The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dbx 231 vs dbx 1231
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Dbx 231 vs dbx 1231

Ok so what is the difference between these two? Here is a product page that shows both products and you can compare them but when I do this I see such slight variations... and what the heck do they mean anyway?
https://dbxpro.com/en/product_families/equalizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I had some 231 EQs and they were noisy. Hissy.

So much so, in fact, that they were unusable for my clients monitor mixes - I replaced them with a less noisy alternative. I found BSS Eqs and Ashly Eqs to have far less noise, and so did the other ranges from dbx.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
I had some 231 EQs and they were noisy. Hissy.

So much so, in fact, that they were unusable for my clients monitor mixes - I replaced them with a less noisy alternative. I found BSS Eqs and Ashly Eqs to have far less noise, and so did the other ranges from dbx.
Oh cmon
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by camomiletea View Post
Oh cmon
not sure what you mean? I'm telling you my experience of the 231 model.

I've used other dbx Eqs and they were fine. Not the 231. I had 3 units, and they all had the same amount of background noise, hiss, whatever you want to call it. And that made them unusable for my clients who objected to that amount of noise (hiss) coming out of their on-stage monitors. Taking the EQs out of the signal chain removed the noise. I did not experience the same background noise with the other brands I mentioned.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
not sure what you mean? I'm telling you my experience of the 231 model.

I've used other dbx Eqs and they were fine. Not the 231. I had 3 units, and they all had the same amount of background noise, hiss, whatever you want to call it. And that made them unusable for my clients who objected to that amount of noise (hiss) coming out of their on-stage monitors. Taking the EQs out of the signal chain removed the noise. I did not experience the same background noise with the other brands I mentioned.
Then obviously you had a faulty unit
Old 1 week ago
All of these are constant Q bandpass filter designs. They are useful for notching as the bandwidth is a constant 1/3 or 2/3 octave at any gain setting. What they are not good for is a general EQ as the band centers will show a nipple at any setting other than flat. A smooth frown face EQ curve will look like a picket fence on an analyzer. Proportional Q gyrator filter or inductor graphic EQ designs are fabulous for general EQ work as the nipples do not occur and any EQ curve is smoothed out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Examples of good inductor graphics I have and use in my studio are the KT DN27a, KT DN22, and White Instruments 4100a. I also have several UREI 535’s. The UREI’s require a mod because the slide pots UREI used get gooey and snap. JJ Electronics makes a PCB and has the part numbers for nice Bourne’s. I’ve done this to 3 and use them all. There are only 2 electro’s in the audio path, WIMA and EVOX film caps, and the op amps are socketed for easy swapping.

Don’t believe everything you read about graphics not being suitable for recording, as Jim said, gyrator designs and inductor designs are very good tools and out of style right now so they can be had cheap on the used market.
Old 1 week ago
Other contenders are the older MXR blue and black face graphics, the Altecs used on the Boston records and even some from DOD. I have a used $59 DOD R-831 31 band graphic rebuilt to do + - 30 db of EQ, a "Frequalizer". 60 db of EQ adjustment will create/fix almost anything.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Other contenders are the older MXR blue and black face graphics, the Altecs used on the Boston records and even some from DOD. I have a used $59 DOD R-831 31 band graphic rebuilt to do + - 30 db of EQ, a "Frequalizer". 60 db of EQ adjustment will create/fix almost anything.
I have two of the blue MXR’s. They’re not in the rack as of now. There’s lots of work to do to them from what I can tell. I forget how many op amps there are but it was a bunch. I have them on the back burner for a later date. I have one of those DOD’s I need to send you. I think I paid $40 for mine. Too many more important things to be done. I have 2 Adcom 545’s you’ll be getting soon for the naked Vishay mod.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search