The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to prevent mold in my new headset
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

How to prevent mold in my new headset

Hello,

During the summer, my two year old DT 990 started itching me, I first thought it was my allergy, then it got pretty bad, and started being a bit smelly, so I remove the earpads and the little round thing to clean them, I found green mold inside the headset.

Now that I got myself my dream headset : The 1990 pro, I would like to know how to avoid getting the same problem.

If any one has had any similar issues, I'd be happy to hear your advice.

Btw I'm near the beach, so I have pretty high humidity in my house.

Thanks !
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw View Post
Hello,

During the summer, my two year old DT 990 started itching me, I first thought it was my allergy, then it got pretty bad, and started being a bit smelly, so I remove the earpads and the little round thing to clean them, I found green mold inside the headset.

Now that I got myself my dream headset : The 1990 pro, I would like to know how to avoid getting the same problem.

If any one has had any similar issues, I'd be happy to hear your advice.

Btw I'm near the beach, so I have pretty high humidity in my house.

Thanks !
Either a de-humidifier for the room (which would also preserve your electronics and computer), or at least some packs of silica gel and a Ziplock-type baggie to put the headphones into when you're not using them.

Another option is DampRid, which you usually put into closets to "capture" humidity. But if you spill this stuff onto your electronics (or anything you want to keep), you can consider it gone. It's basically the same as the silica gel packets (but doesn't taste nearly as good), and it comes in various sizes, to "treat" different-sized areas.

Long-term, a de-humidifier is more efficient and will protect more of your gear. I've had to repair computers that were used near the beach, and once the motherboard and/or contacts start to fail, you'll have myriad bizarre and difficult-to-trace problems. And opening a computer is relatively easy if you're looking for this stuff--opening a vintage (or expensive) synth to troubleshoot corrosion is not for the faint of heart.

Finally, some cheap (but good!) weatherstripping around the window and doors, to keep humidity from entering the room in the first place. (You might also consider asking the ocean to "keep it down a bit" while recording.)

Steve
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Keeping them stored in a large (I mean the BIG BIG ones) hefty zip-lock style sandwich bag is what I would do, personally.

Maybe in your case you could just find and modify a beach ball for this?? LOL.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for your input, I'll see if I can get a dehumidifier.

And you said to put it in a bag while not using, wouldn't it be better to put it in its original box instead ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Thanks for your input, I'll see if I can get a dehumidifier.

And you said to put it in a bag while not using, wouldn't it be better to put it in its original box instead ?
No. A Ziplock-type bag — especially the kind with two “zips” — keeps air and moisture out; the original box was never designed to do that. And the bag would be easier and faster to get the headphones into and out of when the time comes.

Steve
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
No. A Ziplock-type bag — especially the kind with two “zips” — keeps air and moisture out; the original box was never designed to do that. And the bag would be easier and faster to get the headphones into and out of when the time comes.

Steve
I have these bags, but wouldn't it actually be worse to store them in a closed container ( like the Ziplock bag ) ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have these bags, but wouldn't it actually be worse to store them in a closed container ( like the Ziplock bag ) ?
If the headphones are wet from use (head sweat) before going into the ziplock bag, it would be much worse.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Not if you put the silica gel in with them, as I mentioned. That will draw the moisture out of the headphones.

Steve
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Not if you put the silica gel in with them, as I mentioned. That will draw the moisture out of the headphones.

Steve
I'll try to see where I can get the gel, I got an air purifier for my allergy, would that be as effective as the de humidifier ? (I've never owned neither so I have no idea ).

Thanks for your input !
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Steve
I think you still have to be pretty careful about this, as eventually the silica gel will absorb all the moisture it can, at which point I'm pretty sure it does become worse to have them in a bag. There are some color changing silica gels you could use, and once they change color, you can then dry them out again in an oven and reuse.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I'll try to see where I can get the gel, I got an air purifier for my allergy, would that be as effective as the de humidifier ? (I've never owned neither so I have no idea ).

Thanks for your input !
No, an air purifier only filters the air. Some have filters that will remove airborne bacteria and mold/mildew spores, but those are pretty expensive, and they still don't remove moisture. Most are just for dust. You can look up the one you have to see if it removes mold and mildew, but I'm guessing it doesn't if your problem is this bad.

A de-humidifier may make your allergies worse, however. It will dry out the air (not completely, and you can usually adjust it), but without knowing how that would affect your allergies, I don't know if a de-humidifier would be good for you in that room. It would certainly help with any moisture/mold/mildew problems, but if it makes your allergies worse, you'll be worse off in the end.

Steve
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
I think you still have to be pretty careful about this, as eventually the silica gel will absorb all the moisture it can, at which point I'm pretty sure it does become worse to have them in a bag. There are some color changing silica gels you could use, and once they change color, you can then dry them out again in an oven and reuse.
True, there are some silica gel packs that can be re-used. But regardless of which type he got, he'd pretty much know if they were no longer working, since the problem would re-appear. At that point, he could replace the gel packs or dry them out and re-use them.

Steve
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
No, an air purifier only filters the air. Some have filters that will remove airborne bacteria and mold/mildew spores, but those are pretty expensive, and they still don't remove moisture. Most are just for dust. You can look up the one you have to see if it removes mold and mildew, but I'm guessing it doesn't if your problem is this bad.

A de-humidifier may make your allergies worse, however. It will dry out the air (not completely, and you can usually adjust it), but without knowing how that would affect your allergies, I don't know if a de-humidifier would be good for you in that room. It would certainly help with any moisture/mold/mildew problems, but if it makes your allergies worse, you'll be worse off in the end.

Steve
My air purifier model is : Coway AP-1005AH, I'm not 100% sure if it does remove mold spores, and if so if that would actually help, as for the de-humidifier no idea if that would worsen my allergy, but I cannot afford it for now anyway.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
My air purifier model is : Coway AP-1005AH, I'm not 100% sure if it does remove mold spores, and if so if that would actually help, as for the de-humidifier no idea if that would worsen my allergy, but I cannot afford it for now anyway.
Well, again, you could try DampRid (to cover the whole room) and/or the Ziplock bags with the silica gel for just the headphones. And if you get the gel that changes colors when it needs to be dried (as @ over-man suggested), you should be able to stay one step ahead of the mold.

Steve
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

OP: I'd get a few silica gel packs and toss them and the phones in here. It's probably the all-around best solution from all aspects, including your concerns:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Pressu....c100008.m2219
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
OP: I'd get a few silica gel packs and toss them and the phones in here. It's probably the all-around best solution from all aspects, including your concerns:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Pressu....c100008.m2219
But where would you keep your gun?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I'll try to get silica gel that changes color, even tho I don't think I will find that in my country, but I'll try, thanks everyone for your input ! I'm just so scared, this headset was so expensive, and it's my dream headset so I don't want the same problem to occur.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll try to get silica gel that changes color, even tho I don't think I will find that in my country, but I'll try, thanks everyone for your input !
Here's a link to the silica I have:

https://www.sorbentsystems.com/desic...-box_appl.html

The thing that surpised me was just how quickly they went from being dry to saturated, which made me even more glad I had the color changing version...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search