The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to attain this bass sound?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

How to attain this bass sound?

Hi All

I have a US Standard Precision and VT bass di but still can't quite get this sound. I once tried a Mustang bass in a shop and it wasn't far away using a pick and palm muting.

Any ideas?

Strictly talking about studio sound, not live.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 4 weeks ago at 01:15 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds like samples or analog synth to me. Key bass.

I've had a few pedals that would get close, but the "resonance" like on The Great Divide would be much less consistent.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hey !

Short scale bass or semi hollow(hofner, surf bass) . With flat wound strings. Palmed when played with a pick. Sounds compressed a bit with 1176.

You can do it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0UNG M00N View Post
Hey !

Short scale bass or semi hollow(hofner, surf bass) . With flat wound strings. Palmed when played with a pick. Sounds compressed a bit with 1176.

You can do it.
I'm playing bass since more than 30 years and this is one of my favourite sounds that I use a lot. Young Moon is correct. Flat wounds and a pick are the most important ingredients. Mute with your palm or put some foam under the strings close to the bridge. If you mute, it sounds very good playing finger style or with your thumb instead of a pick. The older Precisions and the American Vintage Series had a bit of foam pressing against the strings under the bridge cover. Jazz Basses had special mutes for strings. Don't let anyone tell you that you can mimic flat wounds with old roundwounds or just turning the treble down. I rather slap with flats than mute-pick with rounds.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search