The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Found old speakers
Old 11th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Found old speakers

Hi, I just started to build a homestudio and found some speakers in the garage.

What do you say about those? Which one to Keep and what amp would that require?

Sanyo sx 255
Mirsch om 61
Sony ss-a025 (blurry picture but I think the chars/numbers are correct).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

So noone has heard about those speakers? :S
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My guess is that they're home stereo speakers and don't really live in this world.
That's not an opinion on their quality - just a possible explanation for the silence.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinJacobsson View Post
Hi, I just started to build a homestudio and found some speakers in the garage.

What do you say about those? Which one to Keep and what amp would that require?

Sanyo sx 255
Mirsch om 61
Sony ss-a025 (blurry picture but I think the chars/numbers are correct).
The Sanyo look like they might have a chance.

Mirsch might be cool for listening room after all recording, mixing, and mastering is done.

Looks like you have the wrong Sony model number. Any amp should be able to drive most hifi speakers.

I believe the infamous Yamaha ns10 started as a bookshelf hi-fi speaker so it's wrong to discount a speaker that isn't labeled as "studio".
Old 4 weeks ago
If you have Room EQ Wizard, you can measure them in your room and see what you get. Compare the impulse response to your existing monitors. Examples here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your answers!

What amp do you suggest for me to try with for a reasonable $?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your answers!

It all depends on your use. "home studio" can mean a million things.

You basically have 2 choices.

Home audio amps, hifi/audiophile, home theater, etc.

Pro Audio
The issue with these is that most have loud fans, so for a home studio where you record in the same room as the amps are, not a good idea and SUPER annoying to turn you amp off while recording then turn it back on, don't recommend it.

So you can put the amp in a separate room or get an amp without a fan.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
It all depends on your use. "home studio" can mean a million things.

You basically have 2 choices.

Home audio amps, hifi/audiophile, home theater, etc.

Pro Audio
The issue with these is that most have loud fans, so for a home studio where you record in the same room as the amps are, not a good idea and SUPER annoying to turn you amp off while recording then turn it back on, don't recommend it.

So you can put the amp in a separate room or get an amp without a fan.
Okay! How do I know which watt/ohm and so on? Never had anything to do with passiv speakers/amps before, or how to calculate. Could I break something in worst case?

Please give me specific examples of $100-$200 amps if thats not too low.

Oh, by the way. I just built a studio with 2 rooms, i also have the possibility to store the amp in a outside/cold room, winter down to -10 / -20 celsius, summer +30 celsius.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay! How do I know which watt/ohm and so on? Never had anything to do with passiv speakers/amps before, or how to calculate. Could I break something in worst case?

Please give me specific examples of $100-$200 amps if thats not too low.

Oh, by the way. I just built a studio with 2 rooms, i also have the possibility to store the amp in a outside/cold room, winter down to -10 / -20 celsius, summer +30 celsius.
For 100-200 that is a tough one, especially since I'm in the US and don't know the market where you live.

Also I couldn't find any data on your speakers so hard to say if you need a 4ohm stable amp or not.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Get a cheap chip amp. I don't think it makes sense to spend a lot before you know the speakers are worth anything.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Get a cheap chip amp. I don't think it makes sense to spend a lot before you know the speakers are worth anything.
One like this?
https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-TD...20307678&psc=1
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
One like this?
I think SMSL has one that's even cheaper but doesn't come with the AC adapter. But you get the idea.
Old 3 weeks ago
tkr
Gear Addict
I googled a bit.

If anything, I would try out the Mirsch first. They were pretty expensive when new, and they allow you to tweak the sound by regulating tweeter and woofer separately by +/- 2 dB.

https://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Mirsch_OM_61

The Sanyos are mass produced midfi speakers. You could pick up a working pair for about 20€.

Amplification? You would probably need something which gives you 20-50 Watts RMS into 4 Ohms.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkr View Post
I googled a bit.

If anything, I would try out the Mirsch first. They were pretty expensive when new, and they allow you to tweak the sound by regulating tweeter and woofer separately by +/- 2 dB.

https://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Mirsch_OM_61

The Sanyos are mass produced midfi speakers. You could pick up a working pair for about 20€.

Amplification? You would probably need something which gives you 20-50 Watts RMS into 4 Ohms.
It looks like the Mirsch have the tweeters on the top and shooting up, that's why I said they might be good for a playback room but not for studio work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search