The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What exactly was the thinking behind the mid-2000's "clean pres straight into PTHD" c
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
... and as glanced upon... the “vibe” we all go on about now with regard to tape, THD, noise, etc was, until recently, the bane of an engineer’s life. I think an old-timer plucked from 1966 and dropped into a modern studio would sh|t himself first over how Clean and quiet a program is today... but I think he’d double-sh|t himself as he watched in horror as a bunch of plugins were thrown on to make these tracks sound distorted, with wow and flutter for days, etc.
True!

But there’s a few guys I know who are doing decent enough work...but everything they produce, even when run through their beloved modded and recapped “vibey” console, still has the sheen of too much separation.

I hear it in what I’d term “plastic metal” - the hardcore (Canadians seem to produce a lot of this, no slight on the very good Canadian mixers and bands!) where everything is synthetic - drums heavily sample replaced, guitars all DIs and amp sims, one distressor on everything tracked and then mixed ITB. I hear it on records made by the big fishes in very small ponds - the one guy with a decent studio in a small town. And you get it a little from some guys who’ve been doing it years but when they made the digital transition, they kind of left behind the stuff that made things sound “finished” and never really found a way to replicate that.

That’s a few examples, but in no way all encompassing - many people in all those situations do things very well!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
True!

But there’s a few guys I know who are doing decent enough work...but everything they produce, even when run through their beloved modded and recapped “vibey” console, still has the sheen of too much separation.

I hear it in what I’d term “plastic metal” - the hardcore (Canadians seem to produce a lot of this, no slight on the very good Canadian mixers and bands!) where everything is synthetic - drums heavily sample replaced, guitars all DIs and amp sims, one distressor on everything tracked and then mixed ITB. I hear it on records made by the big fishes in very small ponds - the one guy with a decent studio in a small town. And you get it a little from some guys who’ve been doing it years but when they made the digital transition, they kind of left behind the stuff that made things sound “finished” and never really found a way to replicate that.

That’s a few examples, but in no way all encompassing - many people in all those situations do things very well!
Metalcore and Nuclear Blast Recordsproductions! Even when they have real amps, it sounds like amp sims. I was amazed Andy Sneap uses OTB hardware.
Old 3 weeks ago
I recall a few doing this. Laurence Juber and Greg Karukas both used very clean mic preamps into various destinations. I recall visiting Greg's place on White Oak Ave in Granada Hills 15 odd years ago (where I grew up in LA).

I was watching/listening to a famous bass player tracking but I had to leave in about 10 minutes. The Pro Tools playback grind made me leave, I couldn't take that sound. The analog sound before conversion sounded great though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’ve never associated super clean tracking and modded gear with the plastic surgery sounding mixes. I think that may be a smart way to track if that’s what your after, but I’ve always thought recording direct, ITB mixing, and the desire for that sound was the reason. We record very clean here and if we don’t like what we here we adjust the amp, mic, mic placement, or position in the room. I got into modding gear to get tools in the tool box at a discounted price compared to new. It has served me well. The goal is lower noise, lower THD, extended bandwidth, and more linearity. An op amp swap will add something sonically sometimes but it’s very subtle usually. The big difference in doing all this is when you sum 24 console channels, 8 sub groups, aux sends, compressors, EQ’s, and effects OTB. It’s easier and takes less effort to get to the finished product.

Last edited by Brian M. Boykin; 3 weeks ago at 07:31 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search