The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
phase issue
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

phase issue

if i'm in a treated room, singing with an acoustic guitar and there are 4 decent mics in front of me (tube, condenser, ribbon, dynamic) at the same distance, would you expect phase issues that need to be dealt with? if so, by mic placement or waveform movements?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

You're combining all four to mono?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

yea, is that a consideration? thanks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4johnny View Post
yea, is that a consideration? thanks
Okay. Then I'd be on the lookout for anything old and European that has (or once had) a DIN connector, those are often wired Pin 3 Hot. And I've seen a couple modern Asian-made tube-mic power supplies that were also Pin 3 Hot. The polarity swap was inside the supply, not in a mic or a cable.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

https://www.galaxyaudio.com/products/cpts

Well worth the price. I test every mic/ line during set up. Good to know where you’re starting from. Occasionally turns up some surprises. Like guitar amps that are out of polarity. Or miss matched polarity on multi speaker cabs. I’ve also discovered studio monitors that were wired backwards.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

it should be easy enough to get a few xlr barrel connectors. open them and rewire them.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

It's more complicated than you might think. Other things that come into play that have to be considered:

1. As Brent has already mentioned, electrical polarity. I once bought 2 Coles 4038's from different sources. One is actually an old STC 4038. The mic was wired internally reverse polarity. No big deal, but I had to open it up and resolder but don't take it for granted that all gear is made the same.

2. The capsules themselves have to be carefully aligned not just the front of the mic. Some mics have the capsules set back deep ie:EV RE20.

3. Polar pattern. You have to watch the back side of the ribbon mic as it's most likely a figure of eight. and you can get a lot of comb filtering off the back wall (especially in a small room) and this might feel like phase issues when used beside other mics in cardioid.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Polarity is one thing that is very easy to qualify with a Cricket. Unless there are old mics or have been screwed with they will be pin 2 hot. Multiple mics on a single source is more difficult. Why do you need so many mics for the track. Sometimes I get 5 mics on an acoustic from clients and I'm stumped why they have to go there. You spend more time dealing with making all the mics work together instead of dealing with the source. If you do get it right and the player moves it all changes. Phase can suck. More mics more grief.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

easy to diagnose: use just 2 mics and route each to a goniometer via pfl bus (or us a fft); then either move one mic or use a delay or an allpass filter to align - repeat with additional mics until they all align...

...but yes, any more than a single mic will cause (some) phase issues - which to some degree can be quite pleasant though or else people would not use spaced mics :-)

however: can't see the point of using more than one mic (or maybe two) on a single instrument unless it's very big (piano, organ, drumkit etc.)?!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Why do you need so many mics for the track.
Second the question!

Sorry for that, I’ve been watching the parliamentary procedure channels today.

I understand putting up four mics on a single vocalist to select the best via AB listening, or to use an alternate mic for a different section of the song. I haven’t encountered combining multiple mics on a single vocalist. Two mics on a guitar amp or an acoustic guitar I’ve seen and tried.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I am actually trying to use 3 out of the 4 mics in the mix. I am trying to use 2 mics for acoustic guitar and 1 for vocals and of course there is a lot of bleed. I find that the vocal isn't always centered and seems to drift with even slight movements. I want to capture a single performance instead of tracking separately. I was not happy with the close-micing that I tried and wanted a more open room sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search