The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Record Analog, then dump into Pro Tools
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Record Analog, then dump into Pro Tools

I have an analog to digital scenario in mind to try. I have recently acquired a 1979 MCI JH-110 C, 1 inch 8 track tape machine in great shape. My console is a 16 channel Soundcraft 400b modified with direct outs. I have some experience with purely analog recording but mostly 1/4 inch and cassette. My working plan is to record on all 8 tracks of the MCI, then dump individually into Pro Tools via my Focusrite Clarrett 8PreX. There are better converters out there but we're doing all of this on a budget. If anyone has done something similar what are some problems you ran into? Is there a better way to get analog goodness with the depth of digital editing? This being a viable option for effects and compression, as I don't have much outboard gear. Mostly in my studio we work on performance based, single take music. Not genre specific. Also is it better to digitize at the very last step? For instance record, mix down, and master all Analog theeeeeeeen put it into 1's and 0's? That way I could transfer at a higher bit rate with less computer use?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
If I were in your shoes that's the way I would do it. Capture to tape then dump to Pro Tools. Do the rest in the digital realm.

To me, the capture to analog is the most important.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I did something similar to this for many years, with a 16-track tape machine and 32 channel interface.

If you record to tape and THEN dump you may run into some timing issues as the tape speed will fluctuate slightly. Editing to compensate would be a nightmare.

What I did was record to tape and the DAW, multing at the patchbay from the preamp outputs, with the tape machine in repro. Both tape and direct to DAW were recorded and then lined up the tape tracks with the direct to DAW tracks and then hid the direct to DAW tracks.

This is the best of both worlds, getting the sound of tape into the DAW and keeping your timing very good. All overdubs can be recorded the same way and you can have as many tracks in your session as you want that hit tape on the way it.

If you record to tape, rewind and dump into the DAW every time you’ll run into timing issues that can’t be undone. Seems to work just fine coming off the repro head into the DAW and lining up after the take.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search