The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone Not Like The EV RE-20?
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Anyone Not Like The EV RE-20?

Just wondering.

Every time I try it out (I've tried it on pretty much everything) I end up using something else.

Perhaps someone can shed some light on what I'm missing.
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Guru

Maybe you're not getting it up close enough.
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Addict

I'd like to add a pair to my small collection. It's the deserted island mic for me.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

I sold mine. I just couldn't get it to work better than anything else for any task. I hoped it would work for kick, but it just never gave me the low end thump that I could get from something else. It was OK for some voiceover work.
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Maniac

I agree... I’ve mostly been underwhelmed. Still, there’s been occasion I’ve been completely satisfied with it, such as on the resonant head of a kick without a hole for jazz or on a vintage B15.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Great on many R&B style singers, including but not limited too... Stevie Wonder!
Chris
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for Jesus

I LOVE my RE20. It is my first choice for Floor Tom. Kick in or out. Voice Overs. Bass Amp.

Also works good on Horns and some Singers.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

It's the one that sounds best on my voice
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

I have owned three RE20s for more than 40 years and this is what I know. Other than radio work, they are not the very best choice for most applications: however they are "a lot more than acceptable" for about anything requiring a mic.
Hugh
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1000 View Post
Just wondering.

Every time I try it out (I've tried it on pretty much everything) I end up using something else.

What sources were you using it on, and what was lacking in your opinion?
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

I don't like the RE20...I love it. Just picked up a second one. On of the best mics on my voice and great on a lot of other stuff, too.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just wondering.

I have one - works on some vocals, usually works on a Kick drum, I've tried it occasionally on Horns - didn't like it there. IMO if it doesn't sound good - then something is wrong in the chain.
Old 6th December 2019
It works well on a lot of sources. Placement - as always - is key. Good mic to have in the studio.
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
What sources were you using it on, and what was lacking in your opinion?
Kick drum, for example...in comparing it to a D112, the D112 sounds better to me.

Vocals, U87 sounds better.

Floor tom, 4047 sounds better.

etc etc etc.

Not saying the RE-20 is bad, it just seems others are better. I also notice a bit more noise with the Re-20.

I suppose I'm asking this because the RE-20 is so revered, which is why I got one...as pointed out, Stevie Wonder sounds great on it. But he would sound great on a cup and string, wouldn't he? I was thinking there'd be some sort of cool vibe or je ne sais quoi, but thus far, I'm not hearing it.

Just not really getting the "vibe", but maybe I'm missing what the magic is. No big thing though.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Only a Pre-WWII vintage cup & string!

Hopefully Jim Williams may join in.
Knows tons about the RE20 plus the "right kind" of Pre-Including his own!
He used to record Stevie.
Chris
P.S. Also Bonnie Raitt & Paul McCartney (Hands Across The Water)
Old 6th December 2019
I dislike it on voices very much, not liking it on horns and reeds, kind of like it on kick and bass, love the look
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

For many years, I had their ancestor, the very similar 666. I had trouble dialing in a sound competitive with my other vocal microphones.

So I know what you mean...
Although in my case, I was even more a "non-Pro",
years ago.
Chris
P.S. Same for 57/58 on me too.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kick drum, for example...in comparing it to a D112, the D112 sounds better to me.

(...)
Seems to me that you miss the additional low-end beef that proximity effect provides.
The quasi total lack of P.E. is one of the hallmarks of the RE20, it‘s comparatively flat, and less position-sensitive than other cardioids.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

Have to agree very underwhelmed by mine. It did surprise me once and sounded exceptional on a tenor sax. I specifically chose the re20 because I knew I could put it extremely close with no penalty and control bleed from the other players in the same room. Other than that, yeah I have other mics that always seem to beat it.

Oh, forgot to mention...it does have a “sound” on bass cabs that’s kind of familiar. D112 sounds better for that though! Lol.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

etc etc etc.

Not saying the RE-20 is bad, it just seems others are better. I also notice a bit more noise with the Re-20.

I suppose I'm asking this because the RE-20 is so revered, which is why I got one...as pointed out, Stevie Wonder sounds great on it. But he would sound great on a cup and string, wouldn't he? I was thinking there'd be some sort of cool vibe or je ne sais quoi, but thus far, I'm not hearing it.

Just not really getting the "vibe", but maybe I'm missing what the magic is. No big thing though.
Are you always recording the same kick, vocal, floor tom, etc, etc?

