The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NS10m Advice
Old 1 week ago
NS10m Advice

Forgive me if this isn’t the right place to post this question but I need some advice.

A pawn shop down the street from me has a pair of old NS10m monitors. Now the shop has no idea about music gear but they did have the common sense to google the monitors because they priced them at $450 for the pair. The center of the cones look beat up to me. They have dents in them. It looks like they’ve been used plenty but everything else cosmetically looks fine. The pawn shop says “yeah they work, I tried them when we first got them in and they worked.” They no longer have an amp for them (either do I) so they can’t actually prove they work.
Now, it’s a pawn shop, not a music store and they are willing to haggle. So my question is, how much would you realistically offer this guy for untested NS10m pair with no amp and dents in the cones? What are the odds they are even usable? Should I just pass and forget it? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

There's a company making woofers, but its not Yamaha. You could tell the shop guy that Yamaha no longer makes the woofers as a bargaining tool. Plus you need to have money for an amp.

Have you worked on NS10s? They're weird. Some people "get" them and others don't. I was in the later camp and moved mine shortly after they went out of production and they sold in HOURS on the Tape Op Message board.

The market is what it is, so I don't really know if they're asking a fair price. You could also wait a while, because they will probably sit on the shelf there quite a while.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quite a lot for NS10 for those money you can have my Amphion Argon with drivers in excellent condition and sound in different league.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth House Guest View Post
Forgive me if this isn’t the right place to post this question but I need some advice.

A pawn shop down the street from me has a pair of old NS10m monitors. Now the shop has no idea about music gear but they did have the common sense to google the monitors because they priced them at $450 for the pair. The center of the cones look beat up to me. They have dents in them. It looks like they’ve been used plenty but everything else cosmetically looks fine. The pawn shop says “yeah they work, I tried them when we first got them in and they worked.” They no longer have an amp for them (either do I) so they can’t actually prove they work.
Now, it’s a pawn shop, not a music store and they are willing to haggle. So my question is, how much would you realistically offer this guy for untested NS10m pair with no amp and dents in the cones? What are the odds they are even usable? Should I just pass and forget it? Any advice would be appreciated.
Forget it, too expensive, too much hassle if they are faulty.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

what's been mentioned: forget about them - for too many reasons to mention actually!

(you could 'test' them with a battery though...)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Get some JBL LSR305s and spend the extra money on booze.
Old 1 week ago
Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention I already have good monitors and don’t need these. I’m just asking you guys to put yourself in my shoes. You see these at a pawn shop down the street from you with no way to test them. What would you do? I don’t need monitor recommendations but I appreciate it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

of course one can get used to crappy speakers or even want a pair for occasional switching between speakers (if they are of a radically different design) but i really cannot see the point with the ns10's other than nostalgia...

imo they had some value (if any) for folks mixing guitar rock: to check out whether the overdriven guitars don't get too nasty in the mid range - if this was to case on ns10's, they were unbearable on most any other speaker...
but that was 30 years ago!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I found the AE22s to be a good substitute for the 10s. You can get woofers for 10s now but this particular one would need to be looked at closely in the event there is more damage internally.

AE22s and one Avantone Mixcube plus my main monitors and that's all I need.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth House Guest View Post
You see these at a pawn shop down the street from you with no way to test them. What would you do?
I would think "NS10s with dented cones and no way to test them, for $450??! You have to be kidding." and then I would walk into the café next door and buy an espresso and an almond croissant.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

sounds risky. a beat up old monitor set, without auditioning them and no way to return them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Worth less than $200pr in a pawn shop. $450 in a store if cosmetically sonically perfect.

Brad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search