The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Better Fatter sound
Old 1 week ago
Better Fatter sound

Hello there!!!
Ok here is the deal. I really like how my di on audient id22 sounds but i want to make my bass sound even better and huge!! So what do you suggest for about 500$ to put in front of the di? For clean sound! Is it worth to buy anythng?
A comp maybe?
Any answers appreciated!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

You're in the price range for a really good DI box.

I personally like the Motown/Wolfbox style of DI's. There are also tube DI's in this price range such as the REDDI and ZOD ID DI.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

REDDI (used) or ZOD DI (new) would be in that range! My friend who has an ID22 (my old one actually) picked up a REDDI and loves it. He's going REDDI into Avedis MA5 into the ID22 "Return" input on the back. Pretty ridiculous.

I would also add at my place I really, really like the Klark Teknik EQP-KT in the DI bass (or DI guitar) tracking signal chain. Subtle, but everything adds up, doesn't even need to be doing much EQ'ing, just adding some transformers and the tube stage seem to soften up the signal, maybe more of a feel thing than an audible thing, but it helps "feel" more like playing a tube amp. The EQ sounds good for bass, too, I just tend to get carried away with it while tracking so trying to keep it minimal, then can always run the recorded track back through it again as needed during mixing.

I've been super tempted to pick up a Klark KT-2A, but am holding out for a more expensive clone for whatever reason. The Klark Pultec and KT-2A are sooo cheap, would be great for a bass rig and add a lot of tubes and transformers for around $500, and can be used for mixing also. Check Thomann, even if in the US.

Also been really liking the Ampeg amp plugins from Plugin Alliance (or UA, I think they're basically the same?) and IK Multimedia. Haven't had them for very long, but they're obvious-level good quality so far IMO. Also MJUC on bass is pretty great, and very cheap. Also using Fabfilter Saturn. Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
iD22 DI > iD “send” > MR FOCUS “Stage II” with Mass Drivr card. Thank me later.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Yeah to echo MJUC the Aturia STA is also really good on bass. Also really like the Arousor from Empirical Labs, with a lot of saturation dialed in.

UAD Ampeg, plugin alliance also great. I own IK now so I need to test those more. Pultecs are a great shout KT is good and the Noise Ash Rule Tec plugin is also really good.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Anything with tubes!

I would look into the Reddi, Pultec clones, tube preamps (that new retro 500 maybe?), tube compressors (LOVE my IGS Tubecore 500 on bass and couldn't live without it).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by villis View Post
Hello there!!!
Ok here is the deal. I really like how my di on audient id22 sounds but i want to make my bass sound even better and huge!! So what do you suggest for about 500$ to put in front of the di? For clean sound! Is it worth to buy anythng?
A comp maybe?
Any answers appreciated!
The bass itself is 95% the sound ...and it can be subtly enhanced. Your DI is probably doing that. As for world class kick butt bass enhancements, (not talking overdrive) ...that'd be an LA2 or Pultec. Or both. But still they effect a portion of sound and dynamic.

Other things you can do, providing you like the sound of the instrument, is try one of the costly tube boxes, some mentioned here already. Ridge Farm Gas Cooker is another.

Anyway, seems you could use an amp along with your DI to get further where you're going ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Check out the Retrospec Juice Box, a tube DI. Excellent sound and construction quality.

http://retrospecaudio.com/the-juice-box/
Old 1 week ago
The only thing you can put “in front of the DI” is a pedal.

You can however replace the DI with a different DI or preamp.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
The bass itself is 95% the sound ...and it can be subtly enhanced. Your DI is probably doing that. As for world class kick butt bass enhancements, (not talking overdrive) ...that'd be an LA2 or Pultec. Or both. But still they effect a portion of sound and dynamic.

Other things you can do, providing you like the sound of the instrument, is try one of the costly tube boxes, some mentioned here already. Ridge Farm Gas Cooker is another.

Anyway, seems you could use an amp along with your DI to get further where you're going ?

Thank you for the reply! I tried few times to mic a cab with not such a great results! i have hum problems and not enough room!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
iD22 DI > iD “send” > MR FOCUS “Stage II” with Mass Drivr card. Thank me later.

this is very interesting!!! can i use the send from ID with something else? pre? comp?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by decocco View Post
Check out the Retrospec Juice Box, a tube DI. Excellent sound and construction quality.

http://retrospecaudio.com/the-juice-box/
seems so sexy!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post

yes i know that! so a great pedal like marlaeux? ebs micro? !! I want it to be clean
Maybe Eden? What is the top pedal for clean sound?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I had a musical mentor/housemate/bandmate when I was about 19. A drummer who was famous in Europe as a teenager and then came to the States to go to Berklee. He staged a couple of "interventions" with me.

One of them was the "your sound could be better" intervention. It consisted of sitting me down with my bass and my amp and a fat joint. He had me take several hits off the joint and then pick a single low note on the bass and play it for, like, 10 minutes (which seemed like an hour). The goal was to find the spot on the string and the spot on my finger and the proper attack that would make the note speak perfectly and beautifully.

After that, the next task was to alternate between the first note and a second note, and not only make them perfect and beautiful, but also the silence in between.

The silence in between is something that rarely gets enough attention.

Not counting the joint, which is optional anyway, this costs nothing. Which isn't Gearslutty in the slightest, but you may want to give it a shot.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I had a musical mentor/housemate/bandmate when I was about 19. A drummer who was famous in Europe as a teenager and then came to the States to go to Berklee. He staged a couple of "interventions" with me.

One of them was the "your sound could be better" intervention. It consisted of sitting me down with my bass and my amp and a fat joint. He had me take several hits off the joint and then pick a single low note on the bass and play it for, like, 10 minutes (which seemed like an hour). The goal was to find the spot on the string and the spot on my finger and the proper attack that would make the note speak perfectly and beautifully.

After that, the next task was to alternate between the first note and a second note, and not only make them perfect and beautiful, but also the silence in between.

Not counting the joint, which is optional anyway, this costs nothing. Which isn't Gearslutty in the slightest, but you may want to give it a shot.

Yeah this is great information! all begins with our fingers our heart and the bass! this is the basis!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yeah this is great information! all begins with our fingers our heart and the bass! this is the basis!
That's why I always sample the bass players.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Or a different bass player..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Or a different bass player..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I would say also how the sound transition to silence. This can be tasty or uneventful and boring.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
that's effectively a power amp/cab sim.

you'd also really want (for a conventional bass tone) a preamp pedal in front of it.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
that's effectively a power amp/cab sim.

you'd also really want (for a conventional bass tone) a preamp pedal in front of it.
i think all is gas on our minds but however i am tending to a tube pedal that may help me fatten my sound. a pro friend of me swears about it!

https://amt-sales.com/preamps/bricks-preamps/a-bass/
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
this is very interesting!!! can i use the send from ID with something else? pre? comp?
That’s the point. And the signal remains all analog from input>send>rtn.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I would say also how the sound transition to silence. This can be tasty or uneventful and boring.
For sure. You can "play" the cutoffs just as musically as you play the notes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMHO, few things are more efficient at creating weedy bass sound than harmonics and loose strings ringing between solid notes.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
IMHO, few things are more efficient at creating weedy bass sound than harmonics and loose strings ringing between solid notes.
In the old times, it made it so you often had to EQ the bass track to hide all that garbage, problem being that the bad stuff was the brightest stuff. At least now you can dive in and chop out all the sproinks and dernks and I-think-I'll-tap-along-with-the-snare crap. Majorly tedious but doable.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
That’s the point. And the signal remains all analog from input>send>rtn.

Man!!! i just try to mix 2 channels one bass > DI
and the other Di sent> tech 21 driver with plenty of distortion > return to the other channel

...that was amazing i A/B with just using parallel out of the pedal and it was sounded much much better!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for the reply! I tried few times to mic a cab with not such a great results! i have hum problems and not enough room!
Oh another thing (which is way common) is to use a small guitar amp along with the DI . . and let the DI handle the lows while the amp handles the upper nuances.

As for hum . . a battery powered amp usually/always takes care of that. Or, aim the headstock around, circle the room and look for the sweet spot where the hum dissapears.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Man!!! i just try to mix 2 channels one bass > DI
and the other Di sent> tech 21 driver with plenty of distortion > return to the other channel

...that was amazing i A/B with just using parallel out of the pedal and it was sounded much much better!!
That’s legit. Check out Mr. Focus and Colour Modular. Super flexible and Crazy affordable.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
That’s legit. Check out Mr. Focus and Colour Modular. Super flexible and Crazy affordable.
ANY LINKS?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search