The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting rid of a little "Crunch" on picked bass notes
Old 5 days ago
Getting rid of a little "Crunch" on picked bass notes

Hey there. I just laid down the sweetest base line short of Jaco...just kidding-I'm no bass player. But I did get a part I'm happy with. It's a pretty fast part consisting mostly of a "country" 1 to 5th note alternation (if you know what I mean F/C, F/C, F,C, Bb/F, Bb/F etc)

I went into an 1176 and crushed it pretty good. There is a little "crunch" right when I pick the string. I tried getting rid of it speeding the attack but that didn't work. Any tools/tricks you more talented and knowledgeable Slutz know about?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Sound bite?
Is it there when you are not using the 1176?
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Sound bite?
Is it there when you are not using the 1176?
That's a good question I don't think so. I didn't really notice how pronounced it was until a while later. I also added a bunch of eq from a 550a, like 12db at certain frequences, so that was probably the culprit, wasn't it? Any way to get rid of it with a de-esser or some other trick? Just re-record? Thing is it really cut through and just pumped through the song.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Do you hear that crunch in the full mix or only when you solo the bass track? If it's the former, there's nothing to fix because it's probably helping the bass cut through. If it's the latter, then maybe you need to back off on the processing a bit or try to notch filter it out if it's got a predominant frequency.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Just play it again without all that.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Do you hear that crunch in the full mix or only when you solo the bass track? If it's the former, there's nothing to fix because it's probably helping the bass cut through. If it's the latter, then maybe you need to back off on the processing a bit or try to notch filter it out if it's got a predominant frequency.
It's definitely when I solo it. But I'll relisten because I don't think it's noticeable except maybe in a few place. Maybe that is part of why I am digging it. Never thought of that!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Try a pick made of softer material, Dunlop has 'em. And back off the 1176. Also, don't be afraid to record it again, many times if need be, you'll gain from it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Try finding the offending freq, and cut it with an EQ, potentially with a very narrow Q.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Try finding the offending freq, and cut it with an EQ, potentially with a very narrow Q.
Oeeksound “spiff” works really well for this sort of thing - eq is generally a lost cause cos the freq range is too big.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Try *slowing down* the attack (and maybe the release, too).
Very fast compressors try following a low sound‘s wave form as if it were an envelope, thus applying audio-frequency AM to the source, distorting it in the process.
The 1176 can definitely be fast enough to do this.
If changing time constants doesn‘t help, the problem is something else.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoolboy Jim View Post
That's a good question I don't think so. I didn't really notice how pronounced it was until a while later. I also added a bunch of eq from a 550a, like 12db at certain frequences, so that was probably the culprit, wasn't it? Any way to get rid of it with a de-esser or some other trick? Just re-record? Thing is it really cut through and just pumped through the song.
-Just re-record. Play without a pick. Or better yet, as vernier suggest, get one of those felt picks. Those are great for adding a little "pick-punch" without the sharp transient.

-And yes, Andy Champ brings up attack time as probably a thing here. An artificial transient is being generated by the 1176. I use this to punch up floppy snare drums.

-Forget the EQ on the way in.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
-Just re-record. Play without a pick. Or better yet, as vernier suggest, get one of those felt picks. Those are great for adding a little "pick-punch" without the sharp transient.
My favorites for bass are the Fender Extra Heavy (hard to find) and the thicker gauges of Dunlop Tortex (.88 and higher). A big bonus of pick-playing is that clean, controlled cutoffs are easier.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
My favorites for bass are the Fender Extra Heavy (hard to find) and the thicker gauges of Dunlop Tortex (.88 and higher). A big bonus of pick-playing is that clean, controlled cutoffs are easier.
I've used those Tortex heavy for bass, and yeah, they work well. Still prefer felt... or there's a company that makes thick rubber picks that I dig. They sound like aggressive thumb playing.

Nice how with pick playing, you can use the palm mute technique like guitar.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Oeeksound “spiff” works really well for this sort of thing - eq is generally a lost cause cos the freq range is too big.
I'll bet that would do the trick. I'm all analog though. Thanks
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
A transient shaper plugin, dynamic EQ or even an adjustable deesser could do the job.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're recording to tape?

Guys - he's recording to tape!!!!
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
You're recording to tape?

Guys - he's recording to tape!!!!
Hell no, I'm not that cool. I record to an Alesis HD24, which I love! I used Pro Tools about 10 years ago and I had bad memories of sitting in front of my computer for hours wondering about latency and clicking a mouse.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Hell no, I'm not that cool. I record to an Alesis HD24, which I love! I used Pro Tools about 10 years ago and I had bad memories of sitting in front of my computer for hours wondering about latency and clicking a mouse.
Oh well. You have to work old school then and re-record without that sound!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Oh well. You have to work old school then and re-record without that sound!
Unless the HD24 allows you to edit the wavefile shape - should only take a week or two!
Old 4 days ago
Quote:

Quote:
So not actually all analogue then just no DAW facilities!

Some might say that’s the worst of both worlds, but hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
Unless the HD24 allows you to edit the wavefile shape - should only take a week or two!
Or I suppose bounce it out and let a helpful mate have a go...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
So not actually all analogue then just no DAW facilities!

Some might say that’s the worst of both worlds, but hey...

Or I suppose bounce it out and let a helpful mate have a go...
Indeed, the OP should post the bass track somewhere - I'd have a go!
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
Indeed, the OP should post the bass track somewhere - I'd have a go!
The spiff “make it fretless” preset (and then backed off) is probably a place to start...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
The spiff “make it fretless” preset (and then backed off) is probably a place to start...
Heard a lot of good things about soothe and spiff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search