The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone know of any well known album/s with a very good sounding DI’d Bass Guitar?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofmai View Post
The reason I’m asking this question is that I have a Fender American Jazz bass, and while I think I would prefer the sound of a mic’d cab with the sound of the cone and air moving and all of that…I do not have the facility for mic’ing a cab in my home studio. I’ve read 2 conflicting threads on GS, one where the general consensus is that you should mic a cab, and another where a lot of people are saying that most engineers use a DI.

So what I’m really wondering is…is the DI option only for people who do not have a good enough situation to mic a cab, or can you get a really professional sound from a bass recorded through a DI/preamp? Is there a real “sound/vibe” you can get this way? If I record with my Fender bass I want it to be good enough that people might listen and think “that bass sounds awesome”, I don’t want to settle for something that sounds like a typical home recording. I make mostly ambient/chillout music and plan to get a Moog Subsequent 37, so if I reach the conclusion that I’ll only get sub-standard bass through a DI/preamp, I’ll sell my bass and use electronic bass on everything.

If anyone thinks I can get a fully professional sound through a DI/Preamp, is there any you would recommend? From reading online and looking at YouTube videos I’m currently drawn to the Sans Amp VT and Aguilar Tone Hammer, but I also like the sound of the LA 610 mk2.

But going back to my original question, it would really help me make up my mind if I could hear an album (preferably form an established band/artist) with bass recorded through a DI/Preamp, and even better if I knew what DI/preamp they used.
Everyone ..probably since the 70's or before, goes direct injection AND amp, then plays with the two channels at mix. Only the mix person or persons know exactly what goes down in a session. And following the session when they sneak a hired-gun bassist in to re-do the part anyway, lol . . .that does happen.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I see that they have a part that's a recreation of the A10 but not the A11.

Chances are it would work fine but I'm just curious about the one you said was so close to the original.
i think it's they "carry" our product..but at AES they had told me that they were now building them for my dad ..there were 50 with the A11 ..prob less than 5 left then open orders for the sowter..i think 200-300 dollar dif ..the sowter did nail it though and i'm picky hence pop had me do the testing
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

As a bassplayer and engineer, I used to hate DI and loved the sound of an amp. But I started to notice over time that the amp sound often is a bit hazy/undefined, and that great bassplayers with great sounding basses sound fantastic through a DI box.
I do think bass often needs a bit of distortion.

Huub
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
I do think bass often needs a bit of distortion.
Me too, most of the time. I usually do it with clean and dirty DI paths on the way in. The dirty path usually being a cranked API pre into a big old transformer with a trim pot. That recipe for dirty seems to keep the degree of saturation fairly even through a range of playing, which I've had trouble with using other methods like distortion pedals or the hardware Sansamp.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Me too, most of the time. I usually do it with clean and dirty DI paths on the way in. The dirty path usually being a cranked API pre into a big old transformer with a trim pot. That recipe for dirty seems to keep the degree of saturation fairly even through a range of playing, which I've had trouble with using other methods like distortion pedals or the hardware Sansamp.
I quite like both the Sansamp Bass Driver and VT Bass, but I'm not fond of using either for more than a mild overdrive. I'll throw something else in front if I want a proper distorted sound. (Idiotbox Blower Box has become a favorite, in front of the Sansamp or a proper amp.) But as a straight preamp, I like the punch of them. Going into a Warm WA76 and TB12 before it hits the computer. They'll do the job. This is primarily for grittier rock tones, so YMMV.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone, definitely keeping my bass. I've taken some of your advice and decided to get a high end DI. Monkeyxx, you are so right about the DI sound. Up until now I've been comparing it to the amped sound rather than just listening to it for what it is. I've decided to go for the REDDI as some of you mentioned. What really convinced me was this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwBQXJVArF0 When he switches from going through the Duet 2 (which I have) to the REDDI, I can totally hear that magical vibey thing I've been hoping to find without an amp. I feel that the REDDI really flatters the pure sound of a good instrument, while also making it sound more alive, warm, kind of creamy and slightly fuzzy in a really nice way. I'd like to try the likes of Sans Amp, Aguilar etc. as they have more tone shaping options, but I'm feeling that to get the sound I'm looking for...even the REDDI alone would do it for me, but if I want more tone options and a bit of an amp sound I can blend in a bit of an amp sim.

If anyone knows of a high end 2 channel preamp that sounds as good as the REDDI let me know as I could also use these with mics, giving me more options, but I haven't found anything on YouTube so far that has the particular mojo of a REDDI.

Thanks also for the music recommendations, some of my favourites below. Long live the DI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g45Ljqgijiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG_q...WTIvZh&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-9N0DEfmM
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Congratulations! Seems like a smart decision that will pay off. I'd love to own a REDDI or a ZOD DI some day.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
When you're running two DI paths in parallel, are you typically using a DI in front to do your multing to two destinations?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Back when I was working with just an interface (Duet then Apollo Twin), I was never satisfied with the sound of the bass plugged straight into either. It would sound okay in a mix, but not at all inspiring. Now, I use either: DI in on the Daking IV, JDI into a Neve clone, or the Reddi (sometimes followed by a preamp, sometimes not). These options make me always look forward to tracking bass DI because I know the tone will be meaty, rich, and vivacious. A good DI makes a HUGE difference.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
When you're running two DI paths in parallel, are you typically using a DI in front to do your multing to two destinations?
Yes, exactly.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Cheers monkeyxx.

