The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Travelling to San Francisco next week, any tips for a music / pro audio geek?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Travelling to San Francisco next week, any tips for a music / pro audio geek?

I'm coming home

What should I see and hear?
Old 3 weeks ago
Watch where you step.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

See if there's anything going on at CCRMA @ Stanford - they have some great spatial audio concerts & tech events. I wish I would have done some sessions at Tiny Telephone studios while I was there:

http://www.tinytelephone.com/
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

see if you can tour hyde street
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Envelop at the Midway
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hyde Street is always fun... Depressing coming and going, but helps create a truly authentic record for the soul though!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I lived there for about a year before I couldn’t take it anymore. I do have fond memories of the place. I love the architecture. It’s beautiful to look at... as long as you look up. But then you will surely step in human feces as I did my first day there.

I lived there 6 years ago and I’ve heard the homeless problem has been even worse lately. I lived in the mission and worked near market street so I probably got to see the worst of it. Of course there are nicer parts of town but usually they’re very close to the poopy parts.

I was also disenchanted with the music scene there. Everybody liked top 40, it was playing everywhere. I was hoping to find more of a live music scene but I think all the real bands moved to Oakland. But I did see Medeski Scofield Martin and Wood at the jazz center which was awesome. That is one excellent venue, great sound, and very intimate. I’d definitely go to a show there again.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino beano View Post
I lived there for about a year before I couldn’t take it anymore. I do have fond memories of the place. I love the architecture. It’s beautiful to look at... as long as you look up. But then you will surely step in human feces as I did my first day there.

I lived there 6 years ago and I’ve heard the homeless problem has been even worse lately. I lived in the mission and worked near market street so I probably got to see the worst of it. Of course there are nicer parts of town but usually they’re very close to the poopy parts.

I was also disenchanted with the music scene there. Everybody liked top 40, it was playing everywhere. I was hoping to find more of a live music scene but I think all the real bands moved to Oakland. But I did see Medeski Scofield Martin and Wood at the jazz center which was awesome. That is one excellent venue, great sound, and very intimate. I’d definitely go to a show there again.
I lasted there for 5 years (somehow)! I agree, Oakland music scene was much more enjoyable. I loved places like Freight and Salvage.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I lasted there for 5 years (somehow)! I agree, Oakland music scene was much more enjoyable. I loved places like Freight and Salvage.
San Jose native here. Oakland's definitely still a gem, especially once you head toward Berkeley. Great spots for all kinds of music - 924 Gilman for punk, F&S for folk, Yoshi's for jazz, Metro Opera House for metal. There's still good venues in SF, but those are usually the bigger ones, like the Warfield or the Bill Graham.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino beano View Post
I lived there 6 years ago and I’ve heard the homeless problem has been even worse lately.
I was there for a week recently, and the homeless problem is indeed really horrible.

Every day, I would walk by this middle eastern woman, sitting on the sidewalk with 3 small children, including a very young toddler, out in the open with no shade. They were there ALL day EVERY day.

I would regularly see people who were so high on their fentanyl-laced chinese morphine knock-offs of who knows what that they were completely out of their head, walking around like zombies. That is such a depressing thing to see up close and a horrible worldwide concern.

And then the feces and other disgusting stuff in the streets. Uggggh. The watch where you walk advice is not to be taken lightly. I was not expecting that at all.

Of course, like all urban areas this has its hotspots. But I was surprised to see how much it was spilling into the "nice" parts of town.

SF is not ALL bad, it has its merits too, but I would never ever want to live there.

Sorry for the Debbie Downer post lol.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search