The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MXR M81 bass preamp and DI pedal - studio use?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

MXR M81 bass preamp and DI pedal - studio use?

I'm due to be recording with a band in the coming week whose bass player uses a MXR M81 bass preamp pedal as part of his live set up that also features an XLR DI out. He's keen to use this pedal in the upcoming recording sessions but I'm not too sure if this will really add anything of value in the studio environment when I have a selection of studio preamps available, bass amps (along with the clients own) which will provide us with tonal options for the mic'd up cab, and a Radial J48 for tracking the DI signal. I'm Just curious to know if anyone here has any experience of the MXR M81 and feels that I may be missing a trick if I don't put it to use. Will it be bringing anything of value to the table?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

No one here had any experience of this pedal/DI?
Attached Thumbnails
MXR M81 bass preamp and DI pedal - studio use?-jim-dunlop-m81-mxr-bass-preamp-guitarcollection-1906-13-f204353_1.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
e's keen to use this pedal in the upcoming recording sessions but I'm not too sure if this will really add anything of value in the studio environment when I have a selection of studio preamps available, bass amps (along with the clients own) which will provide us with tonal options for the mic'd up cab, and a Radial J48 for tracking the DI signal.
Its perfectly fine to use that pedal.
If that is how the bassist gets his sound and that is the sound he likes, just capture that sound the best as possible. Each person in the band knows their sound. So when i record a band I let them use their equipment pedal boards amps, cabs. what ever they need to get their sound.

Of course i may add a suggestion to use this or that, but as an audio engineer, we are there to capture their sound as true as possible.
That is my thinking and i record bands and i play bass in a band as well. So i know both sides. I would be offended as a bassist if an engineer told me how my bass sound should be.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm totally fine with the client using their own equipment and I'm never one to interfere with a musicians tailored sound so intend on taking the unbalanced jack output from the pedal through to their amp which will be mic'd up and let them dial in their tones via both the pedal and amp and in addition to this, capture a DI signal pre-pedal with my Radial J48.

I was just curious to know if anyone here has actually used this pedal and if they found its DI output better or worse than others, its tone controls/EQ well suited to any particularly type of bass guitar pickup, or found any other applications for this pedal in the studio environment as I should imaging that it could be incorporated and used in various ways. Just wondered if folk here have found it a useful tool?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search