The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 560 vs BAE G10
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

API 560 vs BAE G10

Has anyone done a direct shootout, own both, or (pleeeaaaase) have audio samples? I'm specifically interested in a pair of graphics to put on the mix bus and I've read the BAEs might be "smoother" especially with dramatic boosts (not that I plan to boost very dramatically on a mix bus but I mean....I like the word "smooth"). I appreciate that the BAEs have hi/lo filters, but again I don't imagine using that feature much on the mix bus. I've seen a bit of discussion on these but never a direct comparison. If you've compared the two, I would love to hear your impressions (or better yet, your audio samples). Cheers, friends!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I own a G10 and have extensively used 560’s. The G10 is indeed smoother. However the tradeoff is that it has less “mojo” in the lower frequencies than the 560. I haven’t found myself using the filters at all thus far.

I personally can’t imagine using a graphic eq on the mix bus, but the G10 would be a better choice than the 560. For kick and guitar cabs I’d probably rather have a 560.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Thanks, that’s very helpful. I should be more specific - not mix buss exactly, I’m working with 8 track tape so I frequently wind up doing reduction mixes where a bit of compensatory eq is really helpful, I have several parametrics so I’m interested in trying graphics for this application and then of course can use them for tracking/mixing as well. Thank you for the response...damn, low frequency mojo though...still torn haha
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up partridge View Post
Has anyone done a direct shootout, own both, or (pleeeaaaase) have audio samples? I'm specifically interested in a pair of graphics to put on the mix bus and I've read the BAEs might be "smoother" especially with dramatic boosts (not that I plan to boost very dramatically on a mix bus but I mean....I like the word "smooth"). I appreciate that the BAEs have hi/lo filters, but again I don't imagine using that feature much on the mix bus. I've seen a bit of discussion on these but never a direct comparison. If you've compared the two, I would love to hear your impressions (or better yet, your audio samples). Cheers, friends!
Actually stereo matching 560's is not easy to do. I can't imagine either of these being very good for true stereo work. There are many better options.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Check out the CAPI LC25/40. Similar deal, solves the matching/recall issue. I have a 25 and it rules.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I have the G10 and the Purple TAV. I find the TAV to be much more interesting/colored and the G10 functional. Use G10 on tracks going in but TAV on sub-groups in mix. if i had to pick one id definitely get the TAV
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
Actually stereo matching 560's is not easy to do.
It’s funny I can’t believe that didn’t occur to me, very good point. I really love something about working with a graphic and I still want these in my rack but I do need something I can use on stereo tracks...makes this kind of a dealbreaker. Starting to look at 5500s instead perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by disantlor View Post
if i had to pick one id definitely get the TAV
Yeah I’ve heard great things about the TAV
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I have G10, TAV & both LC’s.
Honestly the LC’s are a bit meh. G10 is clean and punchy & rock n roll. TAV is silky smooth and sounds warm cos of the inductor curves. I love it & really have to get another.
I had a 560 10 years ago. I loved 1k on electric guitar.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search