Sounds good DSwaltz, was wondering about DI/preamp combos. Hope to try more options like that some day when I can afford a high end preamp.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

2 DI's in series is the trick to get the gtr or bass player in the control room and the amp in the studio

gtr chord>DI in> xlr cable run out > DI in > DI hi impedance out >amp

Last edited by Sigma; 1 day ago at 04:21 PM..
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
2 DI's in series is the trick to get the gtr player in the control room and the amp in the studio

gtr chord>DI xlr cable run out > DI in > DI hi impedance out >amp
You need an XLR sex-changer in there somewhere, but yes that can work.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

yup..i do it all the time ..it's a lot easier to be in the control room with the player
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofmai View Post
Thanks everyone, definitely keeping my bass. I've taken some of your advice and decided to get a high end DI. Monkeyxx, you are so right about the DI sound. Up until now I've been comparing it to the amped sound rather than just listening to it for what it is. I've decided to go for the REDDI as some of you mentioned. What really convinced me was this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwBQXJVArF0 When he switches from going through the Duet 2 (which I have) to the REDDI, I can totally hear that magical vibey thing I've been hoping to find without an amp. I feel that the REDDI really flatters the pure sound of a good instrument, while also making it sound more alive, warm, kind of creamy and slightly fuzzy in a really nice way. I'd like to try the likes of Sans Amp, Aguilar etc. as they have more tone shaping options, but I'm feeling that to get the sound I'm looking for...even the REDDI alone would do it for me, but if I want more tone options and a bit of an amp sound I can blend in a bit of an amp sim.

If anyone knows of a high end 2 channel preamp that sounds as good as the REDDI let me know as I could also use these with mics, giving me more options, but I haven't found anything on YouTube so far that has the particular mojo of a REDDI.

Thanks also for the music recommendations, some of my favourites below. Long live the DI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g45Ljqgijiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG_q...WTIvZh&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-9N0DEfmM
REDDI has the rich low end that fills out a track. You will enjoy.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
2 DI's in series is the trick to get the gtr or bass player in the control room and the amp in the studio

gtr chord>DI in> xlr cable run out > DI in > DI hi impedance out >amp
I'm a one-room wonder, so I don't have this problem.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict
I DI bass though my GAP 73 DLX - the version I have has the selectable pad for driving the output transformer which really fattens bass up. If I need a really slammed bass sound, I add my Joe Meek VC3 - the compressor ramp up is weird and quite brutal but is great on bass and the enhancer adds harmonics which helps the bass punch through on small playback devices.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Almost every reggae song/album has a DI bass, certainly most of the classic stuff from Marley, Tosh, Toots etc, this excludes the Skatalites of course, they always used a standup bass with a mic.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschinenraum View Post
I quite like both the Sansamp Bass Driver and VT Bass, but I'm not fond of using either for more than a mild overdrive.
These are great options. The VT is capable of more tones, but the Bass Driver is good at what it does too. I pair them with a Radial JDI, and this covers all basses. (no pun intended..)
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Anybody who haven’t tried the ZOD ID DI should really give it a try...there is a good reason why so many people are jumping on this thing...it sounds very nice indeed.
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

I have played fender jazz bass for 15 years (Highway 1 jazz for 10, and american elite for 5 more) and honestly I LOVE it's sound just DI'd.. Personally I like to DI, then Massey TapeHead a little, and L2007. I've always preferred it to any amp or amp sim sound. I just think it sounds a bit more present and clear to me than an amp mic'd up. If you can play well, it will sound great regardless of the amp or not IMO. Any session work I do, I never use an amp/cab, never felt my performance or sound recording was lacking due to no amp. Recently I have been using a Bass FlyRig's XLR out with the compressor on that, and that sounds great as well. But without the sansamp engaged. I don't like the sound of sansamp preamp on bass all that much, but so many players swear by them. Honestly what I really need is a good clean cable, and to make sure I'm not close to any EMF. Job done Bands who bring bass amps, fine I will mic it up, but it's same as anything, it's all in the fingers. If you can play clean and tight, DI always sounds great to me. And the more they talk about their amp and how it's mic'd and pedals this and that etc etc.. .the worse they play. Just how it is :/
Old 11 hours ago
Here for the gear

Cheers weezul, very refreshing and encouraging to hear that.
Old 11 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
... the more they talk about their amp and how it's mic'd and pedals this and that etc etc.. .the worse they play. Just how it is :/
Most of the people I know who are bass players by nature don't talk about that stuff much, they just play. The main exceptions being upright players; they can obsess.
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

I've never listened to a record or live mix and missed the sound of the bass cab, I've also never seen someone blindly select the sound of the bass cab in the context of a mix. Using both without some kind of phase tool to align both signals only smears the bass sound anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search