The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tascam 388 new owner need help
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Tascam 388 new owner need help

I’ve just bought back a Tascam 388 to a friend of mine for a good price .
I was the one who put the idea to buy it in his head, years ago, we made a long travel in train to pick it up, I carried the monster, and I always knew deep inside that it will be mine one day . So here I am, contemplating it like a kid after cleaning it for hours . The outside is in very great condition . The recorder turns on, lights etc .
It was working when we picked it up, my friend then left it in a damn box and I don’t really know what happened but he didn’t use it at all .
I don’t have any tape yet, but the motor seems to work . I’ve tried to plug a mic and a DI electric guitar and can’t get a signal . Faders are not moving and there isn’t any hum or noise floor or white noise coming through my headphones .
I can here noise floor only when pressing the Aux button near the tape controler section .
Any ideas ? I should get a sound even if There’s no tape mounted, right ? Pardon my ignorance .
I know it will probably be a long journey to make it work perfectly, but any advices are welcome .
Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Maoz,

The 388 is very modular and there are a load of plastic connectors connecting everything. You may just have something loose inside as it's common for something to oxidize inside while sitting.

You can take the bottom metal plate off and unplug and replug in every connector in there. Just make sure it's not connected to the power outlet when doing this, and if you are not mechanical in any way, don't do this at all as you could create more problems.

But if you are mechanical and do this and that doesn't do it you can reseat all of the cards in the top part above VU meters. 6 screws hold in that top plate and all of those cards simply pull / push in and out. Again, be very careful as they are delicate and can break especially when pushing them back in.

Aside from that, any tech can service a 388 and many of the parts can be found on eBay.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

awesome !!! thanks a lot for your insight

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search