The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG D19C and D12
Old 15th December 2019
Here for the gear

AKG D19C and D12

Hi All,

I picked up an AKG D19C and AKG D12 today in absolute mint condition for 200 euro's each. They look as if they have never been used. (bought it from a guy who got them from a store that was closing down)
The AKG D12 is in its original box with a long cable wrapped around the cardboard holder and there is no connector at the end of the cable. The cable is open at the end and the the wires start a couple of centimeters further in the cable. (i added some pictures below)
Did some D12's come like that for people to connect their own plug?

It's a while i wanted to have an AKG D12. The D19C was not really on my bucket list, but for that price and in that condition i couldn't keep myself from adding it to my collection.
I know the D19 has been discussed in many threads over the years but maybe just for fun some people could tell me what it really shines on? I find a lot of loose information so would be nice to have a to the point thread on where to use it without having to discuss wether or not they are worth the ridiculous amount they go for. I just happen to have one now and would like to try it on as many sources as possible. If people are interested i could even try post some samples on here.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
AKG D19C and D12-unnamed-1.jpg   AKG D19C and D12-unnamed.jpg   AKG D19C and D12-img_2114.jpg  
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Longest post ever because I just ate a plate of pancakes.

I use both for many years. They're just regular mics that can be substituted with many others ..and mostly good because they are dynamic mics.

If Ringo did in fact use them, and they didn't change mics out for the photos, which would take a minute of the second-engineers time, then I guess what they'd shine on is bass and overhead. Crank up Beatles Revolver, it is SO good.

The D12 is good for bass cab or bass drum. And if you like it on bass drum, you can leave it permanently set up and be able to jump on the kit and hit record at any moment. I love that.

As for D19 .. think of it as a lesser beautiful R15 ..in that it can do anything, acoustic guitar, vocal, or on any drum, etc.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Supposedly there's a photo of the young (& gorgeous) Barbara Mandrell singing into a D12, in an old Fender Catalog.
Good enough for me!
Chris
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
As for D19 .. think of it as a lesser beautiful R15 ..in that it can do anything, acoustic guitar, vocal, or on any drum, etc.
They're similar but different and equally awesome. It's got more bottom than an RE15 but the top isn't quite as nice. I've got both and use them equally often on the same sources.
D19 is fantastic on toms and snare, it's the Ringo OH on many mid period records so you've likely heard it there, it's great on acoustic guitar (I swapped it for an RE15 in that position just last week. the guitar was a bit bright on it's own and the RE15 made it sound nice but a little thin. The D19 sounded huge), it's also great on the back of an upright piano and lots of vocals. You can point it at almost anything and it will do a decent job (provided it's working which is a real gamble these days).
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

D24 was used for Frank's studio vocal on "It Was A Very Good Year". Major sleeper vocal mic.
Chris
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
They're similar but different and equally awesome. It's got more bottom than an RE15 but the top isn't quite as nice. I've got both and use them equally often on the same sources.
D19 is fantastic on toms and snare, it's the Ringo OH on many mid period records so you've likely heard it there, it's great on acoustic guitar (I swapped it for an RE15 in that position just last week. the guitar was a bit bright on it's own and the RE15 made it sound nice but a little thin. The D19 sounded huge), it's also great on the back of an upright piano and lots of vocals. You can point it at almost anything and it will do a decent job (provided it's working which is a real gamble these days).
Yep, true that.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

One great thing about the D19 is that it's a directional mic with almost no proximity effect, so you can put it really close to a source and not get lots of woofy low mid.

As others have said, particularly great on toms and acoustic guitar, and can be a very good vocal mic. Tried it once on overheads and didn't like it.
Old 15th December 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone for the response! Interesting thing about the proximity effect!

Anyone has knowledge of the cable not having a plug?
Any experience soldering an XLR plug to the cable? Would like to do that today without wasting to much time figuring out which wire goes to which pin..
Old 15th December 2019
Here for the gear

I just stripped a bit of cable and the D12 seems to have 3 wires + shield.. Red, white and yellow wire + shield around it.
Anyone knows how i should connect these all to an XLR?
Old 15th December 2019
Here for the gear

Ok this is what i did:
Shield = pin 1
Red = pin 2
White = pin 3

Sounds great! Full sound, big bottom but nice highs as well.

I think the yellow cable gives you the option to change to 50 ohms instead of 200.. correct me if i'm wrong.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search