The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MWTM Andy wallace -phase button explanation
Old 4 days ago
  #1
MWTM Andy wallace -phase button explanation

Didn't know where to post this but I thought this was pretty funny.
Mix with the masters is the best. Really.
To sit and watch these guys do what they do and just pick up information.

But I watched Andy Wallace mixing a metal track.
He is so cute.
He was explaining how he checked the phase on inside kick against outside kick.
And he said that it is very easy on a ssl because it has a phase button.
But if you don't have that you can patch in an out of phase cable to check the phase.

And I just thought... Who do he think is watching this?
Did he think that guys in analogue consoles watching this and don't know how to check the phase.
And probably 99% of everyone watching has a DAW involved in their mixing process.
Anyway it felt kind of cute.
No disrespect to Andy wallace who is an amazing guy. Very humble and serious.
But kind of funny in a way
Old 4 days ago
  #2
To be fair...the number of people we see on here claiming they want a console "so I can mix OTB" and then go for a cheap 80s thing which might not!

But I get what you're saying. Still, at least he's being clear!
Old 4 days ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
GreenNeedle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Didn't know where to post this but I thought this was pretty funny.
Mix with the masters is the best. Really.
To sit and watch these guys do what they do and just pick up information.

But I watched Andy Wallace mixing a metal track.
He is so cute.
He was explaining how he checked the phase on inside kick against outside kick.
And he said that it is very easy on a ssl because it has a phase button.
But if you don't have that you can patch in an out of phase cable to check the phase.

And I just thought... Who do he think is watching this?
Did he think that guys in analogue consoles watching this and don't know how to check the phase.
And probably 99% of everyone watching has a DAW involved in their mixing process.
Anyway it felt kind of cute.
No disrespect to Andy wallace who is an amazing guy. Very humble and serious.
But kind of funny in a way
I love those videos.
I think he approaches it like he is teaching beginners, and he tries to nail all the points, and rightly so, because the way folks learn this stuff these days they are bound to have many holes in their knowledge.

I think to guys with that kind of experience the little things like phase, HP/LP, setting up verbs etc are built in and part of the basics of work flow for them, the technical stuff, part of the minutia of getting to the point where they can actually shape and turn the song into something. Those are the things that they CAN teach people.

The other decisions like setting levels and riding faders etc are not things they can teach, that is why they are masters, because they know how to make those decisions instinctively.

Last edited by GreenNeedle; 3 days ago at 03:03 AM..
Old 4 days ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Andy is teaching technique. On a desk or in a DAW that's what you do.
I have a polarity button on every channel of my DAW but I don't work in Pro Tools I use Nuendo. You have to be able to flip mics or you are screwed. In PT you can use the trim plugin but how many trim plugins can you see at the same time? I love being able to see most of my phase button states in a single glance just like a console. Especially drums.
Old 4 days ago
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Andy is teaching technique. On a desk or in a DAW that's what you do.
I have a polarity button on every channel of my DAW but I don't work in Pro Tools I use Nuendo. You have to be able to flip mics or you are screwed.
In PT, that's probably the Trim plug for a lot for folks. With old, cheap 80's consoles, last resort was pulling a patch cable halfway out.
Old 4 days ago
  #6
Gear Nut
Sounded really condescending to me...
Old 4 days ago
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
I love those videos.
I think he approaches it like he is teaching beginners, and he tries not nail all the points, and rightly so, because the way folks learn this stuff these days they are bound to have many holes in their knowledge.

I think to guys with that kind of experience the little things like phase, HP/LP, setting up verbs etc are built in and part of the basics of work flow for them, the technical stuff, part of the minutia of getting to the point where they can actually shape and turn the song into something. Those are the things that they CAN teach people.

The other decisions like setting levels and riding faders etc are not things they can teach, that is why they are masters, because they know how to make those decisions instinctively.
I don’t know about anyone else, but if I look back there’s a few things that I really should have been taught early on in my uni course, rather than being bewildered by options and the minutiae of compression types etc. Polarity checks are one of those things! So if I ever give a talk (as I occasionally do) to uni students or similar, I try to weave those points in.

With all the book/YouTube/blind leading the blind learning going on at the moment, it’s hard to know exactly what will be beneficial.
Old 3 days ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 

I was just watching the MWTMs Andy Wallace videos today. How coincidental. I really love his videos, he really takes his time with his explanations and seems very genuine about trying to convey his knowledge and the reasons for what he is doing.

Yeah that is kind of funny though. I'm just glad he made those videos. A pleasure to watch.
Old 2 days ago
  #9
He seems like a very nice and genuine guy.
And has a very simple and effective way of mixing.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump