord Echo and Yamaha E1005 bucket brigade. None of these are stereo though so you would need two, but both do have wet/dry blend and both can go really fast. Frankly I never bothered with any of these for predelay though, cause I love the sound of the Akai for this so much and with a bit of noodling around behind the console can squeeze four channels of tape delay out of it if need be. But they're lovely FX machines in their own right and as a bonus the chorus on the E1005 are simply outrageous.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Some great suggestions and info here. The TC Electronic D Two can still be found new and is cheap
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
So I picked up a TC Electronic D-Two for £165 new from Thomann and a Klark Teknik DN716 for £19 from eBay.

Many thanks and a clear victory for Gearslutz eveywhere.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search