The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gefell M71S History/Information
Old 15th October 2019
Here for the gear

Gefell M71S History/Information

Hello! I have a Gefell M71S that I am trying to get a little more information about, as I may be putting it up for sale to fund another mic purchase. The people at Gefell have helped me narrow down that this specific model was made between '92 and '94.

I am still waiting back to hear if they can provide any information about the differences between that and the MT71S (or, any other mic). Can anyone here shed some light on any differences? As well, what a reasonable going price for these mics these days might be?

Thank you!
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarlow View Post
Hello! I have a Gefell M71S that I am trying to get a little more information about, as I may be putting it up for sale to fund another mic purchase. The people at Gefell have helped me narrow down that this specific model was made between '92 and '94.

I am still waiting back to hear if they can provide any information about the differences between that and the MT71S (or, any other mic). Can anyone here shed some light on any differences? As well, what a reasonable going price for these mics these days might be?
The M 71S is the cardioid only version of the UM 70S.

The spec sheet of the UM 70S is HERE

The specs at cardioid would be the same.

It's the transformer version of the newer transformerless MT 71S - and the spec sheet for that is HERE

So you can compare the two.

The new price of the MT 71S is € 1,120.00 +VAT and the s/h price of the M 71S will depend on the condition and what someone is prepared toi pay for it.

As far as I remember all these microphones have an 80V bias voltage - the earlier MV692/UM70 had a 60V bias voltage.

I hope this helps.
Old 15th October 2019
Here for the gear

John--That was very helpful. Thank you!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So, the people at Gefell followed up with me, and here is the information that they provided:

Quote:
the M71S is the predecessor of the MT71S.

The technical data are the same. The only difference is that the M71S has got an broader preamplifier than the MT71S.

The diameter of the M71S preamplifier is 25mm and the diameter of the MT71S preamplifier is 21mm.
I think that the meaning of "preamplifier" may have been lost in translation. Do you think that they meant the capsule diameter?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I think that the meaning of "preamplifier" may have been lost in translation. Do you think that they meant the capsule diameter?
No - it's the body diameter. The capsule diameter is 42mm for both the M 71S and MT 71S.

It's the body that contains the electronics that power the capsule, raise the level to standard microphone level and balance the output and has the XLR output.

Really it's a pre-pre-amplifier.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ahhh, gotcha. What sort of effect would you think this have on the tone of the microphone versus the smaller MT71S?

Edited to say sorry if I am asking dumb/newbie questions. I don't have a great working knowledge of the mechanical aspects of microphones. I am really trying to get an idea of what exactly this mic is, and if I want to hold on to it or not. I appreciate your patience and information!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ahhh, gotcha. What sort of effect would you think this have on the tone of the microphone versus the smaller MT71S?

Edited to say sorry if I am asking dumb/newbie questions. I don't have a great working knowledge of the mechanical aspects of microphones. I am really trying to get an idea of what exactly this mic is, and if I want to hold on to it or not. I appreciate your patience and information!
The only real difference is that the M71S has a transformer and the MT71S is transformerless.

The microphones are the same size really - it's just that the older M71S has a wider body to incorporate the size of the transformer - as the MT71S does not have a transformer, as it is electronically balanced, the body can be narrower.

Electronically balanced has a cleaner sound - a transformer adds a bit of "colour" that many people like for vocals - and - a transformer is better if you are running long cables in an environment that has a lot of RF.

Personally I prefer electronically balanced - but each to his own.

I hope this helps.

If I had this microphone I would keep it and not sell it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Again, i greatly appreciate the information. I would like to keep the Gefell, but I am really wanting something more similar to a Neumann 269 flavor. For reference, I mostly do violin/fiddle/mandolin/acoustic guitar overdubs. I have had to the opportunity to use a couple 269c's in the last few months, and really like the how that style of mic matches up with my violin (and mandolin too).

Currently, the front runner on my wish list is an RMS 269 (open to suggestions). I am not sure that I can afford to have both mics in my closet right now, but I am trying to find a way.

Thanks again!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have an M71 (no s). What do you suppose the difference (if any) is? Maybe the time of the manufacture.

I know that this was one of the early Gefell to get to the US after the Berlin wall came down.

On the base of the XLR opening is stamped MV 692 and Serial number 2257. The body doesn't have the GPrime logo. Curious. The top has a serial number Nr3752.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Last edited by Ty Ford; 2 weeks ago at 09:43 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
AFAIK, the "S" denotes a lower noise floor (higher bias voltage). Jerry at Gotham subsequently imported these for orchestral work. The no "S" is fine for rock/pop etc.

AFAIK the "M" denotes cardioid only. The "UM" denotes additional pickup patterns.

AFAIK "T" denotes transformerless (no transformer). No "T" (ie just "M" or "UM" denotes the presence of a transformer).
Correct

The data sheet for the MV692/UM70 is HERE

The data sheet for the UM 70S is HERE

The data sheet for the UMT 70S is HERE

The data sheet for the MT 71S is HERE

If you want any other Microtech Gefell data sheets they are on this page
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
AFAIK, the "S" denotes a lower noise floor (higher bias voltage). Jerry at Gotham subsequently imported these for orchestral work. The no "S" is fine for rock/pop etc.

AFAIK the "M" denotes cardioid only. The "UM" denotes additional pickup patterns.

AFAIK "T" denotes transformerless (no transformer). No "T" (ie just "M" or "UM" denotes the presence of a transformer).
Hey, thanks, Cine and John,

I still use mine and really appreciate its sound. Jerry Graham!!!! Wow a name from long ago. I hope he's happy out in the woods. He's the one who sent me the mic to review along with some heavy duty mic cable with grounded shell XLRs. I think he knew about the RF issues.

I recall thinking it was the most "Neumanny" sounding non-Neumann mic I'd ever heard and at a very good price. I forget. Did it enter at $995?

Gotham changed to GPrime. Don't remember why.

Regards,

Ty
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I recall thinking it was the most "Neumanny" sounding non-Neumann mic I'd ever heard
Well - Microtech Gefell *are* the original Neumann company and are still owned by Georg Neumann & Co., the company that Georg Neumann started in 1928.

As opposed to Georg Neumann GmbH, which Neumann set up after WWII, and is now owned by Sennheiser.

And the M7 capsule is the original Neumann one made as Georg `Neumann intended.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Well - Microtech Gefell *are* the original Neumann company and are still owned by Georg Neumann & Co., the company that Georg Neumann started in 1928.

As opposed to Georg Neumann GmbH, which Neumann set up after WWII, and is now owned by Sennheiser.

And the M7 capsule is the original Neumann one made as Georg `Neumann intended.
Interesting. I had heard from Jerry that they were separate companies, but were friends.

Ty
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That is because John is incorrect.

I also remember the under 1G pricing for UM70 mics when they were first available here.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
That is because John is incorrect.
Er.. No, I'm not...

Microtech Gefell is wholly owned by the original Neumann 1928 company.

Because Microtech Gefell basically *is* the original that Neumann moved out of Berlin during the war - then trapped in the East and forced to change its name - then restored to the original owners after 1989.

Neumann's family had, by that time, already sold Neumann Berlin (the company he set up after the war) to Sennheiser. After the original company was then restored to them, they sold it to the management that were running Gefell (in a nutshell).

The Microtech Gefell history is HERE in Wiki.

There used to be s full history on the Gefell website, but it's being redone and is only in German at the moment and I can't find the original pages.

Hugh Robjons' article on the history is here
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

(scene)

John drives to Wendy’s.

“Hey, anyone feel like having the original Kentucky Fried Chicken?”
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
(scene)

John drives to Wendy’s.

“Hey, anyone feel like having the original Kentucky Fried Chicken?”
What's "Wendy's"?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

UM71s is the low noise version of the M71. I bought mine in 1993 for around $800.

Love seeing Jerry Graham's name in print on GS!

What a great guy!-- who I learned so much from back in the mid 80's.

The OP should keep that microphone. It is an outstanding mic.

Don't chase a 269 unless you buy the real thing. No clone of a Neumann 269 would EVER be worth paying ANY money for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search