The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me choose a Preamp - Vintech/Heritage & more
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Help me choose a Preamp - Vintech/Heritage & more

Hello everybody ,

I need advices to get a good Pre-amp for myvocal/guitar chain.
I was currently recording with two channel strips from a Neve 51 Series. But they where calling for a recap asap.
As I actually didn´t love the preamp on the strip, I sold them for a fair price.

Now I am looking for something to keep on tracking in my studio. I am looking for a rounded colourful sound. Something that can make a vocal have the right amount of weight, not muddy, not harsh.

Mics at my locker?
- AKG 414xls, Neumann U87ai, Sterling st66 &st69 and RE20.

Options
- Vintech Audio Dual72
- Heritage HA73x2 Elite Series
- Focusrite ISA Two
- Langevin Dual Mono Mic Preamp

What would you get at this price range?

Cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have been really pleased with the Wam TB12 + Klark Teknik KT-2a chain. Lead vocals sound big, smooth and full with a nice character. I also highly recommend checking out the new Cranborne Camden preamps. These are only available in the 500 series format at the moment but from the demos the Mojo circuit really adds tons of character and sounds wonderful.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That Warm Audio Tone Beast should be in everybody’s rack...

I like the dual vintech, too... two channels gives you options later to use it for stem treatment etc

In general, I really like the workflow of tracking using a high quality hardware based api, neve, UA, etc and playing with ITB modeled EQs to recreate an entire channel... and if that doesn’t sound sexy, usin whatever EQ works
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I never tried the Warm Audio Tone Beast, maybe I´ll try to get a studio here to test it.

Although, I am looking for something different. I don´t feel great about selling two Neve Channel Strips and replacing them with Warm Audio :/

What do you guys think about the listed preamps?

Cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maostudios View Post
I never tried the Warm Audio Tone Beast, maybe I´ll try to get a studio here to test it.

Although, I am looking for something different. I don´t feel great about selling two Neve Channel Strips and replacing them with Warm Audio :/

What do you guys think about the listed preamps?

Cheers!
I’ve used different models than what u mentioned of the vintech and heritage pres.
Both are great! I have a vintech 473. Tbh, it’s the shelving eq on it that makes it shine. Even just a little makes the channel come alive for me. Often, more than just a touch. So with that in mind, I’m not sure I’d be totally happy with a vintech 72, as it has no eq..

The heritage belongs to a buddy. It’s the 500 series pre and eq that uses 2 slots. I know he leans on that more than his vintech 473.

Both are great though.

I’d check out the vintech 273. Shelving eq goodness on that one.

Heritage elite series is definitely interesting. Seems like such great value for money. Full channel strip for not a lot of cash. Look forward to trying one myself. Infact, you just reminded me to pick one up next week for a play around.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search