The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog Hardware Alternative To Plate Reverb
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
The last example posted is a fun device, but will never achieve that luscious dark tail without a certain amount of surface area and the ability to tension it properly.
Did you listen to the links? No long tail ... but surprisingly it sounds quite nice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
You mean one of these?

https://reverb.com/item/3943607-vint...king-condition

Wow. They look hard to find, but great. Unfortunately there's no hope of affording that any time soon, haha!
I've used one, it sounds good but it's much more on the dark side (compare to the 140)...4000€ is too much.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll echo that over and over...
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This discussion is still reverberating ten pages later.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have a nice (70's style) decay.
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
This discussion is still reverberating ten pages later.
Only in your room... you obviously need more absorptive treatment.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Has anyone made a nice sounding plate out of 2x4 ft sheet of steel as opposed to the larger EMT style sheet? I've got room for one those in a frame in my space but nothing larger.
Old 1 week ago
I might as well tell my EMT plate story. I knew an old guy in my city a few years ago. He had run a studio that started in 1953 and was the longest running studio in Minnesota. He was a cranky old bugger but full of knowledge about old recording techniques. He had a perfectly maintained and tuned EMT plate. I tried to buy it from him which led to him accusing me of trying to take advantage of him. He'd only say over and over..."I know what it's worth, I know what it's worth" etc. and wouldn't entertain any reasonable offer I made. Well he also owned a radio station. Fast forward a year and he had sold the building which housed his studio and radio station and was getting ready for retirement. In the midst of the transition, he had the EMT moved out to the transmitter for temporary storage. Well, the new owners took possession, found his plate, thought it was junk and hauled it off to the landfill. I couldn't help but rub it in..."you should have sold it to me." He still would not agree that he should have.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Great story. There may be a dump somewhere that when the dogs bark it makes a lovely faint resonant sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Great story. There may be a dump somewhere that when the dogs bark it makes a lovely faint resonant sound.
There's a dirty reverb tail joke in there somewhere.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

And it might bear repeating...repeating...repeating...
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
I might as well tell my EMT plate story.
Here's my EMT in the garbage story.

One of my long-time clients is a local radio station, which is part of a larger network. The station's chief engineer called to say that he had a cleanup crew at an obsolete radio facility that was being used solely as a backup transmitter. He said that I was welcome to any gear that the crew was cleaning up.

With visions of a free Fairchild 670 or RCA BA-6A, I drove like a wild man to the site. I arrived just in time to see the crew tossing parts of an EMT plate into the dumpster. They told me that since it was too heavy to lift up the stairs from the basement, they broke it part.

I cursed at them. That did't faze them. When I told them what the EMT was worth before they destroyed it, they looked stunned. I grabbed the plate in pieces anyway.

I searched the facility for more gear, but all I found was a bunch of vacuum tubes in the workshop and a custom Atlas mic stand with the station's call sign engraved on the clutch.

I still have the EMT plate. The frame is intact, but the plate is bent and wooden case is cracked. It's available if anyone is interested.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search