The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Allen & Heath GL2400/GL2800 Longevity and Durability Questions
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Allen & Heath GL2400/GL2800 Longevity and Durability Questions

Hello everyone. This one is targeted at long-term A&H analog desk owners, or any analog desk at this price bracket for that matter.

I'm looking into getting an A&H GL2400 or GL2800 24-ch/32-ch as the center piece for my project studio. I plan to use it for tracking, and mixing projects from my DAW. I have an opportunity to buy it new, or used for ~1/5 the price. With that being said, I have a few questions regarding the aforementioned:

1) Should I get it brand-new, or used?

2) If anyone has bought it used, what are some red flags to look out for? What should I expect owning and maintaining a used A&H mixer.

3) How good (or bad) is the long-term durability of the console? Has the build and sound quality held up from years of use? Provided that it is maintained well, can I expect the console's quality to hold up in 10 years time?

4) How easy would it to clean, and service (for minor issues) the product by myself. I live in a place where "analog mixer service centers" are non-existent.

5) Is buying an analog console in 2019 even remotely viable? I want to depart myself slightly from ITB mixing, and I am completely enamored with the thought of having a some-what analog workflow (e.g. moving pots, faders, and whatnot).

6) Is the A&H GL2400/GL2800 even the best console at its price bracket? If not, what are some other boards that I should look into?

If anyone has an answer to any of the aforementioned questions, any nugget of knowledge would be greatly appreciated, and would help me exponentially with my decision making process. Thank you very much, and cheers!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I bought a 24 channel 2800 desk in 2005: replaced it with a digital desk in 2008 and it sat in my garage in it's box for 10 years. While A & H was still offering this stellar analog desk there were no significant secondary market buyers available so I donated the like new old desk to a small local church. The tax deduction was more than I was offered for the lightly used A & H analog console. The series 5 chip used in the 2800 makes a big sonic difference: there are a lot more of the older 2400 desks available but if you can locate a lightly used 2800 in real good condition it should be available at a real bargain price.
Buying yesterday's better analog gear at the current new MSRP is foolish today.
Hugh
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hello Hugh.

I appreciate the tip on the GL2800 vs GL2400. I had no idea about the difference in chip-sets.

I'm assuming you used your GL2800 for a couple of years, left in storage for 10, and it still ended up being perfectly functional once you donated it to the local church? That's definitely a testament of its durability.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time, and providing some insight. Cheers!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, it is used several times every week for any activities occurring in their sancturary. It is a huge improvement over their old console and has made the balance of their old system satisfactory to cover the 200 seats in the Three Forks Baptist Church. They did not have the resources to up date their 25 year old gear so, needless to say, the gift of the great "new to them" console has been a blessing for them and I feel pretty good about it as well. Disposing of formerly valued gear we no longer need or have use for can be a depressing exercise however I drive by that Church every day and it makes me smile to know the few folks attending services there can hear every word and note generated.

There is a lot more to living a rich life than cash in the bank!
Hugh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search