The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
tape echos
Old 5th December 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

I've been using a Hiwatt custom tape echo recently for both guitars and as a send effect. Sounds amazing...though also pretty quiet and clean. This thing also distorts beautifully when overloaded. Gooey, warm distortion madness on infinite repeat....good times.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropblacksky View Post
I've been using a Hiwatt custom tape echo recently for both guitars and as a send effect.
I just got mine delivered this afternoon. Can't wait to try it out. My space echo is so f*cked that I'm actually looking forward to quiet & clean + nice distortion!
Show replies
Gear Nut

Wem Copicat.

I use a Wem Copicat, from Tools through a Radial X-amp. Sounds great, even without using the delay.
Show replies
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cattano View Post
Roland RE 501's, if you can find 'em, are incredible.

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano
Yes... I was lucky enough to be given one. I use it all the time.
Show replies
Old 6th December 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Just mixing an album in gearslut heaven!

ICP Recording Studios  

have got a 201, 555 (rack version of 501), Fulltone, Binson and a Moogerfooger delay pedal (I wish just one was mine) Anyhow they all sound very different but the most versatile is definitely the 555 the Fulltone makes me smile the most though, seems to go longer which I like and has a great and variable tone. The 201 is a classic and is being used alot too, however I'm surprised the 301 hasn't been mentioned, that has a 501 style chorus but with a more 201 flavour and for me is the most desirable of all the Roland Echoes. The noise reduction in the 501 makes it much cleaner than the 301 but for me the 301 just has a little edge in the vibe department.

Plug in wise the only thing that comes close for me is Echoboy, I haven't heard the UAD stuff so can't comment.....
Show replies
Lives for gear

RE-201 and RE-301 are classics, RE-501 starts to wander off the territory.
Korg Stage echo is boring clean but reliable in build quality.
and believe it or not the new boss re-20 is pretty good too.
Moogerfooger Delay is awesome, but isn't tape.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
RE-201 and RE-301 are classics, RE-501 starts to wander off the territory.
Korg Stage echo is boring clean but reliable in build quality.
and believe it or not the new boss re-20 is pretty good too.
Moogerfooger Delay is awesome, but isn't tape.

Yes the 501/555 sound quite different than a 201/301 but not in a bad way. the 150 (no reverb) sound similar to the 501, I think it uses the same IC circuitry (from what I gather on this space echo website) definitely cleaner than earlier Space Echoes. I sold mine though (got it from a flea market in France for £30, mint came even with the unopen cleaning kit and Roland tapes!!!)
I kept the 201, we also have a Binson Echorec II (in need of TLC), a Yamaha BBD delay rack (can't remember the name), the ubiquitous Line 6 DL4 and the Watkins Copycat....But again, I love the UA RE-201... the automation works great and open lots of possibilities + the splice trigger and the 3 tape settings (old/used/new)
Show replies
Old 7th December 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

Papst motors

HI: SOMEBODY KNOWS WHERE CAN I FIND A PAPST MOTOR FOR A DYNACORD ECHOCORD MINI? I THINK THAT IS THE SAME MOTOR THAT ECHOCORD 100....

IT'S VERY HARD TO FIND ONE!!!!!
Show replies
Old 12th April 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

bumping this old one...
I couldn't find anything on the net so this looks the perfect place...

What is the difference between the Multivox models MX-201 and MX-312?
Thanks for the answers!
Show replies
Old 12th April 2014
Gear Nut

the Evans Superecho is grest in the studio. Its got a great springrrverb. and all the functions of a roland box.
Show replies
Old 12th April 2014
Here for the gear

Yes I know about the Evans Super Echo. I'm asking about the difference between Multivox MX-201 and MX-312.
Thanks!
Show replies
Gear Addict

I have an Echoplex EP-3 that I'd like to trade for a Roland or other brand tape echo if anyone is interested. Echoplex works perfectly, recently serviced, is in good shape, and comes with extra parts.

I just want to use tape delay more as a studio effect than a guitar effect, and the echoplex is much better for guitar stuff.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
bumping this old one...
I couldn't find anything on the net so this looks the perfect place...

What is the difference between the Multivox models MX-201 and MX-312?
Thanks for the answers!
...jesus, doesn't anyone read the thread first...?

I have an Mx-312 and have not been able to tell the difference when using earlier models. If I recall they have the same features including sound on sound. Maybe the model name was prompted by something via the company and not design?
Show replies
Here for the gear

I'm sorry to disturb you with the question but I asked because I couldn't find the answer anywhere (including this post). If there is topic about this elsewhere please share the link.
Anyway thank you very much for the answer.

(btw... the number of the model doesn't mean anything... i.e. Korg SE 500 is older than SE 300... so it could be the MX 201 is newer with some other functions/improvements or older with some imperfections - I don't know so I asked)
Show replies
Old 13th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

No worries.

I was referring to the 3 posters that chimed right in based on the thread title and didn't bother to see that you had bumped an old thread with a very specific question. Sorry I don't have any more info for you, but perhaps someone else can chime in.
Show replies
Old 18th April 2014
Here for the gear

I really like the EP4. it can be driven from line level signals like outboard.
Show replies
Old 17th May 2017
Here for the gear

Hi all!
Thought I'd tag onto this old thread and see whether anyone can tell me what Nortronics heads I need for my 1962 Klemt Echolette NG51. I see them on eBay and I want 3 record heads and the 2 playback heads to ressurect this very cool old machine.
Hope you can help me out with some details that will help me buy the right ones.
Thanks
Show replies
Old 23rd June 2017
Here for the gear
Home Improvement SPACE ECHO RE-201

Anyone catch the Roland Space Echo RE-201 in a 1993 episode of Home Improvement? Episode 11, season 3, and is called "Feud for Thought". Tim and Jill have to travel to Washington D.C. For Jill's 20-year high school reunion. At the reunion, the M.C. Is having issues with the microphone and Tim goes up to try and fix it. You can see the RE-201 on top of what appears to be a speaker and it starts smoking and then sparks start flying out of the bottom. Classic Tim Taylor The episode is on Dailymotion. If you want to see the RE-201, go to 20:45.
Show replies
📝 Reply