For me an 87 will be great on one singer and terrible on another. A 4047 might be great on floor tom for one type of drummer but the next drummer may be wailing in the ride cymbal and I need something with a tighter pattern and no boost in the high end so it hears more of the drum and less of the cymbal.

The vibe of the RE-20 is that there's no vibe. Sometime what the mic doesn't hear is more important than what it does. Sometimes (like in live off the floor situations) the mic that sounds "best" on the source is the wrong choice because of the other things it picks up.

You could have the greatest sledge hammer in the world but it's useless if you need to drive screws.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

The RE 20 is just another very good mic. It's not some magic bullet. If it works, it works. If not, then not... just like every other classic mic.

I recall that someone said it sounds "Dry and quiet, like a cold winter night with fresh snow on the ground." That kind of hits the mark for me as a description. No other mic does that as well on a brand range of sources. It has a "sound," for sure.

There are better kick mics for punchy modern sound right out of the box, but RE20 is reliable and accurate on kick, and it seems to always sit very well in a mix, if not punching me in the chest like some other mics. I really like it in front of a bass amp, in combo with a DI. It's an amazing vocal mic for some people, and a very broadband VO mic. It's the sound of classic vintage radio voice, the alternative to the SM7, but most big stations have gone to condensers. I think PBS is all U87 now.

Everybody should have one in the collection, IMHO.
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I also notice a bit more noise with the Re-20.
What's generating that noise?
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

The singer?
Chris
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post

I recall that someone said it sounds "Dry and quiet, like a cold winter night with fresh snow on the ground." That kind of hits the mark for me as a description..
I suppose it had to happen sooner or later--mic poetry:

Ode To Electro-Voice
-----------------------

O RE20, how do I love thee?

Dry and quiet, like a cold winter night with fresh snow on the ground.
Old 7th December 2019
RE20 had been my KICK IN mic for YEARS, until I did a shootout in that position with my other kick mics (Beyer M88, M99, Miktek PM11). In a handful of blind tests, myself and all 5 of the other engineers in attendance voted the RE20 dead last in that group, and it wasn’t just the lack of proximity effect (we tried compensating for that with EQ after the initial run, just to make it “fair” and it still sounded awful!). I mean, people actually winced and made sounds of disgust when the RE20 was played back! Definitely nothing wrong with the mic either; I’ve since checked it with a new one, and it sounded virtually the same.

Anyway, it’s been sitting in its case ever since.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds like lots of people have unwanted RE20s cluttering up their mic lockers...I'll be happy to take those dogs off your hands. No, it's ok, no need to thank me.
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp View Post
Sounds like lots of people have unwanted RE20s cluttering up their mic lockers...I'll be happy to take those dogs off your hands. No, it's ok, no need to thank me.
Funny thing -- right when this thread started I had one on Reverb, and my first thought was "thanks, a-holes, perfect timing." Kinda got an insight into what people must feel about me when I bag on that Neumann right when they're trying to unload one.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
It is my first choice for Floor Tom. Kick in or out. Voice Overs. Bass Amp.

Also works good on Horns and some Singers.

^^^This

[edit: Okay, not my first choice for kick, but it's always on the short list.]
Old 7th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Only a Pre-WWII vintage cup & string!

Hopefully Jim Williams may join in.
Knows tons about the RE20 plus the "right kind" of Pre-Including his own!
He used to record Stevie.
Chris
I didn't record Stevie but I did a lot of tech work for him. Back in the 1980's a 414 was commonly used.

Preamps do make a large difference. I prefer the RE-20 into a fast high impedance mic preamp or my tube preamp.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglow View Post
RE20 had been my KICK IN mic for YEARS, until I did a shootout in that position with my other kick mics (Beyer M88, M99, Miktek PM11). In a handful of blind tests, myself and all 5 of the other engineers in attendance voted the RE20 dead last in that group, and it wasn’t just the lack of proximity effect (we tried compensating for that with EQ after the initial run, just to make it “fair” and it still sounded awful!). I mean, people actually winced and made sounds of disgust when the RE20 was played back! Definitely nothing wrong with the mic either; I’ve since checked it with a new one, and it sounded virtually the same.

Anyway, it’s been sitting in its case ever since.

That’s exactly how I came to my conclusions as well. Then I started testing it in comparison on other instruments. I thought mine was broken as well and started sending samples to some other engineer buddies of mine who said “no, sounds just like mine!”. I Wouldn’t hesitate to put it up on a trumpet or a trombone in a “live off the floor” situation though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search