The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studios you worked in, or recorded at . . .
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The church studio Tulsa (Leon Russell’s old studio)
I had the privilege of engineering there for a project of a friend.
Bucket list moment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Here's a story for Jim. The Cars were recording at Synchro Sound and getting a really weird clicking sound on the recording.
Funny, I saw/talked to Eliot Easton at NAMM yesterday. One of the few I knew there in a world of all-new people. I sort of felt like Rip Van Winkle after waking up.

Others there were either not there or wandering. Could not find Mike Tobias and Seymour Duncan looked a bit tired. I didn't see much pro audio besides a roomful of software. Few notable endorsee's and fewer performances.

This was not your father's NAMM show.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

The Father's have bad backs and didn't want to lug anything. Software is lightweight.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ruskin View Post
As a backup musician:

ABC Studio - LA

The Village - LA

Location Recording Service - Burbank

United Western - LA

Gold Star - LA

The Record Plant - LA

A&M - LA

Fantasy – San Francisco

Capitol Studios - Hollywood

Heider - LA

RCA - LA

Glen Glenn Sound - LA

Drew Recording - LA

Wizz – Bang - LA

Sunset Sound - LA

Sound Factory - LA

Pac 3 - Detroit
Historic ..lots of good ones there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
The Father's have bad backs and didn't want lug anything. Software is lightweight.
The biz has changed. I saw a lot of "busking" backpacks and mini-racks for street musicians.

In my NAMM lifetime I've seen the biz go from Lear Jets to begging on the streets. Not a good direction.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
The biz has changed. I saw a lot of "busking" backpacks and mini-racks for street musicians.

In my NAMM lifetime I've seen the biz go from Lear Jets to begging on the streets. Not a good direction.
How about getting paid four times more when in my high school rock band than I do now at 67 yrs old??
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SussFour View Post
Agreed, it’s good.

My own take on those times is also published:
https://www.amazon.com/As-Heard-Indu...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Just finished. Great read!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

My first album as a young lad, recorded at Studio 4 in Philly w/ Phil and Joe Nicolo, aka The Butcher Brothers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Funny, I saw/talked to Eliot Easton at NAMM yesterday. One of the few I knew there in a world of all-new people. I sort of felt like Rip Van Winkle after waking up.

Others there were either not there or wandering. Could not find Mike Tobias and Seymour Duncan looked a bit tired. I didn't see much pro audio besides a roomful of software. Few notable endorsee's and fewer performances.

Funny, I saw Elliot playing in Creedence Clearwater Revisited live at the Greek Theatre in LA. That was mid-'90s. The last time I was at NAMM was '90, and it was still your father's NAMM back then. Then grunge came along.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
How about getting paid four times more when in my high school rock band than I do now at 67 yrs old??
yup.

when i was 14, in 1985...i was playing 4 nights a week in clubs and bars.

i made easily a grand or more a week....as a kid. 35 years ago.

about 9 years ago i basically left the business completely due to health issues.

the last major label project i worked on...was a one day mix.

it took me 9 months to get the $250 day rate i was charging them.

that same week i had some old friends ask me to sub on a gig for them.

they were playing a 5 hour cover set. i asked the pay, and they said $5oo. i said..ok, that sounds good.

then found out the 5oo was for the whole band.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
i've worked in so many studios as a musician and a producer/engineer.

it would take awhile to remember them all, but i can remember my favorites rooms. each
had great gear, great people running the studios, and great sounding tracking rooms.

1. smart studios in madison, wi
2. blackbird studios in nashville
3. omnisound in nashville
4. the groove room in nashville
5. sawhorse studios in st.louis
6. sound city in van nuys
7. bearsville in ny
8. ardent studios in memphis
9. sear sound in nyc
10. my old studio, posthistoric in milwaukee
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer View Post
i've worked in so many studios as a musician and a producer/engineer.

it would take awhile to remember them all, but i can remember my favorites rooms. each
had great gear, great people running the studios, and great sounding tracking rooms.

1. smart studios in madison, wi
2. blackbird studios in nashville
3. omnisound in nashville
4. the groove room in nashville
5. sawhorse studios in st.louis
6. sound city in van nuys
7. bearsville in ny
8. ardent studios in memphis
9. sear sound in nyc
10. my old studio, posthistoric in milwaukee
Bearsville. Very cool! And, a cool history. One of my favorite bands was on Bearsville Records. Foghat!! Saw them twice in the '70s. I used to spin Rock And Roll Outlaws every day. Great album. Not everyone knows New England, yet the bass player told me that they recorded their "Walking Wild" album at Bearsville -- with Todd Rundgren at the board. Sound City also very cool. I recorded there. About 6 or 8 tracks. I forget. Anyway, cool.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwurfl View Post
In the summer of '74 I worked at ABC Recording Studios at 8255 Beverly Bl. in L.A. I was just out of high school but already knew a lot about electronics and troubleshooting, and I could solder well! My sister was working in the ABC Dunhill Promotions Dept., and found out that Phil Kaye needed extra help to help with the new Sudio B construction, built around one of Frank DeMedio's custom API consoles. So I was hired!

That was one of the most important and influential jobs of my life, and I'll always be grateful to Phil Kaye for hiring me, to Jerry Ferree for his great mentorship, to Bob Felthausen for showing me how to align 3M M79 tape machines, and to Roger Nichols for teaching me about radio-controlled model gliders!
I know that building !! but don't recall seein' a studio. Up stairs was offices, was the studio on first floor?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Stax, Motown, Chess and the old studio I interned at Wall to walk in Chicago. For me vibe is king, and all have/had just such a killer feel. Yeah they all had cool toys. But man we’re they function over form fee that I loved.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I know that building !! but don't recall seein' a studio. Up stairs was offices, was the studio on first floor?
Been a loooong time, but my memory is that it was on the 2nd floor. There were some offices on the same floor as the studios (including our Engineering shop), but many more downstairs.

We had to open a big hole in the street-side of the building, and the new console was lifted up and put into the studio through the hole. Then we moved it through the studio and into the control room through the big double-glass window before they installed the glass.
Old 3 weeks ago
(London)
Battery
Sphere - great studio, terrible vibe.
Abbey Road
Strongroom
2kHz (cool rock n roll studio owned by Ian Grimble)
The Dairy
Miloco (Spent 6yrs working round their studios including SOFA sound, the old Orinoco, Assault and Battery and others!)
The Motor Museum (Liverpool)
ICP (Belgium)
Mayfair
Fish Factory

(Sydney)
Sony
The Brain
REC
Electric Ave
Linear

I've probably missed a load....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
(London)
Battery
Sphere - great studio, terrible vibe.
Abbey Road
Strongroom
2kHz (cool rock n roll studio owned by Ian Grimble)
The Dairy
Miloco (Spent 6yrs working round their studios including SOFA sound, the old Orinoco, Assault and Battery and others!)
The Motor Museum (Liverpool)
ICP (Belgium)
Mayfair
Fish Factory

(Sydney)
Sony
The Brain
REC
Electric Ave
Linear

I've probably missed a load....
Great list. And fun learning of ones I never knew about.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I was a guitar tech in the '80's and worked at most of the big L.A. places.

Conway
One-On-One
Ocean Way
Western
The Village
Rumbo
Music Grinder
A&M

...and a million I'm forgetting...like there was a session with Rick Rubin on the Less than Zero soundtrack...CANNOT remember what studio it was.

Teching was actually a great gig, hanging around while big dogs did their thing. Real fly-on-the-wall stuff, since you're in the control room when the band is in the tracking room.

Got called in to fix one of Flea's basses @ Western and watched the Chilis record bed tracks for Mother's Milk for about an hour. Loved those kind of call-ins.

Never worked Sunset sound, though it is around the corner from my apartment. Love to get in there.

....now I am a musician, and can't afford any of those rooms!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Dude View Post
I was a guitar tech in the '80's and worked at most of the big L.A. places.

Conway
One-On-One
Ocean Way
Western
The Village
Rumbo
Music Grinder
A&M

...and a million I'm forgetting...like there was a session with Rick Rubin on the Less than Zero soundtrack...CANNOT remember what studio it was.

Teching was actually a great gig, hanging around while big dogs did their thing. Real fly-on-the-wall stuff, since you're in the control room when the band is in the tracking room.

Got called in to fix one of Flea's basses @ Western and watched the Chilis record bed tracks for Mother's Milk for about an hour. Loved those kind of call-ins.

Never worked Sunset sound, though it is around the corner from my apartment. Love to get in there.

....now I am a musician, and can't afford any of those rooms!
Yep, Sunset is one I'd like to have recorded at.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search