The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann U87 VS Manley Reference C
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Neumann U87 VS Manley Reference C

Hello Gearslutz, I’m looking to make my next big mic purchase for an overall improvement of production quality at my studio. I’m recording Hip & Rap Vocals, and i’m currently using a Bae 1073 MPF & 1176 into a LA-2A into Pro tools. Which mic do you recommend for modern vocals that will capture the best sound possible? Legendary U87 or Manley Reference? Thanks again!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignFaraz View Post
Hello Gearslutz, I’m looking to make my next big mic purchase for an overall improvement of production quality at my studio. I’m recording Hip & Rap Vocals, and i’m currently using a Bae 1073 MPF & 1176 into a LA-2A into Pro tools. Which mic do you recommend for modern vocals that will capture the best sound possible? Legendary U87 or Manley Reference? Thanks again!

anyone ? ?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Both are great mics. The U87 may have some more 'cache' with potential clients. Pretty hard to beat a legend.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
Both are great mics. The U87 may have some more 'cache' with potential clients. Pretty hard to beat a legend.

thank you !
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

tough call. i would work with a store that will allow you to buy both and return the one you don't want. the new u87s are a big bright in the midrange. but taking it down by about 1 db with a wide eq centered at around 4-5k essentially clears that up.

neumann mics and neve preamps tend to pair well. they grew up together and lots of hit records have been made with various neve-neumann combinations.

1073 1176 la2a is a great combination. that's a-list studio stuff.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
tough call. i would work with a store that will allow you to buy both and return the one you don't want. the new u87s are a big bright in the midrange. but taking it down by about 1 db with a wide eq centered at around 4-5k essentially clears that up.

neumann mics and neve preamps tend to pair well. they grew up together and lots of hit records have been made with various neve-neumann combinations.

1073 1176 la2a is a great combination. that's a-list studio stuff.

Thank you brotha! I’ll def take that into consideration!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Anyone??
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Anyone else have any thoughts on this ?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I’m going to order a mic this week anymore suggestions ?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m going to order a mic this week anymore suggestions ?
This is tough. Comes down to preference and how the mic interfaces with your key sources. I own U87's, and have used Reference on occasion. Both are great mics. As mentioned, the U87 is going to offer customer appeal and cred. It's more recognized. Both the AI and the reference offer strong highs, but not harsh. Manely might sound more "modern," but the AI has been hyped a bit in the highs compared to earlier models, I think for chasing the modern vibe.

If there is any way to live with both of these mics for a few intense days, that would reveal your answer. This is pretty much subjective opinion city here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search