The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Old TEAC Model 1 for old style analog summing?
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Old TEAC Model 1 for old style analog summing?

I'm looking into some old-style analog summing solution. So, not so much the modern boxes like the DBox, but something with more character.

Now, I know I could get a passive summing box and then go into a preamp (I've got a pair of AMS 1073 500 for that), but I saw a couple of old TEAC model 1 on Reverb which got me curious.

How would something like that sound? Would it be a crackle-mud-fest? (maybe too much of a character!). I'm almost tempted to just get one and see - there's nothing like trying for oneself, but I just thought I would ask here first in case anyone has dealt with those.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubert_r View Post
I'm looking into some old-style analog summing solution. So, not so much the modern boxes like the DBox, but something with more character.
Well of course it has 'character' - it's old!

Quote:
Now, I know I could get a passive summing box and then go into a preamp (I've got a pair of AMS 1073 500 for that), but I saw a couple of old TEAC model 1 on Reverb which got me curious.

How would something like that sound? Would it be a crackle-mud-fest? (maybe too much of a character!).
You might be able to clean up crackles with a lot of spraying. And for summing, remember you probably won't be actually turning knobs during the bounce. As for mud, well isn't that the same thing as "character"?

I would be most concerned with the fact that it uses unbalanced RCA jacks for everything in the back.

I had one back in the day. It was something I got because I needed to cram a few more things into a limited mixer. It was a TEAC which means it was aimed at the "semi-pro" market. After "Radio Shack", it was about the cheapest thing that did what it did. Nobody bought one for the "character" back then, I can tell you that much. It performed a very simple function and did not color the sound too badly.

In those days, however we thought something was "good" if it was more transparent.

Silly us.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Yes, it's ironic how we are now looking for the imperfections that people once worked so hard to not have!

And granted, words like "character", "vibe", or "mojo" are thrown all over the place these days. But, I don't know, I'm after something I haven't been able to find yet, so I'm trying things out.

What would be the main concern with unbalanced RCA cables? My plan would be to just get RCA to TRS cables, and go from my Apollo to the TEAC (8 cables), and back to the Apollo (2 cables).

And yes, I know, Apollo/TEAC makes no sense. What can I say...
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubert_r View Post
Yes, it's ironic how we are now looking for the imperfections that people once worked so hard to not have!
I am one of those people who worked hard to not have those imperfections. And I still am. So I guess I am not really included in your "we" statement.

Quote:
And granted, words like "character", "vibe", or "mojo" are thrown all over the place these days. But, I don't know, I'm after something I haven't been able to find yet, so I'm trying things out.
I admit there is a place for 'grot' in music making, but I don't expect "grot" and 'character' to always be interchangeable.

Quote:
What would be the main concern with unbalanced RCA cables? My plan would be to just get RCA to TRS cables, and go from my Apollo to the TEAC (8 cables), and back to the Apollo (2 cables)
as I recall, the TEAC stuff was -10 as well as unbalanced. The rca jacks are usually an indicator. You may experience some level-matching issues - not just the adapting of the cable plugs. As I started to move into Pro gear, I had a friend build me a box to match the levels of my new board (+4) to my old deck (-10) and back again. As I progressed, I gradually got rid of anything that was -10. In those days , the line between pro and consumer gear was a lot 'brighter'. But remember, this unit is from those days.

Here is a thread
with more than you ever wanted to know on the topic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search