The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for subwoofer for studio, JBL, presonus or Rhythmik?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Looking for subwoofer for studio, JBL, presonus or Rhythmik?

So I've narrowed down my choices to either he JBL LSR310s, Presonus T10 or Rhythmik L12. I initially purchased a presonus t10 that died within 3 weeks, I really enjoyed the sound of it and the ability to use a foot pedal to check the mix. I also liked that it had a variable crossover I could set at 100 or 120 if needed.

Looking up further online it appears a lot of people have had issues with these units dying. I found on amazon an extra 4 year warranty for 110$ and I'm considering repurchasing the Presonus T10 but it makes it quite pricey at that mark.

The LSR310s only cuts off at 80, and I've heard some people have issues with it being very quiet, sometimes barely noticeable alongside the mains which is not really what I want from a 200 watt sub...

The rhythmik are a bit pricier but come with a 3 year warranty, 300 watts, sealed sub, apparantly go quite low i think it was 19... they also have a variable crossover, I am pretty tempted to go with the rhythmiks but hesitant as they are not typically for music use? its also the largest at 12" even though the box is smaller.

any advice here? I am running mackie HR624s as my mains, I would like to monitor a 5 string bass through these so I require quite low definition and would like to take the strain off my mains. Kinda leaning towards the rhythmik as ive heard quite a lot of good things but its all on home theatre pages, can you accurately mix on them?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Your Mackies are reasonably flat down to 50 Hz. Crossing into a sub at 100 or 120 is wasting a lot of the money you spent on these main speakers. The 80hz crossover on the JBL sub seems to match well with your Mackies and will extend your bass down into the 30s, which should give you a clearer picture of a five string bass or a big kick.
As to the sub being quiet, the JBL has a lot of adjustment range, as do your Mackie, so matching levels should be a problem you can solve.

The most common mistake in adding a sub to studio monitors is turning the sub way up “so you can hear it”. That’s OK if you are just listening for pleasure or gaming. If you are mixing, you should set the sub up with REW or some similar program to be FLAT, not hyped. Flat may be a little disappointing, because it won’t hype the bass you already have (and your Mackies have a lot). The sub should just fill in an octave you don’t have.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Rhythmik is the best choice among those I think. No experience with Presonus, but do own the JBL. It isn't bad, but the Rhythmik is better. A friend has some Rhythmiks. I don't find the JBL too quiet even in a larger room I have it in. But it doesn't go as low as the Rhythmik. And at extremes it cannot play as loudly as the Rhythmik.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search