The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Standalone 48v powe ir supply
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Standalone 48v powe ir supply

Hi all, I'm looking for a quality 48v power supply. I've got a Soyuz bomblet coming in and I want to run it into their new Launcher too. The Launcher requires 48v, and that will come from my preamp, so I'll need a separate 48v standalone to power the fet mic.

Any suggestions? Should I go cheap and buy whatever turns up first on google, or should I get something better?
Old 3 weeks ago
Launcher is for dynamic/ribbon mics only, from what I understand. Definitely don’t need that extra gain for the Bomblet, and their mics already sound great without any extra coloration.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglow View Post
Launcher is for dynamic/ribbon mics only, from what I understand. Definitely don’t need that extra gain for the Bomblet, and their mics already sound great without any extra coloration.
Nah, I've been using it with my ElaM 251 clone and it sounds great with that. You can put any signal through the Launcher, really. You just need power for the signal. Some people are apparently going to put synths through it too somehow.

It's true that they designed it for dynamic and ribbon mics, but there's nothing saying you can't put a condenser through it as long as you have the power.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Nah, I've been using it with my ElaM 251 clone and it sounds great with that. You can put any signal through the Launcher, really. You just need power for the signal. Some people are apparently going to put synths through it too somehow.

It's true that they designed it for dynamic and ribbon mics, but there's nothing saying you can't put a condenser through it as long as you have the power.
Fair enough. I can personally recommend the Samson S-Phantom. It steps up 18v to 48v rather than 12v like most other standalone supplies. I’d avoid the super-cheap stuff, as some of them only supply 12v phantom, or will otherwise fail mechanically (broken XLR connector, etc.)

My Samson hasn’t seen much use, but it works flawlessly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fair enough. I can personally recommend the Samson S-Phantom. It steps up 18v to 48v rather than 12v like most other standalone supplies. I’d avoid the super-cheap stuff, as some of them only supply 12v phantom, or will otherwise fail mechanically (broken XLR connector, etc.)

My Samson hasn’t seen much use, but it works flawlessly.
My apologies if I came off as rude in my original reply. I just typed up a response quickly .... But yeah, I've found the Launcher has worked well my 251. From the samples posted online, I didn't expect it to be too coloured with the 251, and that's exactly how it all sounds. It's a really nice combo, so I want to see how it sounds with more LDCs. Marc from Soyuz said they tried it out with their mic lineup too and that it sounded really nice. I could see it adding just a touch more colour and maybe some more smoothness with the Bomblet or the 017 mics. So I figure I'll get a standalone 48v supply to try it out. If it doesn't work out well... well then I'll have a standalone 48v box in case I need one in another situation, lol. I was thinking of picking up a Vanguard V4 at some point too (another FET LDC), and I bet the Launcher would sound super nice with that as Vanguard's stuff seems to be fairly transparent from what I've heard.

Do you have a Bomblet? I've been reading through Soyuz threads and saw that you picked up a 017 FET and that you love it. I wanted to get that mic too, but it was just slightly out of my budget as I need to make some other purchases too .... I've read some people say that the Bomblet sounds a little more "modern" than the 017 mics, but I've personally found the 017s to be a bit more open and extended in the low end, though the Bomblet certainly isn't without its high end and low end lushness. The Bomblet sounds a bit more "smokey" to me in the samples I've heard but still with a lovely and smooth top end that will take EQ really well, while the 017s have this slight high mid/high euphonic thing going on.

Awesome studio by the way! The Samson looks like just what I need. I'm thinking about the Coil Audio supply too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
My apologies if I came off as rude in my original reply. I just typed up a response quickly .... But yeah, I've found the Launcher has worked well my 251. From the samples posted online, I didn't expect it to be too coloured with the 251, and that's exactly how it all sounds. It's a really nice combo, so I want to see how it sounds with more LDCs. Marc from Soyuz said they tried it out with their mic lineup too and that it sounded really nice. I could see it adding just a touch more colour and maybe some more smoothness with the Bomblet or the 017 mics. So I figure I'll get a standalone 48v supply to try it out. If it doesn't work out well... well then I'll have a standalone 48v box in case I need one in another situation, lol. I was thinking of picking up a Vanguard V4 at some point too (another FET LDC), and I bet the Launcher would sound super nice with that as Vanguard's stuff seems to be fairly transparent from what I've heard.

Do you have a Bomblet? I've been reading through Soyuz threads and saw that you picked up a 017 FET and that you love it. I wanted to get that mic too, but it was just slightly out of my budget as I need to make some other purchases too .... I've read some people say that the Bomblet sounds a little more "modern" than the 017 mics, but I've personally found the 017s to be a bit more open and extended in the low end, though the Bomblet certainly isn't without its high end and low end lushness. The Bomblet sounds a bit more "smokey" to me in the samples I've heard but still with a lovely and smooth top end that will take EQ really well, while the 017s have this slight high mid/high euphonic thing going on.

Awesome studio by the way! The Samson looks like just what I need. I'm thinking about the Coil Audio supply too.
No rudeness detected on my end, so no worries!

I’ve actually got the 017 TUBE version, and yes I love it; it’s my first pick for literally every mono overdub (vocals, guitar, sax...). It just sounds great on everything. I haven’t noticed it having an extended low end so much as a very strong proximity effect. What I love most is the upper-mid boost around 5kHz. It then has a bit of a dip just above that, which tames sibilance very nicely, and then it has another lift around 12khz that makes it sound like you put a smooth “air” EQ on it (like the Maag). Basically it just makes everything sound much closer to “finished” right off the bat. I find myself barely processing it after tracking... much less need for EQ/compression. It’s definitely got a vintage vibe, so it wouldn’t be my first pick for modern pop (although I have used it in that capacity and with heavy-handed EQ and compression (which it takes well) it can get you there. I could go on and on...

As for the bomblet, I borrowed one for a session and ended up using it as the outside kick mic, and it sounded great in that capacity. Tried it on vocals too but the 017 was better for this project. Still, I intend to get a bomblet (and their tube SDCs) as money allows; their stuff is just top notch.

That Coil Audio phantom supply looks nice...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You can find the old AKG 48v psu’s on eBay for cheap fairly regularly. I’ve got 12 channels of them for vintage pres, mics and cloud-lifters etc. They’re built to last!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No rudeness detected on my end, so no worries!

I’ve actually got the 017 TUBE version, and yes I love it; it’s my first pick for literally every mono overdub (vocals, guitar, sax...). It just sounds great on everything. I haven’t noticed it having an extended low end so much as a very strong proximity effect. What I love most is the upper-mid boost around 5kHz. It then has a bit of a dip just above that, which tames sibilance very nicely, and then it has another lift around 12khz that makes it sound like you put a smooth “air” EQ on it (like the Maag). Basically it just makes everything sound much closer to “finished” right off the bat. I find myself barely processing it after tracking... much less need for EQ/compression. It’s definitely got a vintage vibe, so it wouldn’t be my first pick for modern pop (although I have used it in that capacity and with heavy-handed EQ and compression (which it takes well) it can get you there. I could go on and on...

As for the bomblet, I borrowed one for a session and ended up using it as the outside kick mic, and it sounded great in that capacity. Tried it on vocals too but the 017 was better for this project. Still, I intend to get a bomblet (and their tube SDCs) as money allows; their stuff is just top notch.

That Coil Audio phantom supply looks nice...
Ah, nice, the tube version. Yep, that frequency profile and "vintage vibe," with the wonderful air. I know what you mean there. It's a sound I really love. I downloaded the sample files from the Soyuz soundcloud and messed around with EQ and compression. I was able to get a more similar vocal profile after that between the Bomblet and 017, though they each still retain their individual characteristics. You know a mic is phenomenal when it sounds finished right off the bat.

Oh, I didn't really mean an extended low end in general for the 017 (though I wasn't exactly clear); I meant that it has a bit more low end extension in comparison to the Bomblet. But it's not like the low end is lacking at all in the Bomblet. That may not even be what I'm hearing anyway .... It could just be that the low end in each sounds a little different from the construction, but the frequency response is similar down there.

I would love their tube SDCs for drum overheads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
You can find the old AKG 48v psu’s on eBay for cheap fairly regularly. I’ve got 12 channels of them for vintage pres, mics and cloud-lifters etc. They’re built to last!
The B48 L? Looks really nice. I'll see if I can find one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search