The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar Multi-FX processors.....
Old 29th October 2002
Gear Nut

Guitar Multi-FX processors.....

Rocktron Intelliflex, TC electronics G-major or G-force.........

What would you go for? Something that gives high quality FX without sacrificing tone. It's OK if sounds digital, sometimes I like it that way. But I just can't make up my motherluvin' mind about wut to get!! Some sound like ****(korg) and some feel like that first line of cocaine.
Old 29th October 2002
Lives for gear

the rocktron stuff is pretty cool and provides a lot of features
( i owned the replifex & intellifex once , now they are just - ex ) .

stomp boxes have a more original sound to the tone , but like you said its ok that it sounds digital .

the best stuff ive heard so far with a guitar rack :
tc 2290 ( delay ) , lexicon pcm 70 ( reverb ) , tc 1210 ( chorus ) , yamaha spx 90 II ( delay ) .

those units are called " classic effects " , maybe they are a bit pricey but lend it a ear , those gear provide a killer sound .
and you can be sure if you are gonna sell em again you get some value out of it .

and by the way the intellifex and g-major sound pretty nice , too .

maybe that helps ??? good luck
Old 29th October 2002
Gear Nut

Thanks mate.

I think that only a combination of great stompboxes and rackFX can give the perfect sound(if it exists). The problem with me is that I'm the kinda guy who has to try every possible option before makin the final decision. But there's so much gear out there it's drivin' me nuts!! If I had alotta money, I'd buy everything first and try it out later.
Old 30th October 2002
Lives for gear

what is your current setup ?

rack based system ? amps ?

if you wanna have the " perfect " thing , make sure your personal backliner is willing to setup your 12* vox ac 30 hooked up to 6 ams dmx delays for that outro part of song no.4 that appears only once during the show heh

http://www.u2germany.com/u2sound/equipment_edge.htm

you can smoke a box of cigarettes till the scroll down is finished .
but its fun

if youve tested all those gear let us know what u think about it ,
peace
Old 30th October 2002
Lives for gear

Check out the Kurzweil KSP8 thread!
Old 30th October 2002
Lives for gear

I have a Vox Tonebender that acts as a distortion unit and when the input is slightly unplugged turns into a fine oscilator controlled by the volume control.
Old 30th October 2002
Ok, the ideal is to have all the great classics + all the stomps + everything patched on a footswitch with hundreds of combinations and you'll still need probably more than one delay, reverb, chorus... you get the picture...
So if you're looking for a rack FX unit, go for the G-Force + a nice footswitch w/ expression pedals and you'll have almost all the nice fx (w/ a great tone) and all the possibilities of a multiFX unit...
By the way, I'm a drummer!!:eek:
Old 30th October 2002
Lives for gear

The DP-4+ is a pretty bitchin' box for guitar effects. The R7, and M7 from sony have a lot of 'goto' stuff for guitar effects processing as well. The M5000 has basically every pedal with some bonuses the TC electronic(s) made, but that's a little pricey.
Old 30th October 2002
Gear Maniac

I hate digital sounding tones and any box that makes a guitar sound manufactured.

I needed a box and shopped around a year ago. I tried all kinds and the only thing that would go from a Modern tone to a TRUE sounding blues tone or Fender Clean was.... POD.

My Pod pro and foot pedal have made it easy to be VERSAILE.

Absolutely the flexible unit and best sounding out there!

IMHOyuktyy yuktyy
Old 31st October 2002
Lives for gear

I prefer two or three amps and a nice pedal board with a good selection of vintage and boutique "thru bypass" stomp boxes anyday of the week.

Hell, even just one versatile amp with the aforementioned pedal board gets my vote over of any magic dust all-in-one box.

Just my non guitar-player but alot of guitar/amps/stompboxes owner's $0.02...
Old 31st October 2002
Gear Maniac

Major Tom to Ground Control:

I never said don't use an amp. You've got to have tubes! I keep a fender amp under the stage cranked up and mic'd with a 57.

My point was versatility & sound vs other units. If you haven't spent an hr with a POD to see what it can really do, you might consider it. I was surprised. I was fixing to give up and buy a bunch of pedals.

To do what a POD can do you would need about 5-10 distortion pedals, cabinet emulator, echo, reverb, chorus, wah/volume pedal, etc. That would be a lot of money. In closing, the POD does these in a quality way, a lot better than most others.
Old 31st October 2002
Well... the POD is the POD right? But the FX on it kinda... aren't enought...
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Nut

I played through the line 6 vetta HD this morning at a friends house, and I gotta say it ROCKS!!!! It completely smokes the POD. Is there going to be a rack version of the vetta? Coz if there is, then I would definitely buy it. These modeler things just keep getting better and better! I used to be a sKeptiC(and still believe that no-one will be able 2 emulate the real thing any time soon), but after hearing the vetta.... I just dont care anymore, it just sounds so damn freakin' GOOD!
Old 1st November 2002
"line 6 vetta HD"

What is the HD?

I tried the combo, the Hiwatt modeling was amazing! Pure Pete Townsend!

If they ever do a Vetta pre amp only model, I am interested!
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Nut

Jules check it out on www.line6.com

As for a rack version of the vetta, I just emailed them asking if they are considering it.
Old 1st November 2002
Tempting....

Rack is favorite though!

Old 1st November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123
Major Tom to Ground Control:

If you haven't spent an hr with a POD to see what it can really do, you might consider it.
I bought one when they came out and sold it. I also have Ampfarm in my PT and never use it. I don't know, there's something that's really annoying me with the sound you get out of those... I much prefer the Sansamp PSA-1 as a general-purpose distortion unit. (The hardware one of course! But even the plug-in is more useful to me than Ampfarm. Go figure...) I admit that to work out song ideas at home the POD can be really useful though. I don't see why you need a zillion sounds when playing live... A couple of fuzz options and 2-3 overdrives (including amps) seems about fine to me. And if you do all out rock, you really just need 2 sounds...
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Maniac

Sorry, I couldn't resist the Bowie reference...

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
I much prefer the Sansamp PSA-1 as a general-purpose distortion unit.
I will have to try it. I hear that the bass DI from Sansamp is a coveted piece as well. Thanks for the tip. And with the talk of a new and better Line 6 Product.... I'm getting gear lust all over again.

BTW, you're right about all out rock as well.heh
Old 1st November 2002
Which one is the Sans Amp Bass DI? Is it the little stomp box? Does the PSA rackmount has settings for bass?
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

The bass di is a stomp box although I think they now make a rack version.
I only used it once to record... Wurlitzer piano!

I think the one to have is the PSA-1 rack. You basically can do pretty much everything with it. I use it all the time (as well as my B-15 amp and the rogue SVT400) on bass... and DRUMS!!!
Old 2nd November 2002
Is the rack version called PSA-1 or PSA-5?
I think I should visit Tech 21's web site huh?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search