The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to buy? Mic, Pre, Interface I'm lost
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

What is the best upgrade with greatest with ROI?

Hey fellow musicians
First time posting here.
I'm a full time producer and mixing engineer.
And I'm looking to upgrade some of my gear.
I have a good acoustically treated studio.
I know my gear is not the best, but it's decent and it still does the trick for me.
I work a lot remotely, and get most of my sound from plugins, but my customers are really happy about the quality. I'm not in the studio that much, only for recordings, and final checking my mixes.
Here's a list of my current gear. What do you guys think the best upgrade would be for me:

Mic: Rode nt2-a
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

So in short, work mostly remote. Have a good studio, where I record only vocals and check mixes

What I was thinking about buying (budget about 1500 max):
Preamp or channelstrip or compressor: Avalon, SSL six, Warm WA-2a,
Interface: UA Apollo twin X
Microphone: ?

Any ideas on what will be the most of use for me, to really make next step on my audio quality. Maybe something completely else

Here's a reference of one of my current mixes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxXmViCSpgs
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

you are doing such fine work with such low cost equipment, it's tough to make recommendations!

i would say don't buy a dedicated outboard compressor. you can get nice compression in the box. save your money for something that will get you more mileage. the ssl six is super cool. you get preamps, channel eq, faders, compression, monitoring, and other stuff. but you might not need that as your next piece.

maybe hold onto your money for a while, and then buy something next level for yourself. $3k gets you a manley reference cardioid.

an ssl six with a reference cardioid is compact and competitive. you could own it with that setup. you have so much talent that i would say whatever you buy from this point forward, make it something you want for a long time... build your permanent collection. you are too good to keep outgrowing your seashell and having to rebuy and rebuy. so for you, buy slower and bigger.

if you really want something now, maybe get the six now and get your showcase mic later. otherwise save up for the showcase mic and then get the six after that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i'd invest money in getting some free time - well, almost free: use it to listen to music outside of your genre and learn about techniques being used in other genre...

what makes me say this? imo in the link you posted, none of the rooms/reverbs/efx match in the slightest way; to my ears, tracks feel disconnected: this is not a 'mix'...

gear alone won't help - it's the knowledge of when and how to use what technique so learn to practice critical listening.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeproductions View Post
Hey fellow musicians
First time posting here.
I'm a full time producer and mixing engineer.
And I'm looking to upgrade some of my gear.
I have a good acoustically treated studio.
I know my gear is not the best, but it's decent and it still does the trick for me.
I work a lot remotely, and get most of my sound from plugins, but my customers are really happy about the quality. I'm not in the studio that much, only for recordings, and final checking my mixes.
Here's a list of my current gear. What do you guys think the best upgrade would be for me:

Mic: Rode nt2-a
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

So in short, work mostly remote. Have a good studio, where I record only vocals and check mixes

What I was thinking about buying (budget about 1500 max):
Preamp or channelstrip or compressor: Avalon, SSL six, Warm WA-2a,
Interface: UA Apollo twin X
Microphone: ?

Any ideas on what will be the most of use for me, to really make next step on my audio quality. Maybe something completely else

Here's a reference of one of my current mixes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxXmViCSpgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i'd invest money in getting some free time - well, almost free: use it to listen to music outside of your genre and learn about techniques being used in other genre...

what makes me say this? imo in link you posted, none of the rooms/reverbs/efx match in the slightest way; to my ears, tracks feel disconnected: this is not a 'mix'...

gear alone won't help - it's the knowledge of when and how to use what technique so learn to practice critical listening.
I'd agree that there's not much in the record chain here that needs attention. If you recorded these vocals, they sound very much on point - certainly for the genre.

I wouldn't go as far as deedeeeyah here saying things don't match - it sounds pretty much par for the genre - but there's some bits of the mix (vocal verbs and FX particularly) that might benefit from more careful work/learning from others. Maybe dive into a mix with the masters or puremix subscription or something?

Other than that, you COULD invest just about anywhere...but you don't really need to for what you're doing.

If you absolutely had to invest, I'd save a bit more, start with the mic, then pre, then go from there.

You can't buy a compressor with your current setup without buying a preamp first.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Maybe add to your Mic closet. Better preamp?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I appreciate your feedback guys!
I'm all about improving the craft.
Thanks for that tip on pure mix psycho_monkey!
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Hi Jumeproductions,
Let me know if I can answer any questions you might have.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search