The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1176 noisy knobs
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear

1176 noisy knobs

Just got a used 1176 and the input knob when turned makes a ton of noise...also seems like there are some dead spots, so it goes from quiet to loud with some spots in between getting quieter or the signal cutting out - this is with the compression turned off as well as on....

I've read 1176s knobs are noisy in general when turned so wondering if this is normal behavior, or if not, if it's an easy fix by a tech?
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear

Dirty pot. Believe there are sealed so either buy a replacement or take it apart and clean.
Old 7th October 2019
Here for the gear
I've had to fix a ton of these lately. It's not a normal pot, but a 600 ohm attenuator (depending on the revision). If you have a vintage one, it can be unmounted, the securing tabs pulled back, and then you can clean it.

I recommend the caig deoxit 100% solution on a foam brush, to clear away the junk, then deoxit Fader once that dries.

If you have the reissue, they have semi-sealed PEC pots. you can clean the front pot, but not sure about the back unless you can get past that glue. It's usually cheaper to buy a new pot from Studio Electronics. It's 85 bucks though. An alternative if you don't care about keeping things original is to get the Hairball Audio attenuator. Those are absolutely fantastic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search