The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Darker Sounding Directional Dynamic Mics?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Any Darker Sounding Directional Dynamic Mics?

I have an EV 635 that I like, but it is omni. Are there any darker sounding directional dynamic mics worth looking into?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtan View Post
I have an EV 635 that I like, but it is omni. Are there any darker sounding directional dynamic mics worth looking into?
You'd probably like an MD408.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

The EV 666 is the darkest/warmest/dullest dynamic I've ever used. Pricy, EM-vulnerable and has a weird connector, but wonderful.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm presuming you mean small-diaphragm. If you're okay with large-diaphragm, the RE20 is not exactly dark, but it's almost completely flat. Unlike most dynamics, there is no hype in the high end (or proximity effect in the lows), so it sounds comparatively dark.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I've never understood the lust for the EV 666 over the 664—which can be had for totally reasonable prices. I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP and planning to grab a 664 which, quite frankly, I like better in recorded examples out there than the 666. Love the 635 too of course.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirker View Post
I'm presuming you mean small-diaphragm. If you're okay with large-diaphragm, the RE20 is not exactly dark, but it's almost completely flat. Unlike most dynamics, there is no hype in the high end (or proximity effect in the lows), so it sounds comparatively dark.
Eh, I love the 635 but the RE20 never did it for me (at least for vocal applications). Not dark enough, not back-of-the-throaty enough, not enough personality. Some of predecessors to the RE20 seem good though; however I haven't tried those personally
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars View Post
I've never understood the lust for the EV 666 over the 664—which can be had for totally reasonable prices. I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP and planning to grab a 664 which, quite frankly, I like better in recorded examples out there than the 666. Love the 635 too of course.
You could've just typed, "Nahhhh." :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
The SM7B without the presence boost is one of the flattest/darkest dynamics I know of... that’s why I like it so much.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Jesse Magnum beat me to it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
the beyerdynamic m201 has a somewhat similar fr as the ev but has a hypercardioid pattern - wouldn't call it 'dark' though...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

441 is my fave of all of them, with the brighter top ended M88 "Crown Prince".
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Beyer M88 has a really nice low end and is on the darker side compared to modern N/D mics, rounder than older EV dynamics, darker and better sounding than the popular Shure SM (sans for the SM7) series.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
the beyerdynamic m201 has a somewhat similar fr as the ev but has a hypercardioid pattern - wouldn't call it 'dark' though...
I would, in a way. The 201 doesn’t have a midrange bump, so even though it has an extended treble it doesn’t sound bright per se.

I must say the last batch I tried sounded a lot brighter than older models. I think they changed the manufacturing plant or something.
Old 4 weeks ago
I like the M201. Hypercardioid and it sounds great on very bright sources. Works on a lot of different stuff too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
I would, in a way. The 201 doesn’t have a midrange bump, so even though it has an extended treble it doesn’t sound bright per se.

I must say the last batch I tried sounded a lot brighter than older models. I think they changed the manufacturing plant or something.
i'm working with various genre and i'm mostly using mics with all but pretty flat fr so for me, even the old m201n is on the bright and not on the dark side...

sorry to hear about that the newer m201tg version to sound even brighter: this is something that bugs me with most any new directional mic, small and large, dynamic or condenser! - somewhat ironic in the days of digital when no one needs this, innit? so i guess i consider myself lucky to own lots of the old version!

(oh, and regarding the m88, this to me is definitely on the bright side but i guess most people use it on sources with tons of lf and get fooled by its capability to pick lf up very well... - love it for this ability too but 'dark'? no way!)
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
You'd probably like an MD408.
As you might be able to guess from my profile pic, I too vouch for the MD408. Stellar guitar mic, I love blending it with a ribbon

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I have a solid collection of SDCs, LDCs, and ribbons, and some of the dynamic mics mentioned (M201, M88, SM7b) along with some others, including a Placid Audio Copperphone (which is really colored), but I definitely need to dig into those older EV and Sennheiser dynamic mics. And maybe an old Shure Green Bullet.

Anything else I should look out for in terms of darker and/or more colored dynamics mics?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AKG D24. Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AKG D190, pretty dark
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've never used the 441, but I've only heard and read good things, so I'll have to try that one out sooner than later.

And I have no experience with AKG dynamics, either, so that's a whole other rabbit hole I'll end up going down.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've never used the 441, but I've only heard and read good things, so I'll have to try that one out sooner than later.

And I have no experience with AKG dynamics, either, so that's a whole other rabbit hole I'll end up going down.
MD 441, not an especially dark mic to me. I've always though it sounded almost like a condenser mic in dynamic clothing. Fairly flat response.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
MD 441, not an especially dark mic to me. I've always though it sounded almost like a condenser mic in dynamic clothing. Fairly flat response.
'In a world ...where +8 is 'flat

If I may..
https://br.shure.com/public/upload/d...et-english.pdf
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
'In a world ...where +8 is 'flat

If I may..
https://br.shure.com/public/upload/d...et-english.pdf
441 turn off the brilliance switch and bass rolloff is fairly flat response mic. The brilliance switch adds a presence lift peaking at about 6dB.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

+1 on the MD441.
The condenser analogy mainly stems from Sennheiser‘s own marketing copy.
Granted, it‘s one of the most detailed-sounding dynamics out there, but the condenser comparison might lead people to believe it‘s brighter or airier than it actually is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I definitely need to dig into those older EV and Sennheiser dynamic mics.
I suggest looking into Grundig as well. Sennheiser made mics for them in the 60's.

GDM 121 = MD21
GDSM 202 = MD408 capsule
GDSM 211 = MD409 capsule (amazing on toms!)

We used the GDSM 211 on toms on this session:

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I've never thought of the 441 as dark. More like grit-resistant.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Darkest dynamic I know of is the Sennhieser e609. You asking for vocals?

Green Bullet isn't dark, IMO. "Filtered" would be more like it. Sharp in the mids.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Not a dark mic, more hi-fi, smooth, very directional. one of my favs on snare top.
Old 4 weeks ago
Md441 on the M setting with the brilliance switch off is your friend.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search