The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why was all the bass stripped out of music in the 50s/60s/70s?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #271
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

The grass was always greener on the other side of the pond. When I visited EMI in 1969 we had a long discussion comparing our gear and approaches. Everybody in the room was shocked by the degree to which we used the very same kinds of gear and approach to recording. It all came down to who was in front of the microphones and dealing with the limitations of vinyl.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #272
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The grass was always greener on the other side of the pond. When I visited EMI in 1969 we had a long discussion comparing our gear and approaches. Everybody in the room was shocked by the degree to which we used the very same kinds of gear and approach to recording. It all came down to who was in front of the microphones and dealing with the limitations of vinyl.
The Beatles were miking bass amps most of the time from what I know, whereas you at Motown were 100% DI... that’s.a pretty significant difference!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #273
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

We both did both.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #274
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The grass was always greener on the other side of the pond. When I visited EMI in 1969 we had a long discussion comparing our gear and approaches. Everybody in the room was shocked by the degree to which we used the very same kinds of gear and approach to recording. It all came down to who was in front of the microphones and dealing with the limitations of vinyl.
Gear wise, would that have been the same conversation in say, 61 when they were still using thier odd REDD mixers and in-house BTR tape decks? By 69 they had solid state consoles with build in compressors and various commercial tape decks. I'm sure the approaches would still have been similar though - you're all professionals! PS it's great to have a legend like you on these boards - your posts are always so interesting!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #275
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

They had just put the TG in Studio 2 along with a headphone system and 8 track. We were five years ahead of them on those and had just gone 16 track. Studio 1 still had a REDD. A compressor on every input of the TG blew my mind but the engineers told me they preferred the sound of the REDD. I could relate because I preferred the sound of our Altec tube preamps to the solid-state ones in our newly acquired studio.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #276
Lives for gear
 

Yes Scragend! Reminds me of my conversations, and hanging out with... With the late/great "Wrecking Crew" Bass player, Max Bennett. Another sharp cookie.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
  #277
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
Gear wise, would that have been the same conversation in say, 61 when they were still using thier odd REDD mixers and in-house BTR tape decks? By 69 they had solid state consoles with build in compressors and various commercial tape decks. I'm sure the approaches would still have been similar though - you're all professionals! PS it's great to have a legend like you on these boards - your posts are always so interesting!
Yep, it is great. There's lots of stuff printed out there, but the only one that (actually really knows) what happened in the studio is the engineer that was there.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #278
Lives for gear
 

Sigma (Mike Tarsia), and JJ Blair's posts are always insightful too. I hope they come back to this thread.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
  #279
Old 4 weeks ago
  #280
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Speaking of transistors and Revolver . . check out these transistor amps (same as used on Revolver).

I don’t know the amp on the right, but the 730 on the left is a tube amp with EL34s.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #281
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I don’t know the amp on the right, but the 730 on the left is a tube amp with EL34s.
Yep, hybrid. And on the right, that's the one I want ! ! !
Old 4 weeks ago
  #282
Gear Guru
The Vox I wanted blew up 40 years ago in a friend's basement. Traded a sax for it and rue that to this day......!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #283
Lives for gear
The Vox Super Beatle (Thomas Organ?) solid state amp had a circuit that would briefly mute the output if it was overdriven. Some genius bypassed that circuit, and his amp literally went up in flames. I regret not being at the Fish and Game for that performance.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #284
Lives for gear
 

I was! It was a medley of... Arthur Brown's Fire/Light My Fire/Ohio Players Fire, followed by Blue Oyster Cult's "I'm Burnin' For You".
Had to notify the Fire Dept, when the heat was on. Or might've burned down the mission, next door.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
  #285
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
I was! It was a medley of... Arthur Brown's Fire/Light My Fire/Ohio Players Fire, followed by Blue Oyster Cult's "I'm Burnin' For You".
Had to notify the Fire Dept, when the heat was on. Or might've burned down the mission, next door.
Chris
Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Inner Mounting Flame. Some serious shiit.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #286
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Inner Mounting Flame. Some serious shiit.
One of my favorite albums ever. Definitely sounds better to me on vinyl!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #287
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
I was! It was a medley of... Arthur Brown's Fire/Light My Fire/Ohio Players Fire, followed by Blue Oyster Cult's "I'm Burnin' For You".
Smoke on the Water, Dancing in the Dark, Light My Fire... I’ve got to agree... “It’s getting hot in here...”
Old 4 weeks ago
  #288
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
One of my favorite albums ever. Definitely sounds better to me on vinyl!
It's quite a mystifying album, otherworldly, for lack of a better term. I think farthest from and the most intense of the branches of the Miles Davis fusion tree at that time (1971) of the notables: Weather Report (Wayne and Zawinul), Herbie (Mwandishi) and Chick (RTF).

McLaughlin and Billy Cobham play like men possessed.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #289
They were possessed at the Whiskey show they did in Hollywood in 1972. I never saw a drummer hit the drums so hard. I thought they were going to break apart. It was like a NFL lineman playing the drums.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #290
Lives for gear
 

Did they play "Wichita Lineman" then?
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
  #291
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
That's called wooding (wood abuse) unless they were hickory.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump