The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Processing a neutral mic to sound more flattering?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Processing a neutral mic to sound more flattering?

Hey guys,

I’m in the process of finishing up vocals for my first EP. I’ve recorded everything using an AT4050 condenser, through the UAD Neve 1073 emulation, in a very dead room, and no other processing.

It all sounds great, but is a little clinical and neutral. Historically I’ve loved U47 clones and other tube condensers , and I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions for (in the box) ways to process my dry signal to get a slightly thicker, softer sound?

My best reference is Nick Cave’s recent album Ghosteen, which is an M49 through a Neve onto tape.

So far I’m thinking of tape emulation, and maybe putting it all through another layer of console emulation.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Without listening, a touch of a short delay can really bring out a 3D effect.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Without listening, a touch of a short delay can really bring out a 3D effect.
My standard vocal chain is actually a plate and a Roland Space Echo. Makes a big difference - although as my singing gets better I use less and less reverb.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search