The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Depreciated Outboard
Old 18th October 2019
Here for the gear

Best Depreciated Outboard

What is your list of the best available used and now cheap outboard equipment to add to your studio?

The definition of cheap here being depreciation from original list price. Could be a piece of budget gear selling for £20 now or something that listed at £10,000 now selling for £1000.

What ever you think is an absolute steal for the money, list it.
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Nut
Klark Teknik DN504 compressor. Used to be expensive, now goes for pocket change.

To a lesser extent, the Peavey VMP preamp, was $700 in 2002, today you can get one for $600.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

UREI/JBL 7110 compressor. Features and sound are excellent, even in relation to comps like the 1176. You can probably find them for $100 or under.
Old 18th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by adumbfish View Post
Klark Teknik DN504 compressor. Used to be expensive, now goes for pocket change.

To a lesser extent, the Peavey VMP preamp, was $700 in 2002, today you can get one for $600.
$600 in 2002 = $853 in 2019
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Let’s see if we can get the price of Anything to triple by The end of this thread!!
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
$600 in 2002 = $853 in 2019
Point taken. But it was $700 in 2002, which would be the equivalent of $1,000 today. The used value has remained fairly steady in terms of actual dollars, but with inflation it's a world-class piece of gear more affordable than ever.
Old 18th October 2019
Pretty much ANY large format console from the 90’s. What was $50,000 new then can be had for a couple thousand now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Mangum View Post
Pretty much ANY large format console from the 90’s. What was $50,000 new then can be had for a couple thousand now.
Yeah, the Soundcraft Ghost is a classic example. Yamaha PM2000 another great example others are there, names escape me atm.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

+1 on KT DN504
- 4 compressor in one rack space. Hard
and soft knee compression.

Also, Aphex 651
- even better with the Jim Williams mod

White Instruments 4100a
- it’s a graphic, but it’s full of high quality
inductors and Dale metal film resistors

KT DN27a
- again, a graphic, but full of inductors

Idk what the Ashly SC50’s and 55’s went for new, but I have a rack of them for leveling stereo guitars. All modded with modern op amps. Stock they have the same op amps as the La4 and sound very similar to my ears. I have both.

I just paid $40 for a Soundcraft 500 series 40/8/2 console. Consoles are stupid cheap right.

Without naming names, I’m shopping for outboard effect as I post and there are lots of great deals out there. Do your homework.

I’m actually quite happy with this cheap vintage clone craze. All these newbs don’t know about the great utility pieces we all use to fight over on the Bay.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Never rated gear by cost ...but that said, I could record albums all day long on a 144 Porta studio, one or two dbx One-Knob Squeezers, and a handful (or less) of SM57s. In other words, cheapest stuff in the world.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Mangum View Post
Soundcraft 8000’s. I missed one for like $1500 and it was loaded with the 4 band parametric EQ modules. I saw in another thread they were like $60k new. Again, the brainwashed scoff because it doesn’t say Neve, API, or SSL.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Good small format mixers - Soundcraft, Allen and Heath, Mackie that would go for 1000-2000 new can be found on my local craigslist for 200-400 dollars.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search