The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone Not Like The EV RE-20?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Andrew, how do like the Beyer M 201TG on vocals? I'm planning to record some very LOUD "practice vocals". My voice is expanding into (the Lyrical side of) Heldentenor! Any "work" recordings are primarily for study and review, to further improve.

Their volume precludes using my condensers. Even where they're kind enough at work... To occasionally let me record after hours there.
(I started a thread in High End, regarding planning to later record in a more professional Studio)

My most narrow pattern of dynamics, presently are the AKG D790 (similar somewhat to M88, but "airier"), and an EV 767a.
I miss my M88TG, but am seriously thinking the flatter response Beyer M 201TG, will pick up even less "room" at work.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Andrew, how do like the Beyer M 201TG on vocals? I'm planning to record some very LOUD "practice vocals". My voice is expanding into (the Lyrical side of) Heldentenor! Any "work" recordings are primarily for study and review, to further improve.

Their volume precludes using my condensers. Even where they're kind enough at work... To occasionally let me record after hours there.
(I started a thread in High End, regarding planning to later record in a more professional Studio)

My most narrow pattern of dynamics, presently are the AKG D790 (similar somewhat to M88, but "airier"), and an EV 767a.
I miss my M88TG, but am seriously thinking the flatter response Beyer M 201TG, will pick up even less "room" at work.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Chris
Admittedly at this point in time I don’t recall what they sounded like, but I do know that I have never been moved by vocals with the M201 to choose it over other mics I have. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it just didn’t inspire me particularly. But who knows... It may sound wonderful with your voice. Is the narrow pattern so necessary?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks Andrew. It's to minimize poor room tone,
at a high vocal volume. As my vocal master predicted many years ago, it's showing some Heldentenor characteristics more obviously now...

Keeping in mind my "tech level" is only like a Top 40 singer, who can stay in tune!

But I'm experimenting with "taming that voice",
and being more effective with Pop/Soul Power Ballads and the like. Only a few friends, have heard me sing like this. Despite singing over 2,000 songs locally onstage, within the last 7 years...
Between being a guest singer with Pro Bands/ Pro Jams/Open Mics.
Thanks, Chris

P.S. This microphone was intended for practice recordings.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I thought it was just me and that mine was possibly one of the "bad ones". Just doesn't sound that great compared to my other mics. Used it a few times on drums, but other mics seem to do a better job.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

The RE20 was not designed to sound "great".

It was designed to sound "honest" (and then only in certain situations).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
The RE20 was not designed to sound "great".

It was designed to sound "honest".
There, I fixed it.

A mic that's designed to sound "honest" (I prefer accurate) does not sound honest on one source and then bad on another.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
There, I fixed it.

A mic that's designed to sound "honest" (I prefer accurate) does not sound honest on one source and then bad on another.
No, you did not fix anything.

There is a distinct difference between a design and the result of that design in practical use.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, you did not fix anything.

There is a distinct difference between a design and the result of that design in practical use.
Please explain....
Old 1 week ago
In Summation ...

As with all things audio, one's attitude toward the EV RE20 all comes down to personal preference & taste.

Unlike our counterparts in video, we are not bound by "objective" parameters as outlined by such things as "white balance, color bars, and vector scopes." And therein lies either the huge blessing -- or curse.

Going full circle ... how you look at that particular fact is ... a matter of preference & taste.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Please explain....
If I could actually explain it, it wouldn't really be an actual opinion, now would it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I could actually explain it, it wouldn't really be an actual opinion, now would it?
Didn't know it was just an opinion...and I'm just learning that opinions can't be explained. Okay, no problem.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Didn't know it was just an opinion...and I'm just learning that opinions can't be explained. Okay, no problem.
No worries...
I feel I can say without fear of contradiction that I am the world's undisputed expert authority on my opinion!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by previous guy
Quote:
Please explain....
If I may... the RE20 is a special case in this regard. Because many times, due to its design the RE20 sounds best jammed right up close to the source. But because the thing's so darn big, doing that seems counterintuitive -- it looks like it should have "reach" and at least some proximity effect, but it actually has neither.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Andrew, how do like the Beyer M 201TG on vocals?
I'm not Andrew, but I have tried a 201 in a live situation and the vocals sounded excellent. I put a foam filter on the end to absorb the worst of the plosives etc.

Quite a lot of proximity effect, as you'd expect from a close-talking hypercardioid, but with that rolled off a bit, the sound was everything a 201 is known & loved for.

Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
[...] the RE20 sounds best jammed right up close to the source. [...]
That's because the diaphragm of the RE20 is actually a couple of inches back from the "front grill".

The RE20 shares this same trait with the Shure SM7, and is part of the reason for the success of both designs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No worries...
I feel I can say without fear of contradiction that I am the world's undisputed expert authority on my opinion!
Now THERE'S another great sig line!
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

FWIW the SM7 wins over the RE20, on my voice. Despite my intellectual resistance, due to the SM7/Hipster connotation!

Having said that...

Did you know that (like Chuck Norris)... If you throw a SM7 into a pool. It doesn't get wet?
The pool gets SM7'd!
(don't try this at home)
Chris

P.S. Maybe I should adopt the Rapper Name "Variable-D" though, if I end up using the RE20. Hmm...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
I'm not Andrew, but I have tried a 201 in a live situation and the vocals sounded excellent. I put a foam filter on the end to absorb the worst of the plosives etc.

Quite a lot of proximity effect, as you'd expect from a close-talking hypercardioid, but with that rolled off a bit, the sound was everything a 201 is known & loved for.

Chris
One of the best-sounding live shows I ever did was done in much the same fashion as one would use Shure SM57s and '58s...

...Except in place of '57s I used Beyer m201s, and instead of '58s it was Beyer m88s.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Beyer necessities of live!
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search