The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone still using standalone digital recorders? TascamDP/Roland VS 1680/1880/2000?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Anyone still using standalone digital recorders? TascamDP/Roland VS 1680/1880/2000?

It's been almost 20 yrs now that Roland VS recorders hit the market

I've noticed there's a wealth of used recorders on Ebay/Reverb that seem perfectly functional

I picked up a VS 1680 w/fx card for very cheap, and finding it great for a solo artist like me for songwriting idea and demos..old school recording

other than having to transfer via analog for mixing in Logic, it seems like it might be preferable to recording in the DAW.

I've been looking also @ the TASCAM dp/24, and played around with one in the local music shop, but found the Roland VS a little more basic and bare bones

Is there any life left in these boxes?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I have a VS1680, and it's my main recorder.
With good mics and outboard it's possible to get great results. I've never felt held back by it - it's simplicity helps me concentrate on what really matters :
1.Quality of the material.
2. quality of the performance.
People obsess about what you record on, but IMHO that comes way down the list.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Korg d3200 here and its brilliant, and lately ive aquired a Fairlight MFX3+ which i use as a mastering machine although it is set up as an 8 track.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Played a gig last Saturday which was recorded by the local on duty AE on a Yamaha AW16G.

I still have a Boss BR-1200CD, gathering dust...

T
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I use a Mackie sdr as my backup and run the main drive external in a Lian li drive bay- did a 30 hour session this year without a hiccup. I also still use a da78 and 88 and slave off my laptop as well.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I've had just about every DAW setup imaginable, currently with the latest Logic version 10

The amount of accessible virtual instruments, fx, etc.. it seems has hampered me over the years from getting things accomplished in terms of sheer playing and composition..

I've never figured out how to simplify on a DAW

Now I'm running a hybrid solution that seems to be working just peachy

One thing I forgot about the HD recorders is that buffers/latency isn't an issue.. as is with a DAW

triggering Sam Slate 5 virtual drums with a Vdrum kit and running the outs of an Apogee Duet into the VS 1680 seems to work swimmingly.. the pre's into the Apogee for micing acoustic seem to be an improvement over the stock 1680 pres

Mixing and mastering are not an issue.. this is strictly for writing and getting ideas down, although doing a simple mix down in the VS1680 and transferring via analog out back into the DAW seems functional and adequate, for now..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
I´ve been recording exclusively on my Yamaha AW1600 for more than 10 years and not planning to change my workflow as long as it keep functioning properly.
I thoughr always mix ITB so I basically use it as a multitrack machine only. With a little help of some extra microphones and hardware.
If it aint broken...
Old 4 days ago
Maybe not quite the standalone recorder mentioned but I have a Fostex D160 but stopped really using it as I was only recording to that then bouncing to computer so figured that bouncing straight to the computer eliminated an unnecessary step and potential very minimal loss of quality.
I'm planning on recording drums now that my playing as getting better so it may find a new use.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I've kind of gone back to stand alone recorders. But a mix-pre and a Zoom H6 are enough for me. I find the concept of a mixer with sd-card recording that can be used as an interface and live-mixer too quite interesting. Like the Zoom Livetrak recorders or the Tascam 24. I just want to press record in simple set-ups. No mouse, no screen, no keyboard needed. I always prefered interfaces that could be used like a small mixer with many sources attached. I loved the SPL Crimson and now use a Motu Ultralite but in combination with a SSL SiX.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I use two Zoom F8s synced for 16 channels. Very good results, and completely reliable. I deliberately chose not to go for a laptop solution, since I want to avoid the hassle of computers for recording. My F8s take next to no time to set up, and never let me down.

/Magnus
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I returned to recording 5 years ago and bought a VS2000 & VFX3 card as I wanted a standalone system. Using a monitor with this system is almost essential so you need to get the monitor card for it if the unit doesn’t already have it. The only issue was struggling with the manual (possibly the worst manual ever).

IMO the preamps sit halfway between transparent and 1073. Sometimes i will use my Steinberg UR22 if i want transparency or some of my external pres if i want more colour. They didn’t make a lot of plugins but what they did make are great, eg UAD Legacy 1176 & LA2A, Soundtoys HS3000, T.C. Electronics TCR-3000

I run N.I. Komplete on my PC and go into the VS via optical so I don’t feel limited until i want to do decent waveform editing (which i do in Cakewalk or Audacity)
Old 3 days ago
I've used the VS880 a couple of decades ago but would stay away from any Roland VS because of the (at least) 2:1 data reduction that they're doing. To me, recorded and especially bounced tracks always sounded lifeless and flat.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

"stay away from any Roland VS because of the (at least) 2:1 data reduction"

i don't know about vs 880, but with the 1680 in MTP Mode you get 3:1 data reduction..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Lossy data reduction sucks. Thankfully none on the VS2000.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
"stay away from any Roland VS because of the (at least) 2:1 data reduction"

i don't know about vs 880, but with the 1680 in MTP Mode you get 3:1 data reduction..
Yes, and I think there's modes with even more.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

For some 2020 fun...
I plan to sometimes use my Vestax HDR6, and Tascam DP-004. For vocal "practice" recordings.
Then I can set up some Prosumer/90's style hardware chains on it. Type C Exciter anyone?
Chris
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Still exclusively -- suites our clients productions, very well

.. & now with the addition of the VIRDIS soft/hardware -- we track /store on a PC external drive.

48 channels of automation at mixdown .. with MIDI application. Clocked to a RME .. pretty much latency free .

By passing the stock pres -- with Manley and UA --
Old 3 days ago
What recording mode are you using @ cjogo ?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
What recording mode are you using @ cjogo ?
48k MTP

We digitally Rbus sync to a rack of 3 TC Electronics -- and they will not connect beyond 48K
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
48k MTP
I take it that still has data reduction?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
I take it that still has data reduction?
By default : maybe so ?? - never even thought about it .

Since we have nothing to A/B = if there is a sound difference ..

We also have a full version of PT > but never had the call to use.

Mixdown now to stereo in REAPER . ..and render

Last edited by cjogo; 1 day ago at 09:52 PM..
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/u...&Number=321218

Have a read. There's been lots of misinformation about rdac over the years, and I think in pretty basic terms this sums up the data compression going on.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's been almost 20 yrs now that Roland VS recorders hit the market

I've noticed there's a wealth of used recorders on Ebay/Reverb that seem perfectly functional

I picked up a VS 1680 w/fx card for very cheap, and finding it great for a solo artist like me for songwriting idea and demos..old school recording

Is there any life left in these boxes?
If you are going to ask and answer your own question why post here? LOL!
Old 2 days ago
S/PDIF connections will help elderly gear stay fresh. For example, I have a Yamaha 01X that didn't make it past Windows XP but is too complex to enjoy using standalone: the S/PDIF I/O allows me to connect to the home-studio system as an FX unit or for processing mixbus.

My hard-disk recorder is a Sound Devices 702 around 12 years old and used daily: currently it sits at the end of the analogue mixbus chain and converts to digital (then into an interface via S/DIF); also, still used as a remote/field recorder and standalone studio preamp.

The recorders mentioned by the OP were ground-breaking at the time (almost 20 years ago now?) but one issue was transferring audio (digital and analogue) as they were more designed towards all-in-one track creation. I owned a Boss BR824 and I liked the COSM effects but it was a PITA to transfer audio.

The bottom line is that every gear has it's sweet spot - even vintage digital.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
If you are going to ask and answer your own question why post here? LOL!
I can't believe I'm actually going to justify this with a response, but here goes..

I've been on this forum for almost 20 years..Allow me to explain how this forum works, champ:

People post for a variety of reasons..

To share ideas

To improve one's setup..find out if there's a better way

To fine tune and overhaul

To find out what path other people in the same situation are pursuing

To expand and enrich one's personal experience

So next time, think before you post
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
The bottom line is that every gear has it's sweet spot - even vintage digital.

I would say also, the bottom line is finding a work flow that doesn't get in the way of the actual reason you are recording.. to capture creativity and performance

Agreed that these old boxes are clunky when it comes to importing/exporting..

It's tolerable, but less than ideal
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't believe I'm actually going to justify this with a response, but here goes..

I've been on this forum for almost 20 years..Allow me to explain how this forum works, champ:

People post for a variety of reasons..

To share ideas

To improve one's setup..find out if there's a better way

To fine tune and overhaul

To find out what path other people in the same situation are pursuing

To expand and enrich one's personal experience

So next time, think before you post
Way to take offense at a off handed comment meant as a joke. Even had the requisite LOL to show that I wasn't being serious or meaning to offend.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Way to take offense at a off handed comment meant as a joke. Even had the requisite LOL to show that I wasn't being serious or meaning to offend.

ok.. no offense taken.. a misunderstanding on my part
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I would say also, the bottom line is finding a work flow that doesn't get in the way of the actual reason you are recording.. to capture creativity and performance

Agreed that these old boxes are clunky when it comes to importing/exporting..

It's tolerable, but less than ideal
No work flow problems -- well a lot less than say our PT/Reaper based software ..

Importing /exporting is the same it has been since the 70's > for us = patch up the cables ... Although we now import a two track ,,, via DIG I/O
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
... the bottom line is finding a work flow that doesn't get in the way of the actual reason you are recording.. to capture creativity and performance ...
Exactly this is the reason why I went for the F8. Well put.

/Magnus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search