The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
darkening and brightening the vocal sound with equipment
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

darkening and brightening the vocal sound with equipment

Is there any type of equipment that would allow me to darken or brighten the sound of vocals, software or hardware?

Thanks
DD
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Almost everything you use on a vocal can do one of those things. Start with mic choice, then preamp and compressor. They will all have a tonal effect. Of course EQ is there specifically for varying the tone. I find reverb often adds brightness, even if it isn't a super bright type of reverb. Chorus, flanger and phaser often darken the vocal a tad.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Almost everything [. . .]
Building on Tony's reply of 'almost everything [. . .]', I am continually fascinated with how much difference I find in just changing mic placement - sometimes even slightly changing placement!

And sure, my mics sound different in different rooms - but sometimes they sound hugely different even in different parts of the same room. . .while keeping everything else exactly the same!

For example I've got this one spot in my office in front of a demilune cabinet that sounds absolutely amazing to me - closer to the carpet and further from simple straight wall and ceiling reflections.

Hope you are having as much fun,

Ray H.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Aside from the good advice so far, TDR Slick EQ M has a meta filter feature that really does the brightness thing very well. You can also use it to smooth or darken things effectively. The meta filter has 3 different contour themes to choose from.

A free plug you could use to brighten or darken is IVGI by Klanghelm. Really nice plugin that sounds nice on the master buss or individual tracks. It has a feature that works sort of like a tilt to emphasize the highs or the lows in highly controllable increments.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
In plug in land Kush is your friend. Electra, Clariphonic, or Omega 458a (cheap)..... In Acustica land Diamond.......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search