The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Correct Cables
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Correct Cables

Hello,
I made the mistake of diving in to buy a set up without considering the correct cables.

I've always just plugged in and got on with things.

Now, I'm opening a record shop and want to be able to play vinyl as well as stream music from something like bandcamp. So i thought the rme babyface pro would be a great hub to connect everything to and within my budget.

I have a babyface pro, a Schiit audio Mani, Technics SL-110 and Abacus C-Box 4 with A-Box 12 sub.

But I think the rme may be a little more complex with regards to cable connections and i reckon i've bought the wrong cables...and pretty expensive ones!

I bought Audio quest red river xlr out of rme to rca in of the Abacus.
And I have rca out of schiit mani to xlr in of the rme.
The laptop is connected to the rme.

I wanted the rme to be a hub, but I can only hear just barely audible sound.
When I tried to listen to the vinyl there was a lot of hiss and the quality was very muffled, low in volume and louder in one channel

Then I plugged in a cheap 1/4 inch to rca out of the headphone out to the rca speakers and it worked fine.

So, i've messed up. Could someone please enlighten me as to the laws of cable connections, what works with what and what I should be using.

Thank you very much in advance.
Ross
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Since you're using the Babyface Pro as the hub, I'd recommend contacting RME. They should be able to talk you through it. I have a feeling that the problem isn't the connectors/cables, but the settings on the RME. There's also a chance that the XLRs don't like being connected to RCAs. If *everything* works fine when you're just listening to the RME on headphones, then it's something with the connection between RME and speakers, which could be a cable problem or a settings problem in the RME. If it doesn't all work fine through headphones, then work on one item at a time.
But, again, best bet is probably just contacting RME.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Your post is confusing me. Can you start at each source and describe exactly the signal flow, and what ends are connected to what? The rear Babyface Pro inputs can accept xlr, trs, or ts inputs.

Xlr is typically balanced and rca is always unbalanced. So there's probably an issue with that somewhere, as there are different ways to wire unbalanced xlr's. Can you link to exactly what xlr/rca cables you bought, or to a description or something if they're custom.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hello, Thank you both for replying.

I messed up on the cables. I've sent the Babyface back and will invest in a Schiit Jotenheim. This is simpler and more suited to what I need it for in the record shop.

I occasionally make music and will just use my Sound Devices MixPre 6 AD or figure something else out when the time comes.

Good day
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Buying new gear won't resolve problems related to basic knowlege, but research can.

Inputs, outputs, send/returns.

Mic level, instrument level, line level, speaker level.

Balanced, unbalanced.

Get a feel for those, and a lot of your cabling issues will go away.

Just because you can buy a fitting or adapter at the hardware store which will let you connect your garden hose spigot to your gas meter... doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Same goes for audio. There is risk to equipment, risk to you, risk to others, fire risk, etc, in the spectrum of possibility.

Coupla hours searching and reading the terms I posted will open a lot of doors for you.

One more thing... I plan to spend about a buck on cables, for every dollar I spend on gear. Maybe more, maybe less, but the point holds. Getting it wrong can he expensive in many ways.

Good luck!

:-)
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Thank you JayTee4303. Noted and appreciated.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search