The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Query Regarding These "Patch Bays" - Can Anyone Take A Look?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Query Regarding These "Patch Bays" - Can Anyone Take A Look?

I got 4 patch bays given to me for free. I was not specifically looking for them because I didn't think I needed one for my setup, however I am told it should make things more convenient. I didn't think I had researched how to use them enough so far to warrant chasing them though. Since they were free, I will give them a shot though.

However, obviously I would only need one for my setup. Also, there appear to be 2 types, 2 of each. I believe 2 of them are not suitable for audio / recording studio purposes?

I included a pic showing the front and rear of each type. Can anyone let me know what the differences are and which are suitable for studio use?

The rear sides look very different on each type.

In fact, are any of these actually studio patch bays? I never heard of this brand and I got it from a place that was not a music studio. I mean they sure look like them...

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Am I correct in thinking that 2 of these are TRS for audio use and the other 2 are for something else (maybe video?)???
Old 4 weeks ago
Two are TRS and could totally be used for studios, the others are video patchbays for BNC connectors. The one with the back showing on the right is the audio one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnettstudios View Post
Two are TRS and could totally be used for studios, the others are video patchbays for BNC connectors. The one with the back showing on the right is the audio one.
Thanks so much.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnettstudios View Post
By the way, I am no electronics guy but it looks like all the wiring has been stripped off. Do I need to re-wire this in order to use it and solder new wiring to it?

Thanks again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yes, they need to be rewired. There are plenty of afordable options for pre-wired patch bays these days. I like the Samson S-patch plus.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry_Tross View Post
Yes, they need to be rewired. There are plenty of afordable options for pre-wired patch bays these days. I like the Samson S-patch plus.
Thanks. Right. Seems not worth the hassle to save a bit of money. I could earn the amount for a patch bay many times over by the time I learned how to even think about wiring that up.

Thanks for the link. Would this one be comparable?

https://www.thomann.de/intl/hk/neutr...p_patchbay.htm

That would be easy to get since I am making a bigger order from there already.

It's also only 1u whereas these free ones I got waste 2u!

Last edited by konkon; 4 weeks ago at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Thanks. Right. Seems not worth the hassle to save a bit of money. I could earn the amount for a patch bay many times over by the time I learned how to even think about wiring that up.

The Samson is switchable on the front, Neutrik one is half-normalled all the way
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
The Samson is switchable on the front, Neutrik one is half-normalled all the way
Ah okay, thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

The difference is that the ones in the photo are definitely PRO, as in "heavy duty". Cheap patchbays can be a real PIA in the long run (intermittent jacks, etc). As we do not know what your rig consists of, it's hard to say whether a patchbay is really a good investment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraisoundman View Post
The difference is that the ones in the photo are definitely PRO, as in "heavy duty". Cheap patchbays can be a real PIA in the long run (intermittent jacks, etc). As we do not know what your rig consists of, it's hard to say whether a patchbay is really a good investment.
Ah I see. That's a good point I guess. The downside to them is that they're 2u and they need work. Not to mention I am not sure if I even want to use a patch bay since I have only setup a studio to record my own band. I am not likely to change things around a ton on the fly. I have around 12 pieces of gear so far and I don't plan on having much more anytime in the foreseeable future.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
The Neutrik normalling is configurable by reversing the boards....it's pretty simple if a little fiddly.

The Behringer PX3000 is available at Thomann for similar price to that Neutrik and has normal switching on the top and people seem to quite like it.

Don't think that Neutrik is anything special because of the name....it's likely a generic Chinese made bay with their name on. In fact, the Thomann own brand patchbay is clearly from the same factory.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/hk/the_s...8_patchbay.htm
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post

Yes, certainly comparable. The only real benefit to the Samson is that it features it's wiring configuration from the front panel (normalled/half-normaled/through) this setting is what determines the routing of the jacks. The samson is the only model I know if with this on the front. Most require you to un-rack and open up. Behringer patch bays I have seen have a switch on the top, so you still have to un-rack.

It's been handy for me on multiple occasions to have ready access.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search