The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Darker Sounding Directional Dynamic Mics?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
441 turn off the brilliance switch and bass rolloff is fairly flat response mic. The brilliance switch adds a presence lift peaking at about 6dB.
I remember the 441 as 'articulate but hadn't used one in years so I pulled up the pdf. Right off it shows a plot with various low contours, but what I did not notice it was also with the high lift engaged. I stand corrected.

https://martinmitchellsmicrophones.f...iser-md441.pdf
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also pretty unhyped-sounding, directional and - technically - a dynamic: Beyer M160.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Also pretty unhyped-sounding, directional and - technically - a dynamic: Beyer M160.
I find it pretty hyped in the mid range. Makes snares sweat and move. Love it on room as a mid in a M/S setup.

Also, while it is technically a dynamic, I don't know if I'd want to sing into it, despite the ruggedness of the dual ribbon design.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Worked for Billy Joel, on "The Stranger "album.

I'm keeping an eye opened for the new Soyuz Launcher, the preliminary video clips sound promising...
For dynamics/ribbons/tube mics, and non-tube LDC's (if you don't mind a separate phantom power unit).
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Worked for Billy Joel, on "The Stranger "album.
Chris
I think that might've been an M260c. Similar, as is the M500. Both worth having if you can find one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

M250 on "My Life", for example.
M160 Per Phil Ramone was also used on Billy... Per his book, "Making Records" (Chapter 12).
Can check more tonight.

Darn Brent, now I have to buy Phil's book! (looks great)
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
M250 on "My Life", for example.
M160 Per Phil Ramone was also used on Billy... Per his book, "Making Records" (Chapter 12).
Can check more tonight.

Darn Brent, now I have to buy Phil's book! (looks great)
Chris
I only said that because in the 80's Phil booked Billy sessions all over NYC and an M260c at the piano was part of his standard setup. Phil's own mic, I'm pretty sure, not something that most places just happened to have. The Stranger was quite a bit earlier, of course.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Good points. I'd love to try one of the Beyer ribbons, sometime.
Also the Samar ribbons look cool, the AL-95 is around $400 IIRC.

I sang/tried it at the last NAMM, and it sounded excellent IMHO.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The SM7B to me sounds "dark" (subjectively). It also has a high frequency cut switch... for even more darkness.

And for even more darkness still, you could run it into a Shadow Hills compressor. It looks sinister, rolls off transients, and the business leader dresses like a vampire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAcCFi4_TX4
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
(oh, and regarding the m88, this to me is definitely on the bright side but i guess most people use it on sources with tons of lf and get fooled by its capability to pick lf up very well... - love it for this ability too but 'dark'? no way!)
Which one? Hey M88TG is definitely not dark, as you say. The M88 N(C) I had for 15-years was definitely dark though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec_Eng View Post
Which one? Hey M88TG is definitely not dark, as you say. The M88 N(C) I had for 15-years was definitely dark though.
i occasionally measure and compare my mics to one or two measurement mics: i haven't seen much degrading over the years but a massive difference between some mics of the same type (and of the same age)!

anyway, i have three m88's, one with a body of the later tg version: these all sound and measure pretty close - i have no idea what's inside though...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

My old Tuchel M88 isn't what I would call dark. Quite zingy high mids like they usually all are.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

EV RE10/15 is pretty flat-ish
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I find the SE V7 and V7X to be just a little bit on the dark side. They are also only $99 in general. Good mics. Multipurpose.

My MD441 seemed kind of dark too. That was one of the best mics I have owned. Guess I should save up for another one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I’ve heard rumors over the years that putting an M88 on kick will “ruin” it and kill the highs, but I have no idea if that’s really just a wives-tale or not. I’ve never experienced it, but when I got my M88N(C) around 2000, it was already “old and well-loved”, and I only used it on kick for the best punchy 70’s-sound. It certainly had no high-mid zing on the few occasions I tried it on voice though. I’ve used 4 different M88TGs over the years and they all certainly had that zing that’s been talked about.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec_Eng View Post
I’ve heard rumors over the years that putting an M88 on kick will “ruin” it and kill the highs, but I have no idea if that’s really just a wives-tale or not. I’ve never experienced it, but when I got my M88N(C) around 2000, it was already “old and well-loved”, and I only used it on kick for the best punchy 70’s-sound. It certainly had no high-mid zing on the few occasions I tried it on voice though. I’ve used 4 different M88TGs over the years and they all certainly had that zing that’s been talked about.
Interesting. Maybe mine needs a prescription of kick duty.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search