The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2020 : Best Mic?
Old 13th January 2020
  #1
Here for the gear
 

2020 : Best Mic?

Hello,

So, in 2020, what is the most Hypercardioid Mic available?

Like the tightest polar pattern, for the best possible lateral rejection?
Old 13th January 2020
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttkfirst View Post
Hello,

So, in 2020, what is the most Hypercardioid Mic available?

Like the tightest polar pattern, for the best possible lateral rejection?
For what application?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Maybe a (tube) LDC that lets you seamlessly adjust the polar pattern from the PSU would be the right choice?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
I don't know about best, and it isn't nearly new in 2020, and it doesn't qualify precisely [or even roughly] with your query - but. . .for some a number of years I've used a Schoeps CCM 41 [a super-cardioid].

It is interesting that Schoeps doesn't [to my knowledge] even advertise a hyper-cardioid? Why do you think that is? I am curious about your application and if a shotgun might be an acceptable substitute.

A couple years back I added a MiniCMIT [a great shotgun] to my kit. Likely I'll never sell it; but someday I'm going to up this. game to a Schoeps Double MS kit.

Other people with greater experience and expertise than me can argue over 'best' - but I'm a happy camper.


Hope you find what you're looking for,

Ray H.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttkfirst View Post
Hello,

So, in 2020, what is the most Hypercardioid Mic available?

Like the tightest polar pattern, for the best possible lateral rejection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
For what application?
Adding to Brent's question, dynamic, condenser, Large or small diameter?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Adding to Brent's question, dynamic, condenser, Large or small diameter?
Let's say that it doesn't matter.

I know it sounds weird, but I use my mic in a live situation for sound effects with my mouth.
Also, I use a LOT of processing&FX.
So for a start, I'm not paying attention to sound quality right now.

The thing is I play with a saxophonist on stage.

So the only criteria I am focusing right now is the ability of rejecting anything that is not coming in front of the mic.
I'm thinking like crazy tight polar pattern, with zero sound taken if it deviates from a few degrees!

Dynamic, condenser, lavalier, shotgun, whatever...
I really don't care as far as it is the best at rejecting sounds coming from the sides and back.

Dear fellow Gearslutzians, give me all you got!

PS: I currently own an AUDIX OM7.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttkfirst View Post
Let's say that it doesn't matter.

I know it sounds weird, but I use my mic in a live situation for sound effects with my mouth.
Also, I use a LOT of processing&FX.
So for a start, I'm not paying attention to sound quality right now.

The thing is I play with a saxophonist on stage.

So the only criteria I am focusing right now is the ability of rejecting anything that is not coming in front of the mic.
I'm thinking like crazy tight polar pattern, with zero sound taken if it deviates from a few degrees!

Dynamic, condenser, lavalier, shotgun, whatever...
I really don't care as far as it is the best at rejecting sounds coming from the sides and back.

Dear fellow Gearslutzians, give me all you got!

PS: I currently own an AUDIX OM7.
Based on this, Beyerdynamic M88 or M69. Both pretty tight hypercardioid patterns and not to bright.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 
bryan441's Avatar
 

You should check,
Sennheiser MKH-416 or Audix SCX1-HC
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttkfirst View Post
[. . .] So the only criteria I am focusing right now is the ability of rejecting anything that is not coming in front of the mic.
I'm thinking like crazy tight polar pattern, with zero sound taken if it deviates from a few degrees! [. . .]
I believe that most any hyper-cardioid mic will have increased sensitivity directly behind the mic - more so than a super-cardioid. And in live scenarios, I'm also wondering if you are also having to deal with feedback issues for the mic?

Does the mic need to be especially close to [or far away from] your mouth for the effects?

Since you are playing sax, I'm assuming the mic is currently fixed on a stand?

Assuming that you are not intending to use the mic to capture the sax itself?

Could a lav mic very close to your mouth be an option?


Ray H.

EDIT: The sun got in my eyes. I just reread and saw you wrote 'The thing is I play with a saxophonist on stage.' You are purely a vocalist?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
I'm a pretty big fan of the Oktava MK-012 with the hypercardioid capsule. Schoeps MK41 would probably have better rejection though, great if you can afford/justify it.

You might also want a dynamic like the Beyerdynamic M88.

But you might not find what you want in terms of rejection. If you can hear it and it's on stage there's a good chance the mic will pick it up. The solution is, IMO, keep the saxophonist as far away as you can.

It might also help to tell us your budget too.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 4 weeks ago at 03:27 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttkfirst View Post
Let's say that it doesn't matter.

I know it sounds weird, but I use my mic in a live situation for sound effects with my mouth.
Also, I use a LOT of processing&FX.
So for a start, I'm not paying attention to sound quality right now..
Sounds like what you need is a military-type noise rejecting headset. UmeCobra makes good ones.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttkfirst View Post
Let's say that it doesn't matter.[…]
I use my mic in a live situation for sound effects with my mouth.
Also, I use a LOT of processing&FX.
So for a start, I'm not paying attention to sound quality right now.

The thing is I play with a saxophonist on stage.

So the only criteria I am focusing right now is the ability of rejecting anything that is not coming in front of the mic.
I'm thinking like crazy tight polar pattern, with zero sound taken if it deviates from a few degrees!
A Microtech Gefell KEM 975 mounted horizontally would be one option. Nothing else like it; priced accordingly. Here's one on Reverb.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
Coles 4104 commentator's microphone. Extremely insensitive to surrounding sounds. You push it against your upper lip. It was used by the BBC a lot and is totally compatible with that typical British stiff upper lip speech. http://coleselectroacoustics.com/mic...ors-microphone
Attached Thumbnails
2020 : Best Mic?-coles_4104.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Sounds like what you need is a military-type noise rejecting headset. UmeCobra makes good ones.
"Military grade" ? Oh, yeah I already like the idea...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
I believe that most any hyper-cardioid mic will have increased sensitivity directly behind the mic - more so than a super-cardioid. And in live scenarios, I'm also wondering if you are also having to deal with feedback issues for the mic?

Does the mic need to be especially close to [or far away from] your mouth for the effects?

Since you are playing sax, I'm assuming the mic is currently fixed on a stand?

Assuming that you are not intending to use the mic to capture the sax itself?

Could a lav mic very close to your mouth be an option?


Ray H.

EDIT: The sun got in my eyes. I just reread and saw you wrote 'The thing is I play with a saxophonist on stage.' You are a purely a vocalist?
I definitely would prefer a mic on a stand (for freedom, as I can't use a wireless pack)

But OK... if the only solution is a lavalier, I could think about it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
I'm a pretty big fan of the Oktava MK-012 with the hypercardioid capsule. Schoeps MK41 would probably have better rejection though, great if you can afford/justify it.

You might also want a dynamic like the Beyerdynamic M88.

But you might not find what you want in terms of rejection. If you can hear it and it's on stage there's a good chance the mic will pick it up. The solution is, IMO, keep the saxophonist as far away as you can.

It might also help to tell us your budget too.
I just had a look at their polar pattern. On paper, they don't seem better than my Audix, do they?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
A Microtech Gefell KEM 975 mounted horizontally would be one option. Nothing else like it; priced accordingly. Here's one on Reverb.
A bit pricey obviously, but a really nice idea!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Coles 4104 commentator's microphone. Extremely insensitive to surrounding sounds. You push it against your upper lip. It was used by the BBC a lot and is totally compatible with that typical British stiff upper lip speech. http://coleselectroacoustics.com/mic...ors-microphone
Nice one, but I somehow doubt about its hypercardioid pattern.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttkfirst View Post
Nice one, but I somehow doubt about its hypercardioid pattern.
It is, in fact, bi-directional...on paper.
But i‘ve heard it in use in the pit lane of car races, where it is still used today on british TV.
For all intents and purposes, it is like a portable vocal booth.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Tough to fit inside though.
Chris
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump