The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What the best vocal mic for my voice? rough track included (Hip Hop)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What the best vocal mic for my voice? rough track included (Hip Hop)

Whats good everyone!

Im looking to get a mic for my studio, the chain it will be going into is a BAE 1073mp> Duet, although that is open to change if theres is a specific pairing.

I wanted to know if someone can point me in the right direction, my price point is around 3k.

I previously owned the Manley Ref C but decided to sell it and take a break from music. Im getting back into it now would appreciate the gearslutz wisdom.

I am also thinking of upgrading the Duet to a Lynx Hilo, is it worth it?

My plan is to do all the tracking at home and then send it out to be mixed/mastered for now.

Here is one of my rough copy tracks for you get a sound for what my voice sounds like.

Thank You!
Attached Files

Templ8_3.wav (14.50 MB, 218 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There's weird imaging/panning on that vocal recording but honestly the raw sound sounds better than the majority of hip hop tracks I can think of.
The top end is smooth, the upper midrange is present, the low end is warm.

On vocals, and if you're not using the internal preamp, the upgrade into anything better than the Duet converters will only be noticeable in the top end accuracy, particularly in plosives, since cheaper converters smear the sound slightly. Since you're adding a moderate amount of reverb, this is completely masked anyway. You don't need to upgrade to sound better – maybe to hear your mixing decisions better on the DA converter.

If you recorded that yourself, you absolutely don't need to upgrade your kit, you should focus on production, mixing, and songwriting.
Maybe spend that £3k for a great mixing and mastering engineer instead.
Old 4 weeks ago
If you’re 1073MP is a twin channel, get an Apollo X twin and a Townsend mic, and you’re basically done.

You’d have awesome ADC / DAC and a nice that can give you totally clean (never blown out) sounds with every classic option under the sun.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What was used on your example? The Ref C?
Thanks, Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies, the BAE is a single channel so that wont work.

I was just thinking maybe do something like the U87 and 737 (not that i have an issue with the 1073MP)

I don't plan on doing much mixing so I guess I'll keep the duet. My goal is to just have the the best possible chain for tracking.

Would a analog compressor like the LA2A be worth the cost if im still going to have it sent out?

I currently have no microphone so I need to figure this out ASAP and get this going..

I looked at the U87 but the ive heard mixed reviews on the Ai, I've tried a vintage 87 I liked but it was a rental, and vintage mic quality apparently is different from mic to mic I'm not really trying to take my chances. So far the blue bottle mic seems to be a option.

Any recommendations for a in your face vocal mic with my voice please let me know!

& I believe that recording was done on a M-Audio Sputnik.

Thank You
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

btw DestoringJack I appreciate what you said.. The mixing done on it was minimal. The vocal was just a small piece to the track, i tried to upload the whole thing but when i tried posting it, the file was to large. This is my first time posting on gearslutz not sure if theres a way around it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nice/Used U87ai plus the Advanced Audio version of the Sony C800G...

Would cover a lot of bases.
How's your room treatment?
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Right now I have a SE reflection filter and a acoustic matt/drape

My plan right now is to build a booth using a shed from home depot around 4x8 or using a room divider and treating it
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Cool!
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search