The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help Choosing a Microphone for This Vocalist
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Help Choosing a Microphone for This Vocalist

Hello, intending to purchase one of these mics for a project.

Which of these two microphones would you choose to pair with a BAE 1073 - and this vocalist (please see attached mp3)

1. Manley Ref Cardioid

or

2. Flea 47 Vintage

I'm really struggling to decide which one would be best for the job, I've heard that the Manley would be a nice complement for the BAE but The Flea seems to be a great mic also and may suit this singer/songwriter better.

I've included a rough demo track which should give you an idea of his voice type - (please excuse the recording quality)

This is my first post on the forum but I have checked the existing threads before posting and I'm still at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers
Attached Files

THE PEOPLE IN THE PARK.mp3 (8.99 MB, 135 views)

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmamoths View Post
Hello, intending to purchase one of these mics for a project.

Which of these two microphones would you choose to pair with a BAE 1073 - and this vocalist (please see attached mp3)

1. Manley Ref Cardioid

or

2. Flea 47 Vintage

I'm really struggling to decide which one would be best for the job, I've heard that the Manley would be a nice complement for the BAE but The Flea seems to be a great mic also and may suit this singer/songwriter better.

I've included a rough demo track which should give you an idea of his voice type - (please excuse the recording quality)

This is my first post on the forum but I have checked the existing threads before posting and I'm still at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers
There's only one solution to your dilemma..
You have to test them out yourself with that very vocalist.. These are quite different sounding mics.. Both good mics imho, but they have a different "charachter".

rent them or
go to a studio who has both or
speak to your dealer, shoot them out and send back the one you don't need.

I hope this might help somehow,

Cheu
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for your reply Cheu, it means a lot. I can't really argue with your logic, that definitely sounds like the best solution, just not sure how to go about that task. I can't afford to lay down the cash for both of them and then return one, so I suppose I need to find a studio in the North of England that has both mics or perhaps a company that may rent them out.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

I've found a place in Liverpool that offers a rental service (Studiocare) so gonna give them a shout but if there's anyone out there who's used the Manley Cardioid and/or the Flea 47 with a Neve style pre I would love to hear about your experiences, any feedback would be much appreciated.

My chain will be (MIC) > BAE 1073mpf > UA 1176 > LA2a > Apollo X6

Nice one

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search