The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best closed back over ear headphones under $400 for music production?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Best closed back over ear headphones under $400 for music production?

I'm in the market for a pair of headphones for music production that are comfortable after long periods of producing. Right now I am looking at the Shure SRH1540 but I read there is a roll off around 50Hz. I had a pair of HD600's which are obviously open back cans but I returned them ( they seemed to be on the brighter side and weren't that comfortable, also the panning seemed off for some reason?) so I want to try a good over ear closed back set.

I'll be powering my new set through my Baby Face Pro interface so hopefully ohms shouldn't be a problem.

So my question is, what pair of closed back over ear headphones do you guys recommend for production ? I'm looking for comfort, decent bass and smooth highs, as well as a good sound stage.

P.S. I have a pair of Yahama HS8 monitors, for what it's worth. Also, I know open back headphones are superior when it comes to wide, sounding sound stages.

EDIT- Forgot to mention, I mainly produce electronic music and ambient work, also occasional line in guitar as well.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

If you're really committed to go down the closed back and brand new path than I would buy the Neumann NDH 20. In my opinion it's slightly bass heavy but as far distortion/soundstage etc it's great. If (despite of the title of your post) you would also consider some open back headphones I highly suggest trying the Beyerdynamic DT1990. A bit exaggerated high end but it can be easily fixed with a bit of EQ/sonarworks + geat mids and lows + exceptionally comfortable.
Mind you, there is a chance you're going to hate the headphones I just suggested because if I'm honest I completely disagree with your observations on the HD600. ,I think the HD600/HD650 are some of the very best headphones as far as price/performance.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonepaul View Post
If you're really committed to go down the closed back and brand new path than I would buy the Neumann NDH 20. In my opinion it's slightly bass heavy but as far distortion/soundstage etc it's great. If (despite of the title of your post) you would also consider some open back headphones I highly suggest trying the Beyerdynamic DT1990. A bit exaggerated high end but it can be easily fixed with a bit of EQ/sonarworks + geat mids and lows + exceptionally comfortable.
Mind you, there is a chance you're going to hate the headphones I just suggested because if I'm honest I completely disagree with your observations on the HD600. ,I think the HD600/HD650 are some of the very best headphones as far as price/performance.

I really wanted to try the ND20s, but I read numerous reviews that say they sound great but that the circular ear cups start hurting the ears after about 30 minutes of wearing them. As far as the HD600s and HD650 go, I ran the HD600s through the 1/4 jack of my BabyFace Pro, perhaps 300ohms is not quite ideal for that interface, or perhaps my ears didn't get use to the HD600s.

With that said, I am starting to consider the 650s, but if I don't really like the 600s, then getting the 650s might be redundant. People have said that the 600s are better for critical listening than the 650s anyhow. :(
I have yet to try sonarworks, but have seen it mentioned a few times. Whichever headphones I get, I will surely check it out. :D
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hmm, agree that I certainly would not say the HD600's are "bright," they're pretty dang relaxed/unhyped overall, anything less-bright would probably be rolled-off/dark. If you found HD600's "too bright" then not sure what's in the AT or Beyerdynamic lines that you'll like! But maybe it's an impedance matching thing. The Babyface Pro is a little weak for the HD600's, and I've only used the 1/4" output. The DA sounds good, but the amp is a little weak at that impedance. It's fine for listening to finished/mastered music, but for production it's often just a bit too weak even when cranked to max. Using a Monotor now, which more than solved the problem but pricey. Tone-wise I don't really notice much difference, just louder, which is what I needed.

Also if only focusing on electronic music, one of the reasons I love the HD600's (especially at current prices) is their natural presentation of acoustic instruments. For the price, hard to beat for listening to anything jazz, classical, acoustic-based. I also like it for naturally-presented rock, like where it's a band-in-the-room vibe, basically it has a killer soundstage and a relaxed, natural presentation. For electronic music I found it interesting in a "Oh so that's what this Virtual Instrument/Synth sounds like..." way. But... if you didn't like it, and don't want to spend even more money on a headphone amp, move on! HD650's are pretty similar, maybe just different enough you might like them.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Hmm, agree that I certainly would not say the HD600's are "bright," they're pretty dang relaxed/unhyped overall, anything less-bright would probably be rolled-off/dark. If you found HD600's "too bright" then not sure what's in the AT or Beyerdynamic lines that you'll like! But maybe it's an impedance matching thing. The Babyface Pro is a little weak for the HD600's, and I've only used the 1/4" output. The DA sounds good, but the amp is a little weak at that impedance. It's fine for listening to finished/mastered music, but for production it's often just a bit too weak even when cranked to max. Using a Monotor now, which more than solved the problem but pricey. Tone-wise I don't really notice much difference, just louder, which is what I needed.

Also if only focusing on electronic music, one of the reasons I love the HD600's (especially at current prices) is their natural presentation of acoustic instruments. For the price, hard to beat for listening to anything jazz, classical, acoustic-based. I also like it for naturally-presented rock, like where it's a band-in-the-room vibe, basically it has a killer soundstage and a relaxed, natural presentation. For electronic music I found it interesting in a "Oh so that's what this Virtual Instrument/Synth sounds like..." way. But... if you didn't like it, and don't want to spend even more money on a headphone amp, move on! HD650's are pretty similar, maybe just different enough you might like them.
Who knows, maybe the HD600s sound brighter on the BFP 1/4 jack without a dedicated headphone amp? . While we're on the topic... is there a headphone amp for around 100 bucks that could give enough power to headphones like the HD600? I recall not having really any issues with the HD600s in the volume department. I was usually listening to them around half to three quarters away from max (anything higher was too loud). I read somewhere that JDS Atom is a good headphone amp for the price, but no idea really. I'm not entirely sure what difference a dedicated headphone amp would make on a set of 300ohm cans compared to the 1/4 jack of the BFP (except volume, but does sufficient volume = better bass and more balanced frequency sound? no idea, I'm a noob

Btw, thank you for your input, it's always nice to hear from others with a similar set up (in this case, interface). Who knows, maybe if a headphone amp could make a big difference, I could possibly enjoy the HD600s if I am indeed missing something from them just plugged into the 1/4 jack.

Also, to be more on topic I guess, I ran across the Shure SRH1840 Open-back headphones, yes another open back, but the low impedance got me curious. After reading some reviews they say the bass is rolled off some but the mids and highs really shine. At that price, they cost as much as the HD650s (both cost 400 at the moment)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Check the Beyerdynamic outlet store - you might find something there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use Beyerdynamic Dt770's. These are great at keeping out unwanted noise, and i find what you are hearing translates pretty well.
Old 1 week ago
ccg
Gear Maniac

I really like the Sony 7520. About $300 new right now.
Old 1 week ago
i also suggest the SONY 7520s

great bass response...nice to listen to and accurate

they are the only headphones i will try to create with
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
I use Beyerdynamic Dt770's. These are great at keeping out unwanted noise, and i find what you are hearing translates pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg View Post
I really like the Sony 7520. About $300 new right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
i also suggest the SONY 7520s

great bass response...nice to listen to and accurate

they are the only headphones i will try to create with
Yeah thinking about those. What other headphones have you tried?
Old 1 week ago
HD600s definitely aren’t bright! On any headphone amp I’ve used them on.

DT770s are decent for tracking, but I wouldn’t want to judge a mix on them or make sound design decisions.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just bought the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x. In the same family as the HD600. They're not bright at all, in fact I find them a tad bit dark for mixing myself. So I'm also surprised you find the 600s bright. In which case Beyers and many others would be exceedingly bright for you. Is it that they are to bright or that you want more low end perhaps? Or maybe the 58x is a bit darker that the 600. For the money worth a try.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaturna View Post
Yeah thinking about those. What other headphones have you tried?
i have akg k701s. i also have used focal clears (which are also stellar)... they are my sons. I havent spent enough time to really get accustomed to them.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaturna View Post
is there a headphone amp for around 100 bucks that could give enough power to headphones like the HD600?
Take a look at Schiit audio. They have several low cost high quality hp amps.
One of their Vali amps drives my AKG 240s (600 ohm) to deafening levels
and the AKGs are about as tough a load as you can get. BTW, you might
want to give them a listen. They are definitely NOT bright.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search