The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)
Old 16th November 2019
Modded my DOD 201 for true bypass and more bass (switched the 0.01 µF input and output caps to 0.1 µF).

Net result: 10 dB more at 30 Hz.
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-p1040428.jpg  
Old 17th November 2019
About to record some drums to three tracks of my friend's acoustic/electric guitar and vocal parts that he played last night. It's my bandmate's one-man band that I'm the drummer for when he expands it out from just singing/guitar.

No overheads with this setup, just a Fat Head room mic
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-img_3721-copy.jpg  
Old 18th November 2019
Gear Addict

Just finished the week tracking lead female vocals for 8-songs after a day of trying 15 mics.
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-d3b70b99-85a9-44d9-ae82-b0212306b4a3.jpg   Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-f30bdf0a-8a71-404e-8d12-6f73256da6a3.jpg  
Old 18th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec_Eng View Post
Just finished the week tracking lead female vocals for 8-songs after a day of trying 15 mics.
do you charge the artist for you being a gz?!

while i can imagine having fun checking out a couple of mics, i cannot remember having spent more the 15minutes on max. 3 mics and 2 different preamps - with some experience, imo an educated guess does fine...
Old 18th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Going for a bright solo tone. This bottom lights up a dark stage nicely before a set!
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-vox-blacklight.jpg  
Old 18th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF View Post
tyding up after a session in my claustrophobic Studio
Looks downright homey....tight but right. My kind of place.

Old 18th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

What’s the bottom mic? Don’t recognize it.
Old 19th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
do you charge the artist for you being a gz?!

while i can imagine having fun checking out a couple of mics, i cannot remember having spent more the 15minutes on max. 3 mics and 2 different preamps - with some experience, imo an educated guess does fine...
Yes and no. Certainly not a typical thing at all, but if I’m giving them a deal and I really think it’s worthwhile, you bet I’m gonna burn a day finding the right vocal chain! Of course, this one was a bit more extreme.
Old 19th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
What’s the bottom mic? Don’t recognize it.
Don’t think you recognize half of them, since half are custom by Barbaric Amplification. The top is the first BA37 Chris made. It’s an MXL CR77 body, Sony C38B capsule, 5840w tube, and OEP transformer. The bottom is a Sterling ST51 body with an “upgraded” grill, Samar Audio/ Omni8 Audio cardioid capsule, can’t remember the tube right now (but it’s a miniature), and an AMI T13 transformer.
Old 19th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes and no. Certainly not a typical thing at all, but if I’m giving them a deal and I really think it’s worthwhile, you bet I’m gonna burn a day finding the right vocal chain! Of course, this one was a bit more extreme.
not gonna argue with that; it still amazes me though as in 35+ years, i haven't come across a voice which didn't sound very nice on a mic from a selection of three to max. four different types... - i fear i'm not a REAL gz?!

___

i suggest we all should be evaluating distance, gobos, pres, comps, converters, drinks, humidity, temperature, lights etc. - would make for endless options we could charge! and of course for 'custom solutions' we'd charge extra! :-)
Old 19th November 2019
Gear Addict

No, you’re absolutely right... Only 1 out of them all, did I feel I could not get something absolutely great! 4 of them ended-up covering the same ground. 3 of them ended-up covering another ground. 3 of them ended-up covering another ground and we’re the most well-balanced of all, but they all were not big-enough sounding next to the others, for this lead-vocal application.

What’s interesting, in this case, is that the two I chose ended-up being quite unique capsules!
Old 20th November 2019
Gear Guru

Wondering why a vocal take that should have dropped right in but didn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-vox-edit.jpg  
Old 20th November 2019
Gear Nut

At a mixing seminar...

At a mixing seminar with the great Guzauski @ Victoria records, Monterrey.
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-sal-ssl.jpg  
Old 21st November 2019
t_d
Lives for gear

diffusers make the best trinket holders...

mine currently house:

a viola bow
2 pairs of small mallets
remote controls for AC/shades
a field recorder
a Radial DI
a lego clone trooper my son left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I'm a big fan of studio trinkets. I have a bunch on the diffuser behind the drums.
Old 23rd November 2019
Gear Nut

Finally purchased a patchbay, and finishing up the cabling today. Looking nice and tidy.
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-b537093a-4aba-497d-b400-b145138dbfca.jpg  
Old 23rd November 2019
Lives for gear

Found a use for an old iPad.

Old 23rd November 2019
Lives for gear

ME-1NV

Getting to know my new-to-me, used Great River preamp. This one of those boxes that makes you think "why the f**k didn't I do this years ago"? It sounds great on guitars, bass and vocals. And I suspect everything else.

I'm blown away!!
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Tracking drums today with Andrew Borger.
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-ab8222ba-32cf-4618-a503-714fa173385d.jpg  
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Staring at this lukather time machine rack and thinking about how that sh|t is never getting lifted ever again lol
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-e80d8ac8-8497-4c62-a44e-231830b856ba.jpg  
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post

What app and for what daw?
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
What app and for what daw?
DAW Remote running on an iPad 1, which isn’t good for much of anything else now. Running Logic and it was super easy to set up, there’s a Logic setup in the app. There’s 3 different views, this is the big button view but the other 2 have faders for couch mixing.
Old 24th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
DAW Remote running on an iPad 1, which isn’t good for much of anything else now. Running Logic and it was super easy to set up, there’s a Logic setup in the app. There’s 3 different views, this is the big button view but the other 2 have faders for couch mixing.
is it V-Control Pro?
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
is it V-Control Pro?
No, it’s called DAW Remote. Only app I could find that would run on an iPad 1 so I didn’t have much selection, but quite happy with it. The D&R it’s sitting on is midi controlled and motorized so I really just wanted transport control anyway.
Old 25th November 2019
Bells are ringing
Attached Thumbnails
Today in the studio... (photo upload thread)-img_3425.jpg  
Old 25th November 2019
Not my studio, but I got to visit a pretty special place today..

Old 25th November 2019
Quote:

Does this work with pro tools?

EDIT: Should've just googled it, it does support Pro Tools. I'll probably buy this, thanks for the tip!
Old 25th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicnomad View Post

Cool joint, ain't it.
Old 25th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Cool joint, ain't it.
Totally. I'm from the Netherlands and I'm interning in Philly right now. Couldn't resist not to fly to Chicago and visit. Friendly and welcoming people!
Old 25th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Totally. I'm from the Netherlands and I'm interning in Philly right now. Couldn't resist not to fly to Chicago and visit. Friendly and welcoming people!
Very much.
Old 25th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

What!!!!!! There’s a DAW there? Guess that not for clients and gmail? ